XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steffon

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steffon

A new member. Hello everyone i have purchased a 1999 XK8 carnivale red converetible 6 months ago with 66789 kmh. 3 days ago the engine low coolant sign an dash comes on when parked car in garage coolant drips rapidly from the rear of block were the bell housing bolts on. First thought was the welsh plugs at rear of engine have let go ? Need some advice please......

Old 08-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard Steffon, great to have you here with us.

sorry to hear about your issues, but your post is in the wrong section. I've moved it to the relevant section where hopefully some of the gurus can help you out.....

Hope you enjoy the site.....

Loads going on, plenty of very friendly and helpful members as well as some excellent tech advice......all good!

In the meantime I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site

The following users liked this post:
steffon (08-26-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Yes, welcome!

There are a number of places higher on the leak list than the, what I call freeze plugs. Number one is the Norma connections between the engine heater hoses and the body heater hoses. Number two is a small coolant line that runs under the intake manifold to the throttle body. Three is the plastic coolant tower at the front of the engine which will dump coolant across the top of the engine to the rear.

My standard answer to coolant leak problems is to 'rent' a pressure test kit from your local auto parts store and pump it up. The leak will be evident.

The following 2 users liked this post by test point:
Cadillac (08-25-2011), JimC64 (08-24-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Congrats, this is fairly a low mileage , keep us updated and I believe you will fix your leak problem

Old 08-26-2011, 09:52 PM

thanks for the reply, after looking at top and rear of engine i found coolant sitting on top of the engine under the accelarator cable housing, it looks like it is coming out from underneath the plastic covering in the middle of the motor (please excuse my limited knowledge of this engine).

Old 08-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome aboard, let us know how it goes...

Old 08-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

take that engine cover off, four slight turns of those 'screws' and remove the oil cap, and it comes right off. Put cap back on, and start looking...it should be obvious now. Sounds like its coming from either underneath the overflow tank (very common) or the heater hose connection in that area (next common).

Both are intiutive DIY procedures if you choose to tackle it yourself. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:15 AM

Thanks for that I will tackle the job tomorrow

Old 08-29-2011, 07:50 AM

There are a number of places higher on the leak list than the, what I call freeze plugs. Number one is the Norma connections between the engine heater hoses and the body heater hoses. Number two is a small coolant line that runs under the intake manifold to the throttle body. Three is the plastic coolant tower at the front of the engine which will dump coolant across the top of the engine to the rear.

My standard answer to coolant leak problems is to 'rent' a pressure test kit from your local auto parts store and pump it up. The leak will be evident.[/quote]

Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 AM

I wish some one could tell me how to respond to the great help you are providing me

First time user i need help ?

Old 08-29-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
take that engine cover off, four slight turns of those 'screws' and remove the oil cap, and it comes right off. Put cap back on, and start looking...it should be obvious now. Sounds like its coming from either underneath the overflow tank (very common) or the heater hose connection in that area (next common).

Both are intiutive DIY procedures if you choose to tackle it yourself. Good luck.
Thanks for the help after removing the engine covers found the thermostat housing
o ring gasket were it joins to front reservor leaking badly, have purchased new thermostat and gaskets.
It will be a very easy fix,thanks for all the help as my local mechanic couldn't help.