XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straight pipes

Old 06-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Straight pipes

I recently installed the mina gallery exhaust system on my 2002 xk8 convert...i am pretty pleased with the result (especially the appearence)...however...the overall sound i receive was not what i was hoping for...my thought was to eliminate the center resonator and run straight pipes directly to my mufflers...is this crazy...i'm not wanting something that can be heard a mile away...but was hoping for something more aggressive than what i have now...is there any suggestions...am i on the right track or off my rocker...thanks for any input...eroc

Old 06-11-2009, 06:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi,
I have the MacLeod X-Pipes I in my XKR. They came in three different sound levels and I have the "Roar", which is the loudest. To me, it has a great sound when you put your foot into it, but is inaudible while cruising. I think that it is just right. Anyway, here are some Jags in a caravan crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. Bill MacLeod is in the Sea Foam Green XKR, and on this particular day he was running Straight Pipes. You can judge for yourself if this is what you are looking for.
Good luck,
Brian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSLjfvFGTs

Old 06-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Green Machine sounds throaty..thx for posting that video. Would love to drive my conv out on the left coast.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

It gets loud.. Trust me I have an X and two resonators in the rear and I've been pulled over for noise violations 5 times. I've always been able to talk my way out of it, and one time the cop just wanted me to pop the hood and asked me what I ran in the 1/4, but sometimes you get unwanted attention. It does sound out of this world though. I have people pull up next to me 1-3 times a day at red lights just to say "that thing sounds scary.."

Old 06-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. I did go ahead and had the center resonator removed and had the straight pipes put in. I like it. It is real close to what I was hoping for. However, I think it may be just a tad too much. It sounds AWESOME when you fire up the car. It sounds great at low RPM's. When you get into it a little more though, it seems the like the note sorta goes sideways. I think I should have put an X pipe in right at where the two pipes begin to meet after the cat's. I think that will help with the Harley Davidson motorcycle sound as well as the raspy sounds that come from getting into the throttle. I was looking at the Magnaflow universal X pipe. Would a smaller yet more aggressive resonator work as well instead of the X pipe. With the X pipe though, I'm pretty sure that is what I need to make this Feline growl the way I'm hoping it will. As of right now, I think it's just a little too much. I really probably should have done this in the first place I think. Please feel free to chime in with your thought's or idea's. I certainly would appriciate any one of them. Thanks, Eroc.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sports exhaust

I just put on the Adamesh sports exhaust system this weekend on my 06 XK8 and it sounds great! It is a cat back system which only took me 3 hours from start to finnish working on my driveway.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Considering straight pipes.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love it. I love the sound and I love a group of Cats riding together. I think Im going to search the forums for groups in Georgia

Old 05-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

This is a cross post from another thread, sorry if that bothers anyone.

I replaced the factory cats with the 200 cell high flow cats from NP. I have a Borla dual in dual out xpipe center muffler and the Mina exhaust.

My first hurried attempts at capturing the exhaust for another thread:

VID_20120528_171915.mp4 - YouTube

I forgot to turn off DSC, and the exhaust seemed to be blowing out the mic when it's close. I'll try another in a day or so...
VID_20120528_172123.mp4 - YouTube

The following users liked this post:
Jeff in Tucson (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

That sounds perfect.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Perfect...

Aw, YEAH!

Perfect, perfect, PERFECT!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone removed just the middle cans and what does it sound like?
cats - first can - middle cans - over axle pipes - back cans

Old 05-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jag01xk8
Has anyone removed just the middle cans and what does it sound like?
cats - first can - middle cans - over axle pipes - back cans
Yes, people have. I would suggest doing this instead of removing the center muffler. Make sure to keep them in case it's not the sound you want so you can experiment putting them back and removing either center/rears/whatever. I wouldn't throw away any of the cans if they're in great condition unless you're sure you have the exhaust note you're looking for.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:27 PM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

I put on an xpipe and straight pipe for the mufflers

Old 03-12-2017, 02:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fitted the straight Adamesh pipes in place of the rear silencers and got what I wanted.
A sensible rumble without, resonance and crackle. I finished mine with the quad tips.

Attached Thumbnails Straight pipes-img_0152.jpg  
Old 03-17-2017, 03:40 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian2000XKR
Hi,
I have the MacLeod X-Pipes I in my XKR. They came in three different sound levels and I have the "Roar", which is the loudest. To me, it has a great sound when you put your foot into it, but is inaudible while cruising. I think that it is just right. Anyway, here are some Jags in a caravan crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. Bill MacLeod is in the Sea Foam Green XKR, and on this particular day he was running Straight Pipes. You can judge for yourself if this is what you are looking for.
Good luck,
Brian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSLjfvFGTs

great video!!! someone needs to shoot this again with a drone. and tell Bill that his is my favorite XKR ever.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:06 AM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Electric exhaust cut outs right behind the headers.

Best mod I have ever done to any car ever, period.

Toggle switch makes them luxury car quiet to race car loud and anything in between.

Cost about $400 plus 4 hours labor.
Vector

Attached Thumbnails Straight pipes-1-box.jpg   Straight pipes-4-layout.jpg   Straight pipes-10-motors.jpg   Straight pipes-11-left-side.jpg  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:28 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have straight pipes now, I am going to put on a x-pipe this weekend. The straight pipes on it now, I didn't put on, they were on the car when I bought it. It does sound good but has a bit of four banger rasp in the tone. I'm hoping to kill it with the x-pipe.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:23 PM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BlooDSMeaR
I have straight pipes now, I am going to put on a x-pipe this weekend. The straight pipes on it now, I didn't put on, they were on the car when I bought it. It does sound good but has a bit of four banger rasp in the tone. I'm hoping to kill it with the x-pipe.
That's what I have and it won't kill the rasp much at all. I wish you lived close so I could take you for a ride lol. I'm ordering a Quicksilver exhaust today instead. Straight pipe and x pipe was fun while it lasted. I'll admit, it's fun waking up a neighborhood​when you get on it, but after a while, you'll get a bit tired of it (headache​). Feels like you lose a bit if torque downlow. But then again, I had the Mina galley exhaust before this, so it was a slight loss since it was a performance exhaust.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:25 AM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Already got the rear mufflers and resonators removed just have center muffler left. I am considering putting an x-pipe in next. However is it really that loud ? Also have you notice any HP increases ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Straight pipes