XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 07:25 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Strange Vibration

Recently replaced left rear wheel bearings and hub bearings. Now, when engine is under slight load I get a vibration. If I accelerate slightly it goes away or cruising on level road feels fine. If going uphill and engine starts getting slight load is when vibration appears. If transmission downshifts from overdrive and RPM increases it goes away. Anyone have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Could you say more about where and what is vibrating ? Is it all feel or is part of it noise? Since I've got your ear - what kind of vibration is it (as in period fast slow)?

Old 12-26-2016, 04:03 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale Dunn
Recently replaced left rear wheel bearings and hub bearings. Now, when engine is under slight load I get a vibration. ......
The difficulty here is to determine whether it is a consequence of the bearing replacement or merely a coincidence.

1. Consequence
When replacing the hub carrier bearings, the bearings must be shimmed to give the correct end float and the shims on the pivot pin must be replaced in their original position. Provided this was done you shouldn't have introduced anything to give rise to vibration other than the remote possibility of a bad bearing.

2. Co-incidence
A regular cause of vibration is failing rear suspension A Frame bushes and another is a worn Jurid coupling on the prop (drive) shaft.

Graham

Old 12-26-2016, 07:48 AM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I can't figure out yet where vibration is coming from. I just feel it through out car. No noise associated with it. I replaced the hub carrier shims where they came from and marked mounting bolt for correct placement. My biggest problem is this only happens under a slight load. If I get a chance today I may try jacking up rear and running. The vibration is just steady until car downshifts to increase load or road levels off. Then I can runs miles with no consequence

Old 02-22-2020, 12:52 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

New findings! One of the two transmission mount supporting brackets was deformed like this, possibly due to weight. By the way this was a new factory part. What could have caused the gearbox to sink like this?

Old 02-22-2020, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by quartetchiang

New findings! One of the two transmission mount supporting brackets was deformed like this, possibly due to weight. By the way this was a new factory part. What could have caused the gearbox to sink like this?

Make a new thread.

The following users liked this post:
quartetchiang (02-22-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 03:15 AM
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

On the consequence theme, check if you have knocked one of the balancing weights off the wheel/s you removed. For some reason I have done this twice on my XK8 but never on any other cars!