XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid people and my XKR

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Stupid people and my XKR

So as some know I started the, cant stop doing 100, thread well in the last 2 weeks Ive had a couple dumbasses actually play the, how fast can you go game, and have decided to share. I am sure others have better stories but these are mine.

First was a kid in a riced out Nissan Altima........ mind you it was nothing more than a loud muffler and fancy wheels who actually tried to take my from a stop light. I looked over and laughed as I put my foot in it and flew well past him. Lasted 15 seconds but he wont ever play with an XK again.

The best one was actually tonight..... coming home from dinner in town, driving on an empty country road I always drive. Speed limit is 50 but there is literally nothing there but farmland. Anyway I roll up on someone in a Chevy PU doing 50...... I always do 60 here so I pass him. Im rolling along and he runs up on me and tried to pass........ as he gets next to me as I slowly push up to 70 I finally have had enough and put my foot in it and roll away up to 90-95. He rolls back in behind me and runs up to 90 then tried to pass again........ and again as I roll up to about 95 when he is next to me to me I bury the peddle and just drive away up to 115...... he continues to try and catch me until I hit 120 and he backs off. Mind you there is NOTHING out here but still 120 is 120 and given anything going wrong I would been in trouble.

While I enjoyed spanking his Chevy loving butt........ and it might not have been the smartest thing to do.... but I will say this.

I LOVE MY XKR and STUPID PEOPLE !

Happy Friday night !

Old 04-14-2012, 07:00 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

We all love the combination of performance and luxury the XK provides.

I have pushed mine a few times, but always alone (no other cars involved) and always on empty roads and for very very brief moments.

With that said.....

As an ex firefighter I cannot tell you how badly the human body can be mangled in an auto wreck. Wes Craven on his best day could not do this horror justice.

Even if our XK's have the ability to get us out of trouble, if the guy in the other car was not so lucky it would change your life, for the worse, forever.

I don't mean to be the voice of gloom or bum anyone out but we all have someone that needs us.

By all means have fun. Be safe.

The following users liked this post:
BobF (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 07:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by lorwood
We all love the combination of performance and luxury the XK provides...

...Be safe.
Well put. Blitzing other road users when you drive a 400hp+ car is too easy. A bit like a lion taking on a domestic cat

Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Some kid in a compact Chevy crapbox wanted to race me last year. I just let him zoom past me when the light turned. I have nothing to prove and you never know when the guy in the next lane is going to swerve into yours for some unknown reason.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioXK
Some kid in a compact Chevy crapbox wanted to race me last year. I just let him zoom past me when the light turned. I have nothing to prove and you never know when the guy in the next lane is going to swerve into yours for some unknown reason.
Too true.
I'm the one in the Jaguar.
Let the pratts in the crapboxes play.
They're only envious at the end of the day.
Park next to the crapbox in a car park.
Which car is everyone admiring?
'Nuff said.
Roy.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

So... you never know when the guy in the next lane is going to swerve into yours for some unknown reason.

like this:
Two Turkeys on Thanksgiving Wrecking their Corvettes in The Woodlands - YouTube

Old 04-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Thats a real shame , two nice cars totalled in a few seconds of fun ,

Nik

Old 04-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by John Fox

While I enjoyed spanking his Chevy loving butt........ and it might not have been the smartest thing to do.... but I will say this.
Ha ha ha - I would do the same. Wide open roads, and a pick up guy trying to crawl by. Too good to resist!

Old 04-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What he said.

Speed is great, racing is a mugs' game.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

I concur. Keep it up and sooner or later, you wind up on the local evening news. Not because you look great in your car. Because you're dead in your car....

Old 04-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

When a real karate master is challenged by a stupid punk who he could easily destroy, he will only smile and walk away.

Part of understanding what it is to own a fine automobile like a Jag XK is that you don't have to outrun pickup trucks because both of you know that you could if you wanted to. Don't let some idiot prompt you into doing something foolish. (OK, I'm 58 now, I would not have been talking like this in my 20's, or probably not even in my early 30's)

I know that it is hard to resist putting someone in their place, but the incident that you are talking about here is the sort of thing that, if you continue, you will surely regret.

Sometimes if someone is next to me at a stoplight and wanting to take me on, I will pretend that I am about to race them and then when the light turns, I just pull out at normal speed, or even slower than normal. If they slow down to give me a look, I just laugh at them.

Swindon Andy (04-28-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Ya gotta resist the temptation, John. You have nothing to prove. Even if the other car is faster (there are lots of junk-looking sleepers out there) you are still motoring in a Jag. There's nothing classier, so relax.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Well I learned to never share anything like this again. I drag raced real race cars..... have done a little road racing in my life. Im old enough to KNOW BETTER but that doesnt change the fact that I believe we will die when we are supposed to, NO MATTER WHAT we think we are doing to make things better. I have a late wife to prove that point. Its how I look at it.

I surely didnt need to prove anything to anyone, but in this case I did..... I enjoyed it.... I didnt die but then I could before Im done typing this (heart attacks happen) but at least I still had fun doing what I did. I will again, NEVER comment about something like this again, guess its my ego but at 55 being spanked on a public forum doesnt sit well. Life is too short as was proven to me first hand 10 years ago when I lost my wife unexpectedly. Im done talking about it except to say.

Enjoy your car however you want.

Mexk8 (04-16-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Hey John--don't fret. I think it has something to do with the audience of the forum. There were a fair amount of those types of "street kill" posts on the Corvette Forum where I am a member but I believe the moderators relegated those posts to a special separate thread since they did not want those posts in the mix with others. Similarly you will find all sorts of "street kill" posts over on the various ricer forums and I suspect at the BMW forums.

The thing is that Jaguar owners are presumed to be a notch above that sort of thing. These cars are not really street racers but rather rolling art. The pleasure is "beating" the other guy in the looks department--even standing still.

Doug

Old 04-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Well I learned to never share anything like this again. I drag raced real race cars..... have done a little road racing in my life. Im old enough to KNOW BETTER but that doesnt change the fact that I believe we will die when we are supposed to, NO MATTER WHAT we think we are doing to make things better. I have a late wife to prove that point. Its how I look at it.

I surely didnt need to prove anything to anyone, but in this case I did..... I enjoyed it.... I didnt die but then I could before Im done typing this (heart attacks happen) but at least I still had fun doing what I did. I will again, NEVER comment about something like this again, guess its my ego but at 55 being spanked on a public forum doesnt sit well. Life is too short as was proven to me first hand 10 years ago when I lost my wife unexpectedly. Im done talking about it except to say.

Enjoy your car however you want.
I like your story, John. Be safe, though.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe we will die when we are supposed to, NO MATTER WHAT we think we are doing to make things better.
..doesn't meean I would walk blindfolded across a busy interstate.
While it is tough to loose a loved one too early consider that you may not die but be crippled for life and I know a person who can prove that point all too well...ejected from SUV that endeed up flipping on top of her putting her in a chair and affecting her dexterity in her arms as well for the rest of her life all at the early age of 30. Or even worse, you end up affecting another persons life like this,

But like you said and I agree...enjoy your car the way YOU want. (and accept any outcome)

Old 04-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
I concur. Keep it up and sooner or later, you wind up on the local evening news. Not because you look great in your car. Because you're dead in your car....
And of course, nobody cares about the idiot who caused the crash.
It's the poor so-and-so's who were minding their own business that get killed/injured I feel sorry for.
People who road-race in cars like Jags who have nothing to prove anyway, (or any other car for that matter) are the reason our premiums are so high. Answer? Take their licence away.
Sorry if I sound a bit high-horse, but I've known people seriously hurt in this kind of stupidity when they were nothing to do with it.
BTW John.... I'm NOT having a dig at you.
I've been daft in my XK once or twice too, and I know resisting the little pillocks in their sh-tboxes can be difficult.
It's even harder when their car has 2 or 3 mates in it, and they ALL think they can beat you.
Roy.

Last edited by roymattblack; 04-15-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Hey Roy--love your avatar. Where did you find that sketch of the XK8?

Doug

Old 04-16-2012, 05:45 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

No one is trying to "spank" you, John. It's more like caring about the Jag lovers and people who spend time here.

A year or so ago we lost a close member from the Corvette forum because he was out west visiting and made a dumb decision to venture up a long, isolated desert road. He got stuck and never made it out. It shocked us all, and it was even personal to the folks who had never met him. So, maybe we're just lookin' out for you.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I think everyone is guilty of having a little.... dare I say race on the roads.

I have done it myself in my XKR with another Jaguar XKR, there was also a Fiat Coupe and a Alfa Romeo, we left them behind as we both went over !!!mph, I had the slight edge as I was in a coupe and he was in a convertible, mine was also deristricted, I backed off at !!!mph....... Stupid maybe.... Fun yes...... Do it again.... In a heart beat!!!!!

Quick Reply: Stupid people and my XKR