XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subwoofers under the rear seat

Old 10-27-2017, 10:56 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Subwoofers under the rear seat

Just wondering if anybody has put subwoofers under the rear seat. I've seen a photo with the seat removed and it looks like there's a bit of depth there. I would assume they'd have to be very shallow and probably at most 10' or even as small as 8". Also I would assume that the magnets would have to be isolated from the metal floor pan, both for magnetism and rattling.

I have some JL 6.5" subs ready to go in the sides back there. Even though they'll be way better than the stock things, 6.5" doesn't put out all that much bass.

I've used subwoofers under seats before. The last time in a 4 door Ram. Sounded fine and way better than sticking them in a trunk.

So, anybody that's tried this before, or have taken a measurement under the seat when it's out?

Old 10-27-2017, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Leaving on one side my own personal opinions about trying to get high-end audio in a convertible car ................... if you have a '97 convertible, then you have two pretty substantial "proper" speaker cabinets on each side of the rear seats. Depends on whether you have a "standard" or "premium" system as to what they already contain, but I would have thought you would get better results by putting good quality drive units into each of those existing "boxes" - even if that involved cutting out a bigger hole - rather than trying to put something under the rear seats where even lower-range frequencies are going to struggle to get out. Your wiring would also be much simplified as you could use the existing loom(s)

Old 10-30-2017, 07:08 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It never fails to amaze me why people stick big subwoofers in their enclosed trunk. I prefer my subs in the car with me. Curse of playing a Rickenbacker when I was a young sprout. I've owned a lot of pickups over the years and in a quad cab I find the right under-seat enclosures for them and then mount two under the seats. They will be muffled a little bit, but will sound 1000 times better than in a trunk. Now as far as under the jag back seat, if there is roughly 3.5" of space between the bottom of the seat and the floor (I don't care if the seat is puffed up a bit, nobody human could sit back there anyways), I could easily find proper pre-boxed shallow subs with that height dimension. They're usually made for behind the front seat in a single cab pickup. The boxes are tuned to the sub, so no drop off of sound quality. I would just put some felt matting under the box so it didn't rattle the car apart and it would be in there very tight. The boxes have grilles on them, so the seat would not restrict the woofer movement. Now if I had a coupe i'd remove the back seat back and just stick a monster sub in a ported labyrinth box in the trunk facing forward. I have one, the cone moves 4". Easily filled the large sleeper in my semi tractor with bass, and people could hear and feel it outside over the racket and rumbling my motor was making. But alas, if there's not enough room under the seat, I guess I'll have to suffer with the tiny little 6.5" JLs I already have for it.