Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions please for new tires for XKR

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Suggestions please for new tires for XKR

Hi,

I know there is fair degree of subjectivity, but figure I'd poll those who care regarding tires.

It's just about a year since I found my 2000 XKR, having had a wholly irrational yen for the XK8 since it appeared in 1997 (in USA). Here's my post from last year (lots of pics).

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...so-fast-70772/

I'm still driving depressingly few miles, what with the car stored at my folks' place in the suburbs (I won't risk the park-by-braille Manhattan garages), but hope to do 3000-4000 miles this year, vs 1100 miles last year. Might even hit the 20k mile mark this year.

Anyway, when I had the initial inspection and tweaks done, the dealer guesstimated the tires were good for about 3k miles, 1100 miles ago. My main complaint with the worn Pirellis is road noise. I'm considering doing new tires this month, before really really starting the summer driving season. I recognize the worn tire state might be contributing to the noise, beyond simple intrinsic brand issue. I'm guessing that tire tech has improved since 1996.

I enjoy some quick acceleration and occasional speed on safe straight runs, but I also recognize I'm unlikely to push the XKR to its limits, regarding handling. I don't use the car in winter.

For the next tire set, while I'd like good to excellent performance (but don't require best-of-best), I'd like also a quieter ride than the worn P-Zeros give. Of course even new P-Zeros might improve things. I'm really not too concerned with tread wear. So far nothing I've seen looks to be good for < 12k miles, which will be 3-4 years of usage for me, which is fine.

I peeked at what seems to be the best rated Performance tire at Tirerack, Michelin Supersportwhich gets good customer feedback on noise issues, but which only had so-so rating by Tirerack itself. And, while I don't object (obviously) the performance of that tire, I probably don't quite need it.

The Continental Extreme Contact DW in contest seemed to be considered a better ride by Tirerack (though a bit worse in customer survey). Here's four tires compared

Tire Test Results : Clash of the Titans: Testing Two New Max Performance Summer Heavy Hitters

I'm not sure I need anything quite in this category.

So, for a tire that performs decently or close to the original Pirellis, but is much quieter/smoother (though fresh P-Zeros alone might solve the noise thing), with no real concern for tread life, what would you recommend?

Here's customer feedback comparing numerous tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP

Thanks kindly,

David

Last edited by david i; 04-22-2013 at 07:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff in Tucson (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I have some Khumos that have been very good to me. They scored high on the tests and reviews, and were reasonably priced at Tire Rack.

I think the Continentals tend to be overpriced and do not do as well in most of the reviews I've read, but it's been a while. The Dunlops were even more expensive and a lot of people complained about noise not many miles after installing them.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

I plan to replace mine this summer. Looking at the Yokohama YK580 tires for my XK8. Performance tires, but suited for the type of driving you describe. Not that pricey and available at any Discount Tire store.

I have had good luck with Yokohama in the past on both my wife's Hondas and my Audis. The YK580 has been used and recommended by several forum members for the XK.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Just replaced the original (I think) Pirelli's with a set of Hankook Ventus V12. Ride quality is light years better than the Pirelli and handling seems fine. On the other hand I am a pretty gentle driver.

Doug

Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

The Kumho Ecsta Platinum LX have been great on my 2000 XKR.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:14 AM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Relevant to my interests- also looking for new meats, but probably later this year. Mine came with a mix of Falkens and Ventus V12s. Hoping to toss them and probably go with Continental DWSs later, though I have also had fantastic experience with two sets of Yokohama YK520 (I think) on my Audi. Used to be a dyed-in-the-wool P-Zero guy, but the treadwear is too much to bear.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

My wife has been pleased with the Yokohama YK580 tires I installed on her 2006 XK8 last year. I did quite a bit of tire research over several months before determining that the Yokohamas would provide the best bang-for-the-buck regarding the majority of factors that were important to me: treadwear longevity, quiet ride, all-season performance, strength of warranty, and cost. Available only at Discount Tire and America's Tire. Add them to your research list and see how they compare. Good luck with your search....

Old 04-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

This List may help:

Tire Search Results

I have had Excellent Results with the General Exclaim UHP Tires that I am currently running, These are no longer made but a new General Line (G-MAX AS-03) is in the list at a very reasonable price.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

All things considered, If I get the XK8 I'm looking at, it will immeadiately get a set of Continental DWS ALL SEASON , stagered 18's.

Weighing all the READING I've done, reviews, surveys and stuff....I believe they're a good value and best for me. I live in Chicagoland and have a bit of snow in the Fall and Spring. One day can be 75 and sunny, two days later can get a few inches of snow durring these seasons.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
This List may help:

Tire Search Results

I have had Excellent Results with the General Exclaim UHP Tires that I am currently running, These are no longer made but a new General Line (G-MAX AS-03) is in the list at a very reasonable price.
I just purchased these tires less than a month ago, and I'm very happy with them. I didn't really need "all season" tires, but they're available in the same size as original, are Z rated, have a 45K warranty and, as Paul mentioned, have a VERY reasonable price!

-John

Old 04-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

The General UHPs used to be made in larger and wider sizes for the 20" crowd, too, but they have been discontinued. The replacement tire is not available in as many styles as the predecessor. Those were incredibly affordable.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been very pleased with Michelin 19 in PS2's. If you look at some of the Discount tire direct stores on ebay you can get them fairly reasonable. I got 4 for 998.00 shipping inc. no tax as they where export from other states. they don't look as aggressive but they are more aggressive. kinda Sun Tzu

Old 04-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I'm on my 2nd set of hancook v12s, i'm very pleased with all its characteristics.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I have XK8 with 18" Hornets on Michelin Pilot Sport tires. I was driving on Pirelli's PZeros before, and to be honest I'd never go back. Comfort, grip and gas mileage are much better with Pilots .

Old 04-24-2013, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I have been using Summitomo HTR III's for years and like the combination of low price and high performance. The have long treadlife and very good grip. Noise is average.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:27 AM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

David,

I think many different tire brands will work for you. I am in the same boat as you, since my Michelins are 7 years old, with 20k miles. The previous owner did 14k miles in 6 years, and I did the other 6k in my first year of ownership.

But, I also believe that different size rims will play a role in how tires behave. I have 17 inch, and I think that Michelins on a 19 or 18 inch rim would be different than my 17 inch on the same car. I would get the opinions from drivers that have the same size of rim.

You would probably find there are maybe 10 different tires to choose from, but at the end of the day, and after all the comments, you are still the one that will have to pay for it, and live with it.

My recommendation is to go with one of the major known brands. Personally, I am leaning towards Continentals for my next set, but that is just my preference.

Let us know what you choose, and how you like them..

Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmots
I have been using Summitomo HTR III's for years and like the combination of low price and high performance. The have long treadlife and very good grip. Noise is average.
I have been looking at these as my next set. As I only drive the car about 1000 miles a year and most drives are the leisurely Sunday afternoon type, I don't see the point on going all out on tires that will probably dry rot before the treads come close to wearing out.

How important do you think road force balancing is on theses cars?

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2013, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Hunter Road Force Balancing was absolutely required to get my wife's new Yokohamas to track correctly. Prior to the Hunter machine, her car tracked strongly to the right (and no, it wasn't the road crown or the alignment). 245/40/19 on the front axle and 255/40/19 on the rear axle. The Hunter machine turned her car into a smooth-driving, straight-tracking grand tourer, just as it should be....

Her XK8's Discount Tire screen profile now reads "All tire balancing must be on the Hunter machine". That's good news....

Old 04-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a set of Bridgestone Turanzas (EL400) for my XK8. They handle well and are quiet, which I like. The car sits covered in a garage and it made no sense to buy Michelins or Pirelli's just to watch them waste away. BurgXK8 mentioned Khumos. I bought a set of those for another vehicle I have and have more than pleased with them.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:24 AM
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Agggh...

So, I decided to splurge and go for the Michelin Supersport. Turns out one of the two tire sizes is not made in the Supersport. Was hoping to do tires next week or two. Back to reviewing the above, or considering bit of step down in performance in exchange for N/V/H improvement. Or, maybe time to call Tire Rack and talk to a real live salesman (always risky...)

regards

david

Quick Reply: Suggestions please for new tires for XKR