Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger/intercooler removal Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Supercharger/intercooler removal Questions

Plan on swapping in my rebuilt blower and figured id run into a bunch of crap on the way.

What should I replace? Ive read a bunch on here but really want to make sure I don't miss anything. Being Ill order stuff in advance to make sure I'm absolutely prepared. As always thanks in advance:O)

Old 01-26-2016, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Could I ask you to keep a parts list or list it here, I'll be pulling mine next winter to replace hoses as my maint project, I'll be looking for many of the same parts. I know there was a guy who not long ago was doing this, he had some intake gasket issues you might find the thread and PM him.

Here's the link, looks like Seawind was the user

Last edited by jamdmyers; 01-26-2016 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Put the bonnet in the service position (or take it off entirely). If you take it off, mark the hinges so you know where to put it back to.

If you have the older style intercooler duct seals you could replace them with the newer version. There is a TSB about this where they can collapse and leak.

Throttle body and supercharger inlet gaskets might be useful. They should be reusable unless something happens.

The intercooler to injector manifold gaskets are good parts to have on hand. If you are careful with them, then they can most likely be reused but aren't too expensive as a just in case part.

The hoses under the supercharger are a must. And be forewarned, that the plastic connector has a tendency to break, so I'd get one of those too, they aren't too expensive.

Don't know if you plan on taking the injector manifolds off or not, but the connector hose that runs under the supercharger snout isn't rubber, it's a plastic tube with a rubber sheath on it so don't bend it too far lest you break the insides.

It is a good opportunity to get the injectors cleaned and tested, you're already 80% of the way there by the time you get the S/C out.

You have to mostly drain the cooling system, so is also an opportunity to upgrade / replace the intercooler water pump.

The mechanical water pump will be more accessible since the belts are off and the cooling system is drained.

Same for all the cooling hoses.

You will pour about half a quart of oil out of the intercoolers... this is normal but it convinced me to add a catch can. You can clean and paint / polish the intercoolers to taste.

There is no end to the things you could do "while you're in there". You know how this goes.

The following users liked this post:
XxSlowpokexX (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Charlie,

Actually had my IC's, top and custom inlet tube carbon fiber dipped. Clean and ready to go! I had gotten a new thermostat as well. Whats killing me is that I have an extra set of 4.2 injectors and a spare ABACO MAF that I would love to upgrade to but I just don't see myself finding the time to figure out the proper MAF transfer function. I have an entire 4.2 out for a low mile XKR for a rainy day:O) But for now just wanted to do these bits and the rebuilt blower. Blower was initially for my XJR but I bought an AVOS kit...So you know....Evil Kitty Gets it. Many thanks. Ill post part numbers as I figure them out

Old 01-26-2016, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Hmmm, .... the intercooler pump? I never though of that. And how much, pray tell, will one of those tid-bits cost?-lol

I may be pulling the S/C this year in an attempt to chase down a random P0171 code and overall slightly high fuel trims. In addition to everything you listed, Charlie, I was also going to find out the sizes for the injector O-Rings and replace them as well. Good idea about also having the injectors cleaned and tested while they're out.

The fun never ends, does it?

;-)

Old 01-26-2016, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Thanks for keeping us updated with your project Slowpoke.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

I had bought the SC pump already. Just make sure you get the plug with it.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by scardini1
In addition to everything you listed, Charlie, I was also going to find out the sizes for the injector O-Rings and replace them as well. Good idea about also having the injectors cleaned and tested while they're out.
I had a good experience with InjectorRX to clean mine. They do a flow test and send them back with new o-rings.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member

Currently waiting for my tb to come back from Maxbore.

I am curious what a difference this will all make. Basically cleaned IC's, bigger TB, late model SC with rebuilt and recoated rotor pack, 10% pulley, 3.5" intake, Bigger Maf..Already did the pump and exhaust work.

I do have the later model injectors but I'm afraid to install as I don't know when Ill be able to fine tune this car. (I've been told the computer can compensate but I have issues believing that!) I do have an innovate wide band, the SDD and an ABACO MAF...Its tempting as this is the time to do it..And they are just sitting on that motor I have.....ANYWAYS....Ill update as soon as I can!

Old 03-14-2016, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

Oh and I also have a snow meth kit I was thinking of installing but unsure of the best way to go about that with this setup.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts
Default Maxbore?

Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX
Currently waiting for my tb to come back from Maxbore.

I am curious what a difference this will all make. Basically cleaned IC's, bigger TB, late model SC with rebuilt and recoated rotor pack, 10% pulley, 3.5" intake, Bigger Maf..Already did the pump and exhaust work.
What gains are quoted for a bored out tb for a 2004 XJR?

I will be sending an Ebay purchased supercharger off to be rebuilt next week.
Part of the rebuild will be a 10% pulley. So am curious as to whether doing the the bored out tb would be worth it while I am doing all of this.

This all started when I decided to replace the valley hose.

Regards,
John

Old 03-19-2016, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote: "I seriously doubt much of a performance increase by just boring a TB - the inlet to the Inter coolers is only 250mm square larger than a standard TB. in reality, you are only gaining about the size the finger nail on your ring finger (15mm X15mm)". End quote.

Just saw this in another thread it does not say what model Jaguar.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jackra_1
Quote: "I seriously doubt much of a performance increase by just boring a TB - the inlet to the Inter coolers is only 250mm square larger than a standard TB. in reality, you are only gaining about the size the finger nail on your ring finger (15mm X15mm)". End quote.

Just saw this in another thread it does not say what model Jaguar.

Let me set the record straight about this. ANY restriction before the SC inlet will negatively effect performance. I have had much trial and error in this department regarding the older thunderbird v6's which are powered by a 3.8 liter v6 with an m90 eaton. The SC hat on the Tbird motor gets very narrow where it leads out. A common performance upgrade is what we call a raised top which gets rid of that restriction. Claims of up to 15 or so HP have been noted....But in reality.....Its been proven not a very effective way to gain any type of power. However. Upping the TB to an 85mm the MAF to a 90mm and the intake tube to a 3.5" along with a modified sc inlet has not only increased boost pressure (I noticed 3 psi on a stock motor) due to less restriction but the associated power. And that's on a measly 3.8 v6. Im actually disappointed I cant get a larger TB. But 83mm (I think is the max bore) is better than stock. That in combination with an air intake and larger MAF will help greatly. Anyway Im in the process of doing this stuff now. I have another post you can follow that Ill update along the way.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Oh and Im having this done for my 2001 xkr as well as my 2004 XJR which is getting the twin screw shortly

Old 03-20-2016, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

Ok removing restriction by enlarging the TB makes sense.

Where did you get your supercharger rebuilt? Also anything special done to it?

I am sending mine off to PSE tomorrow. Its actually one I bought on Ebay.

I will be replacing my supercharger in a few weeks as well as upgrading the pump. Replacing hoses at the same time. Also thinking about adding an intercooler radiator to the original.

Last edited by jackra_1; 03-21-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jackra_1
Ok removing restriction by enlarging the TB makes sense.

Where did you get your supercharger rebuilt? Also anything special done to it?

I am sending mine off to PSE tomorrow. Its actually one I bought on Ebay.

I will be replacing my supercharger in a few weeks as well as upgrading the pump. Replacing hoses at the same time. Also thinking about adding an intercooler radiator to the original.

I only had the rotor pack rebuilt and recoated by magnum powers. I did the snout an drear needle bearings in the case myself. I bought the upgraded bosch IC pump but have been told that the larger exchangers don't do much. Also the later model SC doesn't respond much to porting from what many sources in the industry have told me. So I am just dumping mu stock 2001 charger for the later model updated m112 . Ill update my other post when things start getting installed

The following users liked this post:
jackra_1 (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

I only had the rotor pack rebuilt and recoated by magnum powers. I did the snout an drear needle bearings in the case myself. I bought the upgraded bosch IC pump but have been told that the larger exchangers don't do much. Also the later model SC doesn't respond much to porting from what many sources in the industry have told me. So I am just dumping mu stock 2001 charger for the later model updated m112 . Ill update my other post when things start getting installed
Thanks for the info.

The owner of PSE called me yesterday and I had a long conversation with him about Eaton and Ford's investment in that supercharger as well as the design work he has done over the years. I learned a heck of a lot.

Also Eaton has a very informative slide show on their development of
the supercharger over the years.

Anyway the supercharger is on its way to PSE now and I have ordered all the parts I think I need to replace/upgrade when I replace supercharger.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

Now's the time to get that TB bored. Its relatively inexpensive for the later model cars. All you really need to do is match the opening in the inlet. is PSE recoating the rotors as well? Our gen V Eaton is about as good as it gets for us! (Besides AVOS twin screw upgrade). I did also use a solid coupler instead of a spring loaded one. Are you upgrading the pulley?

Old 03-22-2016, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

Now's the time to get that TB bored. Its relatively inexpensive for the later model cars. All you really need to do is match the opening in the inlet. is PSE recoating the rotors as well? Our gen V Eaton is about as good as it gets for us! (Besides AVOS twin screw upgrade). I did also use a solid coupler instead of a spring loaded one. Are you upgrading the pulley?
Have to wait and see what Ed Martinez at PSE decides is needed when he gets my supercharger. He probably will not get it until late Friday so I will have to wait until next week. I also want to change the gearing for the rotors. I am going to the UK in a couple of weeks so that will get in the way of any work I want to do.

I am getting the 10% pulley.

The supercharger PSE is getting is one I purchased on Ebay. So I will not gain access to the TB until I start work on replacement of the supercharger in a few weeks.

I also want to do a before and after dyno run somewhere. Still researching that.

I am replacing several hoses as well as upgrading the intercooler pump. I also want to add intercooler radiator capacity. So I keep the existing intercooler radiator and add about 30% additional capacity.

I still need to work out exactly how to fit this additional radiator which will be arriving soon.

Last edited by jackra_1; 03-22-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

hat rad replaces the one already there. Also I saw the gear ratio change for the charger. I believe Steigemiester would do that. A good way to keep more grip at the pulley while spinning faster..Likely expensive though

Quick Reply: Supercharger/intercooler removal Questions