XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The things people say about our cars...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I live in a small rural town which I think has only two jags, my '95 XJ6 and my neighbor's wife's '11 (I think) XF. My neighbor goes on and on about how he likes my "old school" jag better than his wife's XF. His wife is mum on the subject but I've seen her checking out my XJ6.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

"One guy said it was a Chrysler (I was a little insulted by that remark)..."

Mark,
Don't feel too badly. For several years I thought the Chrysler Sebring vert was a very attractive car. One day it dawned on me that it's because they pretty much duped some of the XK8 lines. The Sebring is still not bad looking but I understand they are not too reliable. UNLIKE OUR JAGS!

Old 07-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Wow! For the heck of it I just read a few reviews of the Sebring. Seems a lot of people hate it and its styling. Maybe the slight similarity only appeals to me; after all, the entire world agrees the XK8/XKR is one of the most beautiful cars on the road. Personally, I 'd say it's is THE most beautiful. But what do I know; I don't hate Sebrings!

Old 07-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default "Oh, look, honey... a Jag!"

I heard that a few times on my 3000 mile road trip that I recently finished a few days ago.

At gas stations teens came up to look at the hood area and they acted as though they had never seen such a thing... I guess that they hadn't!

This is the first car that I've had where I've begun to like it EVEN MORE after I've bought it. This thing is really growing on me.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:30 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I am a Dodge man , own two of them as our everyday vehicles and have owned chrysler products since I started buying vehicles. I find them to be super reliable and I put on many kms every year. My Calibre has 210,000kms on her and runs without a hitch.

That being said my 66 MGB does the same.

I have a love of british cars, always have. I find my 2000 XK8 to be simply beautiful. Just something about her that always catches my eye.

Would I take a Sebring over a JAG..........never LOl

Old 07-06-2012, 06:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I get comments frequently on "Faith" and we recently let our 17 year old buy a squeky clean 84 porsche 944. Cracks me up how people assume the value of our cars, we own a small printing business, we ARE NOT RICH, but when the boy is working both cars sit out front and always garner comments about we must be doing well or no wonder the prices are so high, I rarely explain that its a $8K jag and $3K porsche, let think what they will!

Old 09-06-2012, 05:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next door's plumber, getting into his van "What a shiny car!" "Yes, thanks to Fox Jaguar, Leeds, I don't polish it." "Oo do you think they'd do my van?" The XK8 does look good when it comes back from Barrack Road...

Old 09-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I owned/drove a Sebring before I bought my XKR. Hmmm, maybe that why? I don't think so because I wanted a prancing horse first.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

I do recall seeing a Sebring once out of the corner of my eye and momentarily thinking it might be a Jag before I looked over at it.

Sometime around when they first came out one of my friends who was a young attorney bought one. We were going to a BBQ and he picked up the other rider first, so I got the back seat. Now, it was not nearly as cramped as the Jag's back seat, but let me tell you, there is a LOT of wind at 95mph. He said he knew people in those parishes (counties in LA) and could get tickets fixed. I was beat to death after that 50 mile ride.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

In the short time I've been "in the club", I'd have to say that my two favorite responses have been:

1. The look on someone's face when I answer the question, "... and how much did it cost new?"

2. The gal that came into the doctor's waiting room exclaiming, "Who owns that Black Jag?!" ... And gave me her phone number later (I seem to remember some relevant comment about Jaguars in the movie "Silver Streak" )

LUV IT!!!

Old 09-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Took my XKR in with the top down to my local kwik-fit tyre shop. I was waiting and watching from the customer room...........

First time I had ever seen an entire shop floor cluster around a car to replace 2 tyres and certainly was surprised that they needed to raise the bonnet.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Default XKR vs. Beemer

My fiancee and I were driving in my '00 XKR with the top down when we came upon our friends in their (new to them) '03 BMW 330ci with its top down. It was the first time that we had been driving like that while on the way to meet for dinner. After kidding around and complimenting them on their new purchase I couldn't stand it anymore...

I dropped it into second and blasted away, leaving them quickly in the rear view mirror.

After we were out of our cars at the restaurant's parking lot, the wife of the other couple said to me and Kate (in a low voice so that her husband couldn't hear), "I'd rather have your Jag!"

They do have a wonderful Beemer, but it was nice to get the compliment. =)

After dinner, her husband said to me, "Hey, do a big burnout... that thing is crazy fast!"

Old 09-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Love the comments i get about the beauty of my baby... BUT driving my XK8 is what I truly love. It is like sipping a fine brandy. Warm and engulfing! NO other vehicle provides that magic! NO other vehicle puts a smile on my face every time I slide behind the wheel!

Old 09-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Love That Comment

Originally Posted by Jstephen
Love the comments i get about the beauty of my baby... BUT driving my XK8 is what I truly love. It is like sipping a fine brandy. Warm and engulfing! NO other vehicle provides that magic! NO other vehicle puts a smile on my face every time I slide behind the wheel!
That really captures the feeling. Nice one!

Old 09-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Agreed. It just feels DAMN good!

Old 09-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Default Chevy pick-up tonight

A dude in a truck started yelling at me at the light, saying, "Wow! That thing sounds awesome! Does it have a turbo? What kind of motor is in it? That thing is AWESOME!!!" I politely told him about the car, then took off at full throttle again. It made his day. =)

Old 09-11-2012, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 884 Likes on 472 Posts

What surprises everyone I talk to is that I paid less for both of my sports cars together then they paid for their everyday runaround and in some cases their second family car.

The prices for these cars is just crazy low.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in LA and was at a Kinkos where a lot of entertainment types are. One day I was heading back to my car and this English fellow commented that the new ones are great, referring to my 11 year old XK8! We then had a long conversation about Jaguars and how his father owned one of the first models and about entertainment in general which he said my car was what film guys drive. When I told him I'm a mechanical engineer he seemed a bit surprised, not sure why. I've had a few instances where people think I'm a film industry guy just because of my car, and being in LA!

Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm a woman and love the classic look of my jags , a xkr, and a vanden plas, 2000 and 2002. The new ones leave me cold. People have alot to say always , a's I live in a small town. They don't realize my ford pickup cost three times what my cars did!!!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

The new Jags are great looking except they have gotten away from the elegant look and gone to a more muscle look. Can't blame Jag, just going where the market is taking them.
Porsche went from the muscle look 1998 911 to a softer version 1999-2004 and have now started to go back to the flared fenders more muscled look because of market forces. It's what everyone is moving towards, bigger flares, larger more prominent tail pipes, etc.
The good news, as with everything, the market will turn around eventually as it always does. But for now, it's what we got!!

Quick Reply: The things people say about our cars...