Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tilt Steering Wheel Switch Adjustment Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tilt Steering Wheel Switch Adjustment Malfunction

Hi All--

I seldom adjust the steering column, but had a need to do so the other day and it's probably been 6 mos to a year since I last made an adjustment. No matter whether it was turned on and in park, turned off and the key in the I or II position, etc.... the wheel won't adjust.

What is odd though, is that if I put the steering column adjustment knob in auto and turn the car off, the wheel retracts and raises as expected. The memory buttons work as well to re-situate the steering column and seats. So it would appear to be a switch issue presumably(?). Seems odd though that when the switch is in auto it still works.

Reason for the need to adjust is that I need to replace some instrument panel lights and was looking at Rev Sam's video on how to do so.

Has anyone run into this issue before?

Hopefully this is a senior moment, but if not, would appreciate any feedback and input on how to correct.

Thanks....

P.S. On a totally unrelated issue...... About a month ago, it stopped "chirping" when I un/locked the vehicle. The marker lights go on, but no sound. Not a big deal, but odd.....

Last edited by grey2005xk8; 07-23-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Check this thread which leads you to some sub threads, perhaps it'll help, many people have issues with the tilt functions, poor design or implementation... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...broken-117546/

Old 07-24-2014, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default been there too

You probably don't realize but if you remove the cowl under the steering column you can see the motors for this alignment. Let me take this in steps: 1) How to get control over steering wheel position for your task, and for future convenience: You will be storing one position (all the way up all the way in) in memory 1. Store alternate position (all the way down, all the way out) in memory 2. How can you do this? Not so hard. First get access to the shaft that moves it up and down. Take off the cowl, 4 torx screws. You can not rotate the shaft yet, but see that big yellow (or white I forget) connector that is sending power to the motor? Disconnect it. Now the shaft will spin freely. Through a synchrony of turning the auto adjust button off, ignition off/on I was able to get my wheel in each of these two extended postions. Stored each in one of the memory buttons. (side note: let's face it, you can adjust the seat position/height & mirrors way too easily without memory to worry about forgoeing that). For those without memory let me explain one thing - The wheel moves to the "memorized" position while you hold in the button. If you like it somewhere in between, just let your finger off the button.

Don't forget to reconnect the power supply. When you took the cowl off, you will likely disconnect the plug to the environment sensor that the AC/Heater uses (that item by your right knee). Since you will be cycling on/off with this disconnected for a moment you will get a surprise when you put it all back together and start the car, not to worry. Something will start beeping for a couple of seconds and the Temp guage may display an error message. That is just becaused of the aforementiond connection being cycled. It goes away before your next start the engine the next time.

2) How can the memory work, the auto position work, but the button on the steering wheel not work? I am in the same boat. Each postition of the manual switch sends 12 volts through a resistor of a specific value to the Body module. I tested the switch by digging up resistors of this exact value and completely bypassing the switch - no joy. Double checked with an ohm meter the switch works fine, still no movement via the switch. I would love to get my hands on that body module and check the connection from this switch to it. I wonder if it is simple corrosion. The circuit from the body module to the switch is the only piece not shared by the memory circuit or the auto position circuit, both of which work fine. Yesterday someone posted that the body module is 2x4x6 inches blue plastic box by glove compartment in a 1998 xk8. Wow not much room there, any other thoughts, directions on that would help thanks. John