XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement Question

Old 11-21-2010, 04:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement Question

Hi, I have a 1997 xk8 with 130,000 mi. at idle i am hearing from the left valve cover timing chain noise, after reading the posts here i see there are 2 generation tensioners, what are the ramifications of not changing them out right away? Also has anyone here done the job? how bad is it, front of the engine teardown including radiator and condenser removal? Any info or pointing me in the right direction would be great help.. Thanks Chris

Old 11-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Please see ...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...94&postcount=6

Just posted this a moment ago in another thread.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:31 PM

Thanks, Dennis Yes i am very familiar, and that was best repair procedure i ever seen, and i see them daily, thanks again. So if i search eBay i need to get 3rd generation tensioners, or did you search out the Ford part #s instead of Jaguar? if so what year and model ford V-8 would i use to get the parts for?

Old 11-21-2010, 09:27 PM

Thanks, I found the 3rd generation on eBay for $83.00 Each without the bolts..

Old 11-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,980 Likes on 2,123 Posts

You should read this ENTIRE thread...lots af good info on alternative methods of changing the tensioner and also the ford part nuimbers:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ford+tensioner

The following users liked this post:
chrisant (11-23-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 03:35 AM
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Would you mind sharing whose Supercharger Pulley you intend to use, and how do you like your exhaust? Good sound? Any performance improvement?

Old 11-22-2010, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by edtexas
Would you mind sharing whose Supercharger Pulley you intend to use, and how do you like your exhaust? Good sound? Any performance improvement?
I am using the pulley from Phoenix Coachworks:
http://www.phoenix-coachworks.co.uk/superchargers.html. Uusally it is available on ebay, but I do not see an auction for it at the moment. You can contact them directly. It is in the $200 neighborhood. I am using the puller/installer that Eurotoys sells, rather than the 'cut and heat' method described on the Phoenix site.

Here is my Mina exhaust review:
Overall I am quite happy with the product. Fit and finish is very good, and the sound really makes these cars sound a lot sportier, without being obnoxiously loud. It adds a lot to the experience of driving these cars for me. I also like the look of the large pollished ovals.

I got a small mileage boost (1/2 -1 mpg) and the car feeling a bit peppier, but nothing dramatic. If you look under the car, the original exhaust is haevily constricted through multiple bands and compressed areas, and these completely resolve that issue and removed two of the five silencers.

The only very minor issues is that somewhat light duty hose clamps are provided for attachment to the stock exhausts, whereas the other muffler clamps provided are very heavy duty. (they are all staniless, BTW). Just do not overtorque these...I had no actual problem and they seem to get the job done. The other issue is that Mina recommends the pipes be mounted tight up against the 'X" reinforcements in the rear (for maximum clearance). It seems kind of unusual that the pipe actually contacts the chassis in this way, and I have heard reports of vibration if these are not mounted tight to the chassis. Again, I had no actual vibration problem, and they can be tightened up against the chassis by bending the hangers slightly if necessary or by insulating the 'X' reinforcement in the contact area with a short length of 3/4" heater hose. Also no instructions are provided, so talk to Chris at Mina if you need to, or I can help you too.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
edtexas (11-23-2010), SeismicGuy (11-22-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Here is my Mina exhaust review:
I got a small mileage boost (1/2 -1 mpg) and the car feeling a bit peppier, but nothing dramatic.

I wonder if the mileage boost is real or possibly something else. The "something else" could be that since you now hear the exhaust more prominently, you are subconsciously going easier on the foot to keep the noise down? Just a theory but I am just recalling how I modified my driving style when I would do some mod that ended up creating more intake/engine/exhaust noise.

Doug

Old 11-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

Doug- You are right, my comments on mileage and power should be taken as anecdotal. I have not made any attempt to control the many, many variables. Others have claimed greater gains, some have claimed none.

YMMV

Old 11-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we have a 99 XK8 and am told that the earlier 4litre engines had tensioners with plastic parts. Once the rattling starts it means that you need to replace ASAP. Apparently if the problem gets worse the timing could slip so severely that you will blow the engine. I am told that it is a very tricky repair with the need for special tools and the experience to get the parts perfectly aligned, not for a first timer. The cost for this is $3,500 as per the quote I had.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

WOW!

Didn't mean to scare you THAT much!

If you suspect a chain rattle the car should not be started again until you can verify the situation. Removing the valve covers will determine if you have the white, now red from age, heat and oil, plastic tensioners.

If you do have plastic, you should replace the tensioners immediately. Driving it to a repair facility is a gamble. The penalty is a $10k engine.

Replacing them DIY is a $200 job, $800 at an indy, $1200 at a Jaguar dealer.

While experience at auto repair, I had never done this job. Finished, with engine detail en route, in 4 hours with very minimal tools. You do have to rent a cam lock down tool but that is inexpensive.

See the pictorial in the following link to understand better what is required and whether you want to try it yourself.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mijhydngtog

chrisant (11-26-2010)
Old 11-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisant
Hi, I have a 1997 xk8 with 130,000 mi. at idle i am hearing from the left valve cover timing chain noise, after reading the posts here i see there are 2 generation tensioners, what are the ramifications of not changing them out right away? Also has anyone here done the job? how bad is it, front of the engine teardown including radiator and condenser removal? Any info or pointing me in the right direction would be great help.. Thanks Chris
Cris, If your hearing noise as you have stated , dont start the car till its been looked at by a mechanic. There is a really great book you should read. Its called Jaguar xk8 a modern sporting icon, by Jaguar World magazine. In that paperback book is a complete description of the timing chain tensioner change. You can get the book at Barns and Noble for about 18 bucks. I found it in the magazine section. Good luck, Mag

Old 11-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Default What about Primary tensioner wear?

What about Primary tensioner wear? I see little mention, as i am about to replace the secondary tensioner tomorrow afternoon, Has anyone checked to see the wear on the primary s? Or is it that just the secondary tensioners we have to worry about? when i pull the cam cover tomorrow, i am going to send my boroscope camera down there to at least get a look at the at the chain guides, I have 130,000 mi. i expect some were, i will report back. If this was a customers car i would recommend a complete job given the problems, When i have to work on my own car, i guess brain dead in a sense, Any feed back on this would be great Chris

Old 11-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Lots of folks have found cracked tensioners and guides but I cannot remember a failure due to them. The secondary shoes and tensioners seem to fail more, in my opinion, due to the higher heat of heads.

chrisant (11-24-2010)
Old 11-24-2010, 08:35 PM

Tom, Thanks, that was what i wanted to hear, i will do the secondary tensioners tomorrow, and get a look with borascope camera for the hell of it! I would like to see what 130,000 mile shoes look like, i will post photos, thanks again Chris..

Old 11-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Chris,
I did the secondaries on my '97 with 120.k miles last year. If you just take your time its not a terrible job. I was VERY cautious and it took me 6 hours total. Didn't seem that long though. My tentioners both came out missing the plastic feet and with cracks in the bodies. A job worth doing.
Mark

chrisant (11-25-2010)
Old 11-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

Check out this thread on the s-type forum if you have not seen it yet....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=45579

garynbev (11-25-2010)
Old 11-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what's the general consensus on replacing upper and lower tensioners versus just replacing upper tensioners?

Old 11-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Default Primary tensioners are not as lethal, but should..

I think the general consensus is that Primary tensioners are not as lethal, but bottom line is, when you have a high mileage engine, and given they are known troublesome, everything under the cover, chains, shoes, primary s, and secondary s should be done, On my car i am just replacing the primary s for know, so i can put the car on the road before bad weather comes in.... Chris

Old 11-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Default Pics of the broken primary tensioners

I replace the secondary tensioners, and i took a look with the borascope camera, this is what i found, the right bank primary tensioner shoe is laying at the bottom of the timing cover, half of it is laying across the primary chain, and all the shoes are cracked, both banks, pisser, now i got to tear it down, i was hoping i could wait.

Attached Thumbnails Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement Question-pic_0085.jpg   Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement Question-pic_0080.jpg   Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement Question-pic_0087.jpg  
garynbev (11-25-2010)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement Question