Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque converter???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts
Default Torque converter???

This is a 2000 xk8 that I got with a failed tensioner and a bad A drum. Repairs are done and passed CA smog inspecction today.

Now the issue. When I put it in drive, more so when engine is cold, I get a hesitation of a couple of seconds before it goes into drive. It also does it in reverse but only slightly. Once in gear it shifts prefectly through the gears. I also notice what feels lile a load on the motor if I stop quickly.

Today I had it up on the rack to see if the oil level was good. Removed plug and oil dribbled out, level is good. While underneath the car I heard a slight metal hitting metal noise. I had the access covers at the bellhousing and the sump near the CPS. The sound appears to be coming from the torque converter.

Is it possible something is failing inside of the Torque converter causing a reduction in oil pressure at idle causing the delay.

This is what I'm pointing to and asking others of their knoweledge and experience.

Thanks, Bob

Old 03-22-2017, 01:33 PM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts

Limited knowledge here, but the torque converter is not the'pump' for the transmission. The torque converter body directly drives the pump within the transmission. Therefore, you would always have pressure as long as the engine is running regardless of whether the transmission is in gear or not. Delayed engagement can definitely be a pressure problem, but it's most likely related to an internal issue such as a servo leak, failed valve body gasket or internals such as springs, or even a misadjusted band. Take it to a shop and ask for a DIAGNOSTIC. To many horror stories of asking them 'what's wrong" and returning to find your tranny in a box. haha

The following users liked this post:
BobRoy (03-22-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

We have something in common, limited knowledge. I have read that the torque converter has an effect on oil pressure in the transmission. Read post #5, this member had the same problem I have and it was his torque converter.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...g-stop-177394/

Luckily with my parts cars I have spare torque converters and transmission. I think what I will try is the torque converter first to see if that solves the problem. If it still persist I will then change the complete transmission. The reason I'm leaning towards the torque converter is the noise I heard coming from it.
It will proably be a few weeks before I get a chance to work on my cars, I need to remodel my rental after I got the tenants out.