XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRAC not available, ASC not available, ABS indicator always On

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 03:18 PM
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Just Fixed my ABS problem

Yep, had the ABS, TRAC and ASC error. I checked the connections, fuses and sensors, all good. Pulled the module, sent it to Module Repair Pros and put it in. Problem solved. One issue I did have was I had to disconnect the battery and let the car sit over night and clear out the clutter.

2000 XK8

Good Luck

Old 05-14-2017, 08:23 AM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default abs module

Did you unplug the wire harness from the module? Since you indicated that after de-greasing it it worked for a while, I would disconnect the the plugs clean contacts with an electric contact cleaner and reassemble. Certainly would be worth a try. The main connector has a lock that you pull up on to release the plug.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:31 AM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Dumb question here... But can you still drive the car without the module? It's my daily

Old 05-14-2017, 08:38 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by David Dougherty
Yep, had the ABS, TRAC and ASC error. I checked the connections, fuses and sensors, all good. Pulled the module, sent it to Module Repair Pros and put it in. Problem solved. One issue I did have was I had to disconnect the battery and let the car sit over night and clear out the clutter.

2000 XK8

Good Luck
What was your cost to have that module repaired by module repair pros?

Old 05-14-2017, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by lossking_
Dumb question here... But can you still drive the car without the module? It's my daily
I suspect you could but I would not with the ABS disconnected.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by dennysjag
Did you unplug the wire harness from the module? Since you indicated that after de-greasing it it worked for a while, I would disconnect the the plugs clean contacts with an electric contact cleaner and reassemble. Certainly would be worth a try. The main connector has a lock that you pull up on to release the plug.
Most likely the problem is not the connector being dirty its the fact the contacts in the module have vibrated to the point that they need to be re-soldered. Problem will probably persist until that is done, either by you or by having it done.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JagXK82001
I suspect you could but I would not with the ABS disconnected.
Would it just turn off abs at the most or possibly mess with other issues ?

Old 05-14-2017, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by lossking_
Would it just turn off abs at the most or possibly mess with other issues ?
I believe you lose traction control, ABS and something else. The dash readout gives you the failures.

The other is ASC, whatever that is. Maybe Auto Stability Control....????

Last edited by JagXK82001; 05-14-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:06 AM
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by JagXK82001
What was your cost to have that module repaired by module repair pros?
I did it through eBay for $45 and $10 shipping. I did not do it myself because I didn't have a proper tool to "split" the module and I wanted a through test of the module. The main cause seems to be failed solder but i wanted to know if the module itself was bad.

As far as driving the car, I started mine with the module out and you sure get a lot of error codes!!! I had opened the system to remove the module so I had air in the system and didn't feel safe driving it.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default O k.then

With a small hole saw and a 15 buck soldering iron you can do this job in an afternoon. There are guides in the forum regarding removal of the module without disconnecting the brake lines.
good luck

Old 05-16-2017, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by dennysjag
With a small hole saw and a 15 buck soldering iron you can do this job in an afternoon. There are guides in the forum regarding removal of the module without disconnecting the brake lines.
good luck
Yep, we used a dremel with a thin cutting blade, works well. but you have to have the confidence and desire to stick to it until its done. I can take a few hours.

Like replacing those pesky cam chain tensioners. A long and tedious job but most could do it if they have some mechanical skill and the time to do it right.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:18 AM
Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts

You're a pleasure. Thank you for posting the link to the jag-lovers page. The page clearly provides a photo essay and short narrative to accomplish EXACTLY what I needed. Thanks again!

Old 05-30-2017, 10:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same TRAC not available, ASC not available, and ABS indicator always On. I have 2000 XK8.

I confirmed the battery was good, put on the OBD tool, did the battery test and removed and cleaned the sensors. When that didn't work I checked out this video and found this DIY.

I was wasn't comfortable dremeling the ABS module case open, or drilling it and reflowing the soder, below is a video link. My take away was it helped me figure out how to remove the module.

Ultimately what I did was send the ABS module to BBM Remanufacturing - $85. i found this service on EBay The $85 included the shipping, and it was done in a week. That fixed it. I don't know how they opened the module to fix it, but it looked exactly like it was when I sent it to them. The module was NOT sawed or drilled to open the case.

Jaguar ATE Teves ABS Module LNC2210BD Repair Service | eBay

This is a video that's good at showing how to removing the ABS module, and doing a DIY repair of drilling an access hole to the area of the problem and reflowing the soder:

Stephan

Old 08-25-2018, 10:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Gelair needs help

My saga continues with my 2001 XK8 Coupe.
Here is where I am and I need some help
ABS indicator on ,Trac not available ASC not available occurred 4 weeks ago.
I have cleaned all sensors,
Checked sensor wiring resistances all show 1.06Kohms
Removed control module but was forced to release 3 off brake lines
Removed cover carefully after studying numerous videos and advice in this forum
Resoldered Joints
Replaced module but ABS warning light etc still remain on.
Bought a second hand module and pump from USA ( I am in Australia)
Removed module , cleaned all probe receptacles as some appeared to have corrosion on them.
Installed 2nd hand module.
ABS warning, Trac not available and ASC not available still appear but now have Incorrect Part Fitted and Low Brake Fluid warnings as well.
Brakes are not spongy and reservoir is full.
What do I do now!!

Old 08-26-2018, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Gelair,

A few of us, myself included, got this error when we had rear wheel bearings in need of replacement.

I forget, when does your error occur? Only while moving? Does it always reset with ignition cycle on.off on?

let me think, it's late. One of those messages will only reset after driving a short distance at a minimum speed like 20mph. Think that one is ABS error.

Re: Trac and ASC
Does it ever occur right after starting without driving? If so, that would eliminate the bearing. It's only going to cause an error when that wheel's wobbling ABS speed sensor goes out of wack with the other normally operating wheels.

If not, do you notice it always seems to happen on the same turn on some road? This is what happened with my bearing induced errors.

as I recall super OBDII units, like the dealer's, can tell which wheel is causing the message(s).

some ideas to start with, we'll help you through it.
John

Old 08-27-2018, 12:23 AM

John
The error occurs all the time either stationary or moving, and never resets itself.
I think it is not related to a movement issue.
I have just been advised that the Incorrect Part Fitted error is because the new unit needs to be tied to the car's chassis number, how can this be achieved? I refitted my old module and the Incorrect Part Fitted and Low Brake fluid errors have gone away but others remain.
George

Old 08-27-2018, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by gelair
Incorrect Part Fitted error
If you are positive the module works, "incorrect part fitted" is because the part failed ECU validation. The ECU implements some form of basic sanity check for CAN modules so when you fit a totally foreign CAN part, it can detect it. It is usually referred to as VCATS. It serves as a version number of sorts. My understanding is that the ECU can recognize all parts with supported VCATS or below. The list of currently supported VCATS are listed on a sticker in your spare tire well. If you think about it, it makes sense. At the time the code was flashed into the ECU, a number of ABS module versions were available and supported (known good). The ECU would not know (or vouch for) any future version. So it looks like your replacement module is versioned outside of the range the ECU can vouch for. The normal practice is to reach out to someone (dealer, etc.) with the IDS/SDD "factory" software and make this work. This is one reason folks tend to have their own modules rebuilt whenever possible, so the VCATS does not change.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
gelair (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:06 PM

Thanks fmertz for info. which was correct. Found a fellow club member with the latest IDS factory software and when he allowed the ECU to accept the "new" ABS Module then all warning lights disappeared. One relieved XK8 driver .
Cheers

The following 2 users liked this post by gelair:
michaelh (09-18-2018), toaster (09-24-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 09:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How wide spread is this problem with the ABS control module?

I was lucky to find my 2000 XKR purchased and brought it home yesterday. I've driven it about 4 hrs total. After a short test drive, we started out and noticed the ABS light and warning traction control not available. I've watched the video for the bad solder joint repair and it looks straightforward. I'm not even sure this is the issue but from reading here I'm willing to give it a try. What I'm looking for some advice.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:35 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I would start with the easiest solution first, a weak battery. If that is not it then I would clean the connectors at the ABS module.

Good luck.