XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Traction Control

I had noticed this before but never really thought much of it, now I'm curious.

I can't turn the traction control off. I assumed the light was just burnt out, so I tried pressing it, going for a spin and no luck. Repeated the steps in case I had turned it one, same result. Tried holding it in to trigger the light or the system, same result. Tried pressing multiple times, same result.

I like to find an open parking lot every couple of weeks to do some things with the car to make sure nothing will bite me on the road... accelerations, hard braking, swerves... I listen for weird noises, feel for weird movements and vibrations and all that fun stuff.

I floored it from stop, I got a brief spin and then it powered down until everything caught up. Did all the button pressing with the same results. I did some hard braking, no skid, no slide. Did the swerves, didn't lose my backend. So it obviously works. How do I make it not work?

Old 03-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Fedoraja1
I had noticed this before but never really thought much of it, now I'm curious.

I can't turn the traction control off. I assumed the light was just burnt out, so I tried pressing it, going for a spin and no luck. Repeated the steps in case I had turned it one, same result. Tried holding it in to trigger the light or the system, same result. Tried pressing multiple times, same result.

I like to find an open parking lot every couple of weeks to do some things with the car to make sure nothing will bite me on the road... accelerations, hard braking, swerves... I listen for weird noises, feel for weird movements and vibrations and all that fun stuff.

I floored it from stop, I got a brief spin and then it powered down until everything caught up. Did all the button pressing with the same results. I did some hard braking, no skid, no slide. Did the swerves, didn't lose my backend. So it obviously works. How do I make it not work?

To be certain, you will need to remove the center console to get to the switch pack to test it. If you ground pin 12, the red wire of the switch pack connector momentarily, and the light comes on, you have found your culprit.

If you want to take a small gamble that might pay off with little effort, get a can to contact cleaner at radioshack. Using the straw, spray the perimeter of the switch generously. Cycle the switch a few times and see if that fixes it.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm having the same problem. Fedoraj1, did you end up finding the culprit? In my forum search I saw someone else with the same problem, but no replies.

The button doesn't seem to push in and out like the rest of them do on that center row and therefore won't turn the traction control off. I'm wondering if I can get to the button itself if I remove that center row of buttons - does anyone know? It feels like the button has lost its spring, or is wedged too tight - its not the snappy little tactile push that the others have. It feels like if I could get the actual button front off then I may be able to get it to work again and I'll try contact cleaner as mentioned.

I only have a little time to burn off my tires until I get new ones and I want to make the most of it

Last edited by jnporcello; 05-26-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:58 AM

Its definitely a button issue. The last few days the button has felt normal when pushed in and works fine. It feels like a clearance/tolerance issue or something like that. It has been warmer the last few days that it has been working fine. But eventually I'll have to get in there and clean it, or shave off whatever is too tight to have it available all the time.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did post a while back with the same issue. But no response. It appears that the button is sticky and that it does not move in and out as freely as the other buttons. I did remove the button itself. It can come off very easily and put back on. Just pull straight out with a blade or knife. It is actully hollow underneath. I did not resolve the issue so I have a little blade that I keep in the car to pry it back out of it gets stuck. I will try the can of contact cleaner though.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 AM

Thanks for letting me know that the button at least comes off and how to do it. I'll keep you posted if I come up with anything.