XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction control

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 06:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Traction control

Can you disable the traction control? My button only works 1 out of 10 times, so I would like to unplug, pull the fuse, or any other way I can disable it. Any help will be greatly appreciated! As usual thanks in advance.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I'll tell you what, I'll trade you, no matter what repair I do, from cleaning the sensors to replacing the abs module to extending the wire contacts to every other part of this system, my traction control never stays working more than 2 weeks at a time, and that flashing warning has burned a hole in my head.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I had this problem with a sticking button. I pulled the consloe out to find the radio and entire frame work that holds all the modules together was in pieces. Thus when the button was pushed it got hung up. Once out I welded the frame back together. I used an ice pick and a torch. Heat the ice pick and use the hot pick to weld the plastic ABS bits back together. Its good if you have an old plastic model available for extra ABS material to reinforce the frame connections I also opened up the Traction Control module on the head unit and re soldiered and retipped the circuit board to make sure I had good connections. Then reassembled and have not had any problems since. (three weeks) maybe I was lucky. Mine was sticking from gunk and the fact that the frame had deteriorated to the point that the button was pinched and would not function correctly.

Pulling the console out was not hard. the trick was getting the bezel off from around the shifter. The release tabs are between the shifter and the bezel. Not the bezel and the wood. The release tabs are located on the back corners away from the radio. I used a piece of plastic and slipped it between to release the bezel. The plastic used was from those nasty blister packs you cannot get into. But thin enough to slip in there and release the tabs. The console s hidden bolts are under the small pad by the rear seat. Just pull it straight up. it will reveal to you the hidden bolts.

This is if you are interested in investigating further rather than just pulling a fuse and thinking " thats fixed"! Mine is a 99 XK coupe.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyo007

Pulling the console out was not hard. the trick was getting the bezel off from around the shifter. The release tabs are between the shifter and the bezel. Not the bezel and the wood. The release tabs are located on the back corners away from the radio. I used a piece of plastic and slipped it between to release the bezel. The plastic used was from those nasty blister packs you cannot get into. But thin enough to slip in there and release the tabs. The console s hidden bolts are under the small pad by the rear seat. Just pull it straight up. it will reveal to you the hidden bolts.
I just uploaded a video which shows the whole process. Here's a link to the thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...47/#post399610

The following users liked this post:
daddyo007 (09-02-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Just curious, Sam what shape was your radio console mount in?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

My radio console mount? Are you talking about the plastic thing with six screws that holds the radio, climate control system, and the row of buttons? If that's what you're talking about, then it was in perfect shape. Why do you ask?