XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Transmission DipStick for XJ8 and XK8 is Available

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 03:01 AM
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I got my ports mixed up...I stand corrected.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Beav
BTW, I'd be hard pressed to pay $175 for what amounts to less than $15 in parts, but that's just me...
It's not just you... I feel the same way. Until maybe when I'm on my back under the car with the engine running and the rear wheels turning [edit: see below]; with both arms are covered in slimy ATF up to my elbows; probably burning my wrist on the hot exhaust pipe for the third time, feeling around the garage floor for the fill plug. Then, maybe I'd pay $50. Do that three (3) times and it has paid for itself.

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 06-15-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

Why would the wheels be turning? Does it specify to check in neutral or park?

Could always do it like Gears said, through the cooler line. Actually, transmission flush machines do it that way. One could always use an old gallon jug, direct the lower cooler line into it to collect and measure the old fluid, and pour new into the top line (while engine is idling, of course.) This way all of the fluid is exchanged rather than just the few quarts from the pan - plan the number of quarts used accordingly.Of course you will still have to check the level but you'll only have to do it once rather than a bunch of times. And you'll need someone to start and stop the engine - a popular style of flush machine uses a large cylinder with a floating piston in the center. New fluid is poured into one end and as the transmission pumps fluid into the empty side the clean fluid is pushed into the return line.

Last edited by Beav; 06-14-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Why would the wheels be turning? Does it specify to check in neutral or park?
Procedure is to run through the all the drive gears and neutral. My car is on jackstands when I am doing this, so the wheels turn if the parking brake is not engaged. I checked the level while in Park.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:46 AM

That's kinda dangerous. I mean, you can do what you want, but there's no reason for the wheels to turn. All that is necessary is for the valve body, convertor and clutches to be full of oil before checking the level.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Default Wheels turning

Agreed, it is an unsafe practice. Fortunately I was not under the car at the time, but inside the cabin shifting through the gears when I realized the rear wheels were turning. Once the e-brake was engaged, they stopped.

Thank you for pointing out the fact that one can shift through the gears when refilling with ATF without the rear wheels turning; especially if one is under the vehicle. gordo

Old 06-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bet Jag Technicians have a much higher suicide rate than most mechanics for all the things they have to do that would be simple on most other cars.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank You for the discussion notes above. Since the introduction of the Classic Dip Stick for the ZF 5HP24 Transmission in several models of High End Euro cars, several have been installed with positive feedback. I have the first unit on my 2001 740i and have change the fluid 3 times, and as a result the fluid stays clean and the transmisison shifts as it was origionally designed to shift. The key here is that the Classic Dip Stick provides accessability to the transmission fluid. It is now easy to dump and fill. It is easy now easy to check for burnt smell and discoloration. I tis now easy to spot check the level without a lift, a pump and a drum of fluid to waste. To date, I have read every DIY article on " how to fill a 5HP24 " and at best those efforts get the the levet within 1/2 liter. The Classic Dip Stick improves on the 1/2 liter and provides the benefits above. Please feel free to e mail me at

tem@meurosport.com with additional questions.

Regards,

Tom

The following users liked this post:
wrd0225 (08-05-2019)
Old 07-03-2011, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jochem00
@mish_mish
That's only valid for the XKR owners! the XKR owner are lucky to have the Mercedes transmission. The XK8 transmission is different
I have a 97 XK8. Is this correct that the kit won't work with my car. What transmission do I have. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I just looked at his page and it specifically states it installs in the 'fill port'.

BTW, I'd be hard pressed to pay $175 for what amounts to less than $15 in parts, but that's just me...

Yeah, way past my price point too.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Porkenstein,

Yes, you do have the 5HP24 transmission. And yes this kit does fir your car. Please visit Home Page and select dipstick for more details.

Regards

Old 07-08-2011, 01:23 PM

I have looked at the kit and instructions for another type car. I don't see how it gives you an accurate reading. the stick goes down the tube but the tube is parallel to the transmission, not vertical so that it would go in the pan. Seems like the level is going to be the same if its up to the vertical stick. Hope that makes sense. Can anyone explain.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

IF the dipstick end is inserted into a tube which is on a plane of the fill port; and the tube is on same level as the fluid in the trans pan/case; then any ATF found on the dipstick end would indicate the ATF is not too low. That in itself, however, would not indicate if the ATF level was too high, or by how much.

Is the flexible cable/shaft of the dipstick graduated to account for this situation? Meaning, somewhere along the tube as it turns to the vertical, additional fluid would begin to rise into the tube. Is the dipstick shaft graduated, or marked to identify this circumstance?

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 07-08-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:13 AM

The only way for this to work was if the tube was inserted into the side of the pan, below the required level. This isn't exactly rocket science, folks.

When I used to work on Fords and Isuzus with sealed transmissions I made a small pressure bottle with pieces from the hardware store and Harbor Freight. The same could be made with a cheap garden sprayer (and no need for compressed air) - after you've made sure it's clean, dump fluid into the jug, pump it up, insert the hose into the trans' hole and let 'er rip. Once the job is done how many times do you need to check it anyway? If it isn't leaving stains in the driveway where would it be going? Apparently ZF isn't/wasn't too concerned...

Old 07-21-2011, 06:01 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I got my kit yesterday for a 97 XK8. Good quality, great value and even includes a huge allen key for installation. Will do the job as soon as temperature cools off a bit.

Here's the link to my facebook page for a few pics.

XK8 AT dipstick, 18 juillet 2011 | Facebook

Old 07-21-2011, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I wish they had one for the 6HP26 transmission.
He says you can volunteer to be a prototype, Sam. You like taking chances, don't you?

Old 07-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cat888
I got my kit yesterday for a 97 XK8. Good quality, great value and even includes a huge allen key for installation. Will do the job as soon as temperature cools off a bit.

Post your comments here after installation!!!

Old 07-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by cat888

Just one question. Since the level of fluid is very sensitive to temperature, how are you going to adjust for that?

EZDriver

Old 07-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I am thinking of getting one of the dip sticks. I was also wondering how it works. I ASSUME that since, without the dipstick you fill the trans until it reaches a temp of
40°C and let it run out of the fill hole, then when it reaches a normal operating temp. it would expand and it would be possible to read it on the dipstick. In the BMW install instructions it does mention to read the level at 100°C. I plan on calling Euro Sport just to make sure. Sounds like a great idea if it works. I agree that the price seems high, but if the quality is good and the install is good, it might be worth it.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Barickman
In the BMW install instructions it does mention to read the level at 100°C.
Are you sure it isn't 100F?

Quick Reply: The Transmission DipStick for XJ8 and XK8 is Available