Sponsored by:

Trip Buttons Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts
Default Trip Buttons Removal

Could anyone advise please ??

I want to remove the instrument panel to check connections and solder joints with the ongoing CAN issue I have BUT I have fallen at the first hurdle !!
I can't unplug the circular "trip switch pack" connector to enable removal of the veneer panel.
There seem to be lots of wires, some of which seem to be from the inside of the switch itself. Does the whole of the "base" of the unit unplug, or is it just a small connector.
I have looked at the video link from Steve's (Jagwrangler) site, and I have looked at the two guides on Gus' site, but they all rather "gloss over" this little connector as if it's just a small pull. Well, I have tried everything I know but I can't get it to come away.
As always - all advice gratefully received.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

David, do either of these help:

Connector looks like a normal push fit, but I imagine there's a clip somewhere to stop it coming adrift. The switch appears to come out from the front if the two plastic tangs are pressed towards the middle. This might give you a little more juggling room as I'm guessing the loom isn't giving you enough slack to see behind?

HTH,
Mike

Old 02-05-2017, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member

Mike.
Many thanks. Yes - looks like a fairly standard plastic plug with a retaining clip would fit into that socket. Maybe I just need to be a bit more aggressive with it.
Very short loom, so not enough to pull the switch-pack forward out of the panel to get better access.
Will have another crack at it this morning.
Thanks again.
David.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member

Resolved !!

Thanks to Mike's photographs, I was confident that it was a standard connector. With quite a bit of force, managed to get it out. Probably not the original Jaguar fitter, more likely during a more recent removal to replace a bulb, some gorilla-mechanic had trapped a couple of the wires inside the connector as he had pushed it back together. Probably Friday afternoon and rushing to get jobs done before the weekend.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
...some gorilla-mechanic had trapped a couple of the wires inside the connector as he had pushed it back together. Probably Friday afternoon and rushing to get jobs done before the weekend.
Glad you got there.
I do despair sometimes - perhaps we are all rocket scientists?

Mike

The following users liked this post:
DevonDavid (02-05-2017)