XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk STILL won't open...

Old 05-31-2012, 03:15 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Trunk STILL won't open... (now open!)

OK, I've been having a blast with with XKR, but the trunk still won't open. Neither key will open it AND the brand new key fob that I just now bought and had programmed at the Jaguar dealership won't open it.

The dealership mechanic thinks that something might have been jammed between the lock and the trunk, preventing the mechanism from working. The mechanic wants to drill a hole in the trunk behind the license plate so that he can manipulate the lock, open the trunk, and figure out what is wrong. I stopped that process, waiting to see if there is a potentially better solution. The vehicle is NOT in 'valet mode'.

Is there a particular fuse that I should check to see if it is blown? It there a better place to physically cut a hole to gain access?

What are your ideas?

Thanks, Jaguar gurus!

Last edited by Jeff in Tucson; 06-06-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

So you do not have access to your lug wrench, jack, spare tire, and battery right now?

If that's true, I would not take the car out on the road until access is regained. Murphy's Law, you know....

Old 05-31-2012, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

The keyholle in the back isn't electrical, it's mechanical so if that doesn't work, it does sound like something might be jammed in there.

As for another way to get in there, sorry I have no clue.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Default Fat man in a convertible. =)

This photo is from today. I need to get that grin off of my face and get into that trunk before I take off for a trip to Vegas!

Old 05-31-2012, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,980 Likes on 2,123 Posts

A few questions:

-Does the key turn in the keyhole?

-Am I correct to assume the trunk release dashboard switch does not work also?

-Do you hear a noise of any sort when you press the dashboard switch?

Old 05-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Default Answers...

-Does the key turn in the keyhole?
A: Yes.

-Am I correct to assume the trunk release dashboard switch does not work also?
A: The dashboard switch does not open the trunk.

-Do you hear a noise of any sort when you press the dashboard switch?
A: No noises whatsoever regardless of the type of attempt to open.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,980 Likes on 2,123 Posts

It does sound jammed.

This is highly technical, so pay attention. Turn the key clockwise fully and give the trunk a smart pound at the edge with your fist.

If that does not work, get a locksmith.

The mechaism is in the body. Drilling through the license plate area will accomplish little. I could see drilling behind and below the bumper, but IMHO, if a locksmith cannot break in without damage, the best route would be to smash out your RIGHT plastic tailight to get access. The tailight can be replaced with a salvage unit without compromising the body in any way.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-31-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Jeff
I wholeheartedly agree with White don't drill your trunk lid, a used tail light is a lot cheaper than repairing and repainting the trunk lid. Good luck on getting this resolved.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:56 PM
Received 6,239 Likes on 5,441 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
.......... the best route would be to smash out your RIGHT plastic tailight to get access. The tailight can be replaced with a salvage unit without compromising the body in any way.
I remember reading that this was the Jag recommended way to get access to the X Type boot if it was jammed.
It would break my heart but has to be better than damaging the bodywork.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

My thought if something has jammed the lock.

I would put the key in the key hole between the X and K emblem (right side of license plate ) turn it hard to the right (the only way it will turn, verified) and have one or two people pull straight up on the indentation where the Jaguar 24" emblem is just above the license plate, pull up hard and kind of jerk it as much as possible.

Maybe even use a towel (for protection) and a baseball bat and jam it in the middle right above the lock, maybe try a 8 pound sledge on end of bat tap, tap.

Obviously trying not to damage paint or body by using towel or rubber mat, at the same time have someone turning key to the right.
If it is jammed I would think this would help un-jam.

This is what I would try, if it were my trunk.
Good luck!

Last edited by vettegood; 05-31-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:39 PM
Default Incredible information!

Thank you, VERY MUCH gurus! You guys are awesome. My mechanic now has this information.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Received 6,239 Likes on 5,441 Posts

Any chance of a video?

I'm imagining people drilling holes, smashing the taillight and thumping the lid with baseball bats and sledgehammers.
You can cover your eyes with the towel.

Last edited by Norri; 05-31-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Default Video

I probably won't be at the mechanic's shop when it opens, but I will get a recounting of how they did it and post the results here.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I have had this before, the culprit was something left in the boot shut holding the lid up forcing it against the lock, what we did was turn the key at the back and hold it whilst somebody pushed DOWN so the lock could release, bingo the trunk opened....

Good luck

The following users liked this post:
Jeff in Tucson (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 02:44 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I have had this before, the culprit was something left in the boot shut holding the lid up forcing it against the lock, what we did was turn the key at the back and hold it whilst somebody pushed DOWN so the lock could release, bingo the trunk opened....

Good luck
Yup. Mine was stuck once and a firm push downward allowed the latch to release. Beating on the car seems scary.

It's like the American soldiers said during WWII: the French girls opened up so easy, but the British girls were always a tussle.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
Any chance of a video?

I'm imagining people drilling holes, smashing the taillight and thumping the lid with baseball bats and sledgehammers.
You can cover your eyes with the towel.
I would pay £££ to see that

Old 06-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 2 other things to try.

Just 2 thoughts.... drive and brake hard, then try the trunk key. A hard brake may dislodge any loose trunk items that may be preventing the trunk from opening. You may have lodged something in it from a hard acceleration.

The valet switch - maybe that is preventing trunk access. Play with that, the key fob, and unplugging the valet switch and replugging, or pulling its fuze if it's in one of the non-trunk fuse boxes.

I think these would be 2 last ditch efforts to try prior to busting lights or drilling.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

pushing down on the trunk sounds reasonable to me. Had the same situation with a BMW and the downward force solved the problem. If that doesn't work I'd go with the tail lamp access.

we are all curious to know the end result so please post the solution.

Barry

Old 06-03-2012, 06:39 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Have any of you replaced your trunk latch, the cable, or the links where the cable attaches to the latch?

Old 06-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Default The trunk is open!!!

Falconworks called me in the afternoon to tell me that they had gotten it open WITHOUT cutting a hole or breaking the right tail light lens! They said that they had removed plugs that were in the bottom of the trunk area and opened a small place in the body (hidden) where there was no weld that is about 1 1/4" x 2" to be able to manipulate the cable/lock using time and rigid wire. I'll be able to see their work and take photos tomorrow morning.

They said that someone had locked the trunk from the inside using a latch of some kind (behind a piece of trim), then shut it to permanently have it locked. They were able to manipulate that latch to open the trunk. They have isolated that latch with stainless wire so that it can't ever be manually locked from the inside again. They found that the dash button and remote button both work great to unlock the trunk now. The key will open the trunk, but only with finesse (a light touch and multiple tries).

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I get to see inside of my trunk for the first time tomorrow!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trunk STILL won't open...