Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Center Brakelight fixes while hiding Sirius Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Two Center Brakelight fixes while hiding Sirius Antenna

Howdy folks:
For 2+ years I have been putting up with my eyesore Sirius magnetic mount antenna (pics attached to explain), and I wanted to explore the possibility of hiding it under the third brakelight cover . Early on, I discovered that the brakelight cover was loose on the drivers side (broken plastic tab) and in trying to get inside to find out what was going, I removed the 3 black plastic stud cover disks and discovered that two of the three mounting studs/nuts were rusted beyond undoing.
Only now have I had time to get back on this project. I took a die grinder to the 2 studs and removed the unit. In the process, I managed somehow to break the remaining pass. side cover tab. I now suspect that previously, someone took a high pressure car wash wand and got to close to the unit causing the one cover tab to break and force water around the studs which started the rust.
At this point, I now have 3 separate problems. First, some way to attach the cover so that it remains removable. Second, a way to replace the studs so that they will not spin around or move up or down. (you can see how the remaining factory center stud was plastic welded in one photo) And third, my quest to hide the antenna.
Here are my fixes: (I do not claim they are the best fixes but they did work for me)
First, the cover tabs upper traverse portion remained so that I could put holes (toward the rear for strength) in them to “screw” expansion springs one turn or so both toward the center of the cover. Then for spring clearance, I removed the back half of the mating locking tabs (up to the gusset) on the white plastic base. I did this so that a loop of dental floss could be attached to the other end of the spring and “fished” out the bottom of the base on both sides. (yes, if one of the loops come off, you have to start over fishing) . Once the spring is fished out the bottom, retain it at about the proper tension using a piece of shim stock slit with a hacksaw and sanded to width just wider than the spring wire. Clip excess spring and rotate shim till only one turn of spring is showing.
Second, I fashioned and hot glued stud plates as the pics show. (Credit to my friend for the TIG tack welding)
Last, I could not hide the ant. without taking it out of its case (backplate is screwed on). I killed the original ant. with a slip of a drill. I whittled out the location and hot glued the antenna in, then coated it with hot glue.
I was concerned about the metallic paint affecting the signal but so far, it does not seem to be a factor and I like the stealth look.
I hope nobody has has broken tabs or rusted studs, but if so, you may want the explore this over replacing to whole unit.

Attached Thumbnails Two Center Brakelight fixes while hiding Sirius Antenna-img_8724.jpg   Two Center Brakelight fixes while hiding Sirius Antenna-img_8726.jpg   Two Center Brakelight fixes while hiding Sirius Antenna-img_8727.jpg   Two Center Brakelight fixes while hiding Sirius Antenna-img_8728.jpg   Two Center Brakelight fixes while hiding Sirius Antenna-img_8729.jpg  

Two Center Brakelight fixes while hiding Sirius Antenna-img_8730.jpg   Two Center Brakelight fixes while hiding Sirius Antenna-img_8731.jpg   Two Center Brakelight fixes while hiding Sirius Antenna-img_8732.jpg   Two Center Brakelight fixes while hiding Sirius Antenna-img_8733.jpg  
Old 12-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Nice write-up Dr. D. I am sure the antenna will work well in this location.

For those that do not need to repair the brake light though, the Sirius/XM antenna also works quite well in the convertible on the rear shelf, under the carpet where the folded top stows. BTW, this is the location that Jag uses for the OEM GPS antenna also.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:39 AM
GGG
Received 16,790 Likes on 12,164 Posts

Very neat solution and an excellent pic sequence.

Graham

Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

very proffesional job