XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updated report on driving from Oly, WA to Palm Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:57 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Updated report on driving from Oly, WA to Palm Springs

Some time back in January I posted a couple of times of my decision to not keep the car in the garage, but (83,000 miles and all) drive down to Palm Springs where I would be staying in excess of 3 months. I believe I did a follow up report and informed all that I arrived here, taking three days, all in one piece and feeling fantastic having made the 1,100 mile run in a 1999 XK8 that never missed a beat the entire trip. I was so into this that just north of Bakersfield I turned off I-5 and went inland across the desert rather than continue on freeways down to the LA area and across to Riverside and then on to I-10. No, I added a few miles and an hour or so by driving a route this car was designed to take. My only regret was that there never was a time it would have been good to put the top down. In January the high desert was sunny but a bit cold. However, since being in Palm Springs I think the top has been up just one day. The irony of course it will be soon, about the time I'm heading up north, too hot to keep the top down except in the evenings. However, I am meeting a couple of family members in San Diego on April 10th, taking my 5 year old grandson to LEGOLAND for the weekend. Then I'm putting him and his mom on the plane and that same day, Sunday afternoon heading north back to Olympia. I have determined I'm going to take a week to get back. It will be the Pacific Coast Highway all the way to Astoria, Oregon. Meantime, I have almost an additional month to enjoy myself here in the desert. If I make this trip next year, I would be coming back north about the 2nd week in March and will plan a return through Death Valley. That's something I've always wanted to see.

The following users liked this post:
arttomlin (03-31-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuckB
Some time back in January I posted a couple of times of my decision to not keep the car in the garage, but (83,000 miles and all) drive down to Palm Springs where I would be staying in excess of 3 months. I believe I did a follow up report and informed all that I arrived here, taking three days, all in one piece and feeling fantastic having made the 1,100 mile run in a 1999 XK8 that never missed a beat the entire trip. I was so into this that just north of Bakersfield I turned off I-5 and went inland across the desert rather than continue on freeways down to the LA area and across to Riverside and then on to I-10. No, I added a few miles and an hour or so by driving a route this car was designed to take. My only regret was that there never was a time it would have been good to put the top down. In January the high desert was sunny but a bit cold. However, since being in Palm Springs I think the top has been up just one day. The irony of course it will be soon, about the time I'm heading up north, too hot to keep the top down except in the evenings. However, I am meeting a couple of family members in San Diego on April 10th, taking my 5 year old grandson to LEGOLAND for the weekend. Then I'm putting him and his mom on the plane and that same day, Sunday afternoon heading north back to Olympia. I have determined I'm going to take a week to get back. It will be the Pacific Coast Highway all the way to Astoria, Oregon. Meantime, I have almost an additional month to enjoy myself here in the desert. If I make this trip next year, I would be coming back north about the 2nd week in March and will plan a return through Death Valley. That's something I've always wanted to see.
I'm jealous. sounds like an excellent adventure.
Be sure to schedule a stop at the Hurst castle on your way up the left coast. there's lots of awesome scenery on the coast route, and it's a perfect road for the Jag.

Russ

ChuckB (03-17-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Good for you, enjoy!

ChuckB (03-17-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Yes indeed, enjoy the leisurely trip home. And here's to zero issues with the car along the way....

Old 03-18-2015, 01:41 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hurst Castle is for sure on the list of stops on the way back to the Northwest. No real schedule for the entire trip. Really, if I drive three hours and don't feel like going any further that day, that's it. It is nice to be able to be flexible.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:26 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuckB
Some time back in January I posted a couple of times of my decision to not keep the car in the garage, but (83,000 miles and all) drive down to Palm Springs where I would be staying in excess of 3 months. I believe I did a follow up report and informed all that I arrived here, taking three days, all in one piece and feeling fantastic having made the 1,100 mile run in a 1999 XK8 that never missed a beat the entire trip...............
Chuck,

Yes, you did. Here's the link to the original thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-miles-134154/

Enjoy the rest of your stay.

Graham

Old 03-18-2015, 02:53 PM
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

forgot to mention: also stop at the Trees of Mystery and ride the tram up the hill. nice scenery and an enjoyable walking/hiking trail there also. look for Paul Bunyon. you can't miss him ;-)

Russ