XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vent pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vent pipe

I have been reading several threads about batteries and the use of a charger. With the cold days back in the UK, I use my CTEK almost constantly within the boot of my car. I understand that's not exactly recommended without vent pipe. My battery is aftermarket and I can't see any part likes it. I have looked to buy one but it does not seem an obvious part...

Any recommendations on the best course of action ? building one or buying one ? Also I could not find detailed illustrations on how this pipe is supposed to be fitted, I welcome those !

Many thanks !
Jerome

Old 11-11-2013, 05:22 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerome_UK
......... Also I could not find detailed illustrations on how this pipe is supposed to be fitted ..........
The OE Varta battery has a right angled vent on the LH side (arrowed in yellow). This connects to a black pipe (arrowed in red) which passes through a grommet in the floor to vent beneath the vehicle.

Vent pipe-battery-vent.jpg

It's dangerous to have a non vented battery in an enclosed space like the luggage compartment.

Graham

Old 11-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Many batteries have vents in the ends. You may have to actually remove the battery to find it like I did. I found a piece of rigid polythene tubing to fit the hole and then used rubber vacuum tubing to exit through the hole in the floor.
If you do not have a vent hole you are risking the car, and the garage if it's kept inside.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your replies, I stopped charging as the explosion thing freaks me out.

I read somewhere that "the real danger of an exploding battery comes when the battery temperature is close to or below freezing, and you charge it in that state. A buildup of hydrogen can occur, and it only takes a small spark to make a large BANG."

Right, don't want to make the headlines so I will take the battery off the boot next WE and investigate properly how to fit these vent tubes. Surprising that, taking into account the potential danger, these vent pipes are not provided with the battery when purchased. May be the previous owner threw them away.

Last edited by Jerome_UK; 11-12-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-12-2013, 05:41 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerome_UK
.......... Surprising that, taking into account the potential danger, these vent pipes are not provided with the battery when purchased. .........
The OE battery has a vent at either end and replacement OE batteries are delivered with both these vent holes plugged (see LH arrowed in red) :

A right angle adapter is included. The appropriate plug is removed and the adapter push fitted.

The black vent pipe is (or should be) a permanent fixture in the vehicle and this is pressed onto the adapter.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Vent pipe-new-battery.jpg