Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage Reduction Kit to Reduce Hydraulic Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts
Default Voltage Reduction Kit to Reduce Hydraulic Pressure

I posted this over in the Voltage Reduction System thread, but some members may have lost interest in that thread, and new members may not wade through 10 pages to get to the post about this kit. Soooo...

If anyone wants to do the voltage reduction fix, I'm now selling a complete harness that you can simply plug in. There is no need to cut, solder, and crimp wires. Here's what you get:

This pic shows the complete harness. I left the wires long enough so that you can mount it on the top of the metal rack that holds the pump if you want. Or, you can just fold the wires over and zip tie it to the existing harness. Most wire insulation is rated for at least 500 degrees Fahrenheit, so you're not going to melt the wiring.

And here's a closeup of the connectors. They match the existing connectors perfectly. Thanks go to reko19 for finding those.

I'll also throw in a couple of zip ties so you can tie it down somewhere. You don't want it rattling around back there. I'll be uploading a video shortly which shows how easy it is to install. The cost for the whole resistor harness assembly is $20 which includes shipping to the US. If you want it shipped outside of the US then let me know and I'll figure out how much shipping costs to your country.

By the way, all connections are SOLDERED so they will not come apart. On the resistor itself the connections are soldered then shrink-wrapped to prevent the solder joint from shorting out on something in the trunk. The pins on these connectors are very tight, so you might want to slide the male and female bits together a few times before clicking them down tight.

Just PM me your address and I'll PM you my paypal address. You can also mail me a $20 bill if you don't do paypal.

Here's a video I made which shows how to install the resistor harness. As you can see in the video, the design has changed slightly since I made the original resistor harness. It functions exactly the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DSIGV69ges

Last edited by Reverend Sam; 04-26-2011 at 10:06 PM.
The following 11 users liked this post by Reverend Sam:
Bob OB (04-14-2013), djpxk8 (05-17-2011), Jeff in Tucson (04-25-2012), JeffereyGreen (04-19-2011), Lifts (04-27-2011), mcbeefsteak (10-12-2011), MJW-XKR (05-27-2011), porkenstein (06-14-2011), RJag (04-26-2011), teckwing (05-15-2011), waltwagner (05-17-2012) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Another Great Job Sam! BTW I went with your rear window up with top down method due to its simplicity and the single tap to roll down the window prior to raising the top is easy. Thanks for the parts although my big hands made the connections in the console challenging. The only mod I made was I mounted the switch on the drivers side inside the console to make it easier to access.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Oh wow. Those look nice. I'll get one for my XKR.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

By the way, I know it looks like it says 2 ohms on the resistor, but it is really a 0.2 ohm resistor. I put my Fluke on it and it is definitely 0.2. I was actually a little pissed when I opened the package because I thought they had sent me the wrong thing. The meter says otherwise. I also tested it in my car.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Sam, can you identify those connectors? I already have my resistor but have not installed it yet.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

I FORGOT TO GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!!! Dennis07 did all of the research to figure out how to make this work. He did a complete writeup on it right here: www.scorekeeper.com/jaguar/jaguar01.htm Then, reko19 figured out who manufactured the connectors and where to buy them. All I did was buy all of the pieces and assemble them into a unit.

I put off doing this on my own car for months because I wasn't quite sure where to buy the resistor and then when I found the resistor, the cost of shipping was as much as the resistor. Yeah, I know, it's just a few dollars, but I'm cheap and the thought of paying as much for shipping as for the actual part just bugged me.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Sam, can you identify those connectors? I already have my resistor but have not installed it yet.
Reko found them. Here's his post with links on where to buy them.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e9/#post329037

Keep in mind that each connector uses two pins so you need to buy twice as many pins as connectors.

The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (04-13-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Great job!

An additional thought; the unit would look more OEM if the wires were covered with black tubing. I use shrink wrap, unshrunk as a cover as I have a supply.

If you have a couple connectors left over, or order another batch, I would like to update my installation.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

I bought 20 connectors but I had a brain fart and only ordered 20 pins. Each connector takes 2 pins, so I only have enough parts right now to make 10 complete assemblies. Of those, 6 have already been spoken for, and I screwed up one pin while soldering it, so right now I only have enough parts to make three more. I'm assuming those will be sold in short order. If they do, I'll order some more pins along with some extra pins/connectors for you.

The following users liked this post:
test point (04-14-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

I'll take a set. Send me your address and I'll mail you a $20. email is BSudderth@juno.com

Bob

Old 04-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the hydraulic solution, but have yet to open the box.
I think I can handle some wiring without much issue. Please email me at don@kiwisurfer.co.nz and I'll take a set too.
Do you paypal or prefer another funding route?
I'm here in the states for now.
Cheers,
Don

Old 04-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

I think I've sold the initial 10 that I had the parts for, and I don't want to take anyone's money unless I actually have the product in hand. I'll update this thread when I have more parts.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by jphar123
Hi. I am new to this forum and would like to purchase one of your kits. This system will not allow me to post a PM to you. Please contact me at pat@patsjags.com.
Although Sam is out of stock, you can roll your own, which is what folks here did before Sam was nice enough to assemble a plug-and-play kit. Pretty easy if you're comfortable with soldering or crimping connectors.

Parts and supplier lists at www.scorekeeper.com/jaguar/jaguar01.htm

Good luck.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

"Roll your own" LOL! You've been hanging out on the Jersey shore too long!

Old 04-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
"Roll your own" LOL! You've been hanging out on the Jersey shore too long!
Guilty as charged .

There used to be a place, I bet a few guys here remember it, named Jimmy Byrne's Sea Girt Inn. We're going back decades now, but it was legendary. If you couldn't score some female companionship there, you were pretty much out of luck.

One summer a bunch of us rented a house where we could walk to the place. Good thing too, because driving home would often have been unwise if not impossible.

Last edited by Dennis07; 04-15-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: spelling, as usual
Old 04-16-2011, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member

OK... here's the deal. I've gotten a little confused between PayPal payments and payments sent through the mail. The 5 of the 6 people who already paid me by PayPal should have received tracking info directly from PayPal. #6 just got an email from me. And EZDriver just got a tracking email from me. xenophobe, I'll send you your tracking info tomorrow after I go to the post office.

That leaves 2 assemblies. Both are already spoken for. In fact, they are overly spoken for. I thought I had one more than I actually do. Of the three people I PMed or emailed, the first two will get these last assemblies. I have more pins on order so I can make another 10, plus I ordered a couple of extra pins and connectors for a couple of people who told me that they already have the resistor and just want the connector. Those should all be here this coming week. I already got the tracking info from Mouser and Digi-Key. Once the parts show up I'll make another ten. I didn't expect these to be sold so fast, and I was rather unprepared. I apologize if I promised anyone a resistor from this first batch but failed to deliver.

I did a little experimenting on the last few assemblies that I made. I couple of you are getting assemblies that are either fully jacketed or shrink-wrapped at strategic locations. That should help keep the wires together and keep everything neater looking. I'll post pics of the next one that I build.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

mine arrived this morning, thanks for the quick shipment Rev!

Old 04-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OhioXK
mine arrived this morning, thanks for the quick shipment Rev!
LOL! Are you serious? I did the tracking on it this morning and it was still showing "Electronic Shipping Info Received". The USPS sucks. Fedex and UPS tracking show you exactly where the package is at that moment. I'm so glad the government is taking control of my health care.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

By the way... I'm making some changes to the next batch I ship out. The wires are going to be jacketed from one end to the other, and I'm going to include a little strip of double-sided thermal tape so you can stick the resistor to the top of the rack that holds the pump. Although I don't think heat is really a big issue, the tape will allow a convenient way to mount the resistor and it will let the rack act as a heat sink to keep the resistor cooler if you decide to see if you can catch it on fire by raising and lowering the top time after time.

Quick Reply: Voltage Reduction Kit to Reduce Hydraulic Pressure