XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water dribble ? AC condens water or what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:36 AM
Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Water dribble ? AC condens water or what?

Hi guy's I have a question

is this condense water from the AC or what? (it feel's and smell as pure water) , never had this on my other car's
- cooling temp is fine steady at 95C , now waiting for the engine to cool down so I can check the cooling level in the expansion tank

Last edited by Salo; 07-08-2017 at 08:35 AM. Reason: corrected spelling error
Old 07-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I have seen this on my car after running ac, coolant cannot be confused with water, at least in my experience colour and smell a dead give away.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

If it looks, feels, smells, and tastes like water, it is indeed nothing but A/C condensation. We see it on our driveway every time we drive any of our vehicles this time of year. Low 90s heat and high humidity means plenty of water condensation underneath every driven vehicle in our neck of the woods....

Old 07-08-2017, 10:10 AM
Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

many thanks for Your reply's - it's indeed condensed water from the AC and just checked the coolant level in expansion tank and it is full to the top, so nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Salo; 07-08-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:09 AM
Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Two drips - good sign

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to add my experience, which is one of my posts too. After purchasing my car from a friend, who never ever used the AC - I accidently discovered one of the two evaporator drains had a hole in it. This allowed the water to leak from the right hand evaporator drain hose and pool under the drivers side carpet. This I found but accident when changing the handbrake cable, after it snapped during the transportation from Sydney, Australia to North Queensland.
There are two drain hoses, one either side if the evaporator, behind the radio.
So an easy indicator all is well, is that you have two water drips from each side, which then drips on the heat shields.
By pure coincidence, I managed to find this days after I started driving it with the AC on and there was about 5 litres of water precent, which was fresh as drinking water, so not yet stinking or mouldy. I was also amazed that it didn't indicate wet in any way, even on the rear floor - which is due to the amount of foam underneath the carpet.

To replace the damaged hose - it was quite simply a case of removing the centre console, then peeling the centre tunnel carpet back and remove/replace the damaged hose, which had a big hole in it.

Regards
Joe

Attached Thumbnails Water dribble ? AC condens water or what?-img_0028.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by XKJoe:
Johnken (11-18-2017), Jon89 (11-18-2017), Salo (11-20-2017)