XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exactly are the faults with the x100 xkr with the 4.0L?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Default What exactly are the faults with the x100 xkr with the 4.0L?

What things will I need to change to keep my x100 xkr running for a lifetime? I have almost new xkr silverstone with 6k miles on it. Going to change out the tensionors in the next few weeks or so. The tires are only two years old. The previous owner maintained the heck out of te car. So I imagine the fluids are not terrible, but going to check them out. What else do I need to address in order to keep it running like new?

Old 06-25-2013, 04:15 AM
GGG
Received 16,746 Likes on 12,140 Posts

Low miles doesn't necessarily guarantee longevity or reliability. Scheduled servicing is on a miles or time basis and, with your 6K miles Silverstone, should have been done annually.

A check through the FAQ's at the top of this section will show that the major issues members experience with the 4.0 litre are:

1. tensioners
2. cooling system
3. transmission

Regardless of low use, rubber components will deteriorate over time. Tyres should be discarded as the rubber dries and cracks start to appear. With our UK climate, this is typically around ten years but higher average temperatures reduce this considerably. Your two year old tyres will have quite a lot of life left in them.

Similarly cooling hoses are time limited. Much of the cooling system is plastic and Expansion Tanks are a regular fail (as is the level sensor in the base). This is probably the result of repeated heating and cooling cycles but may also prove to be a factor of time elapsed. Only time will tell!

The suspension has a lot of rubber bushes / metalastiks. These may not be worn but will almost certainly be hardening on your Silverstone by now.

If you are considering very long term ownership then trim items are usually the first to disappear from a manufacturer's inventory. Anything damaged or sub standard should be replaced before it becomes irreplaceable. This is even more relevant to a limited edition such as the Silverstone.

Graham

Old 06-25-2013, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,980 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Also look and see if your A-pillars and headliner have loose fabric and need recovering. I have yet to see an X100 where the original backing foam has not deteriorated.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Low miles doesn't necessarily guarantee longevity or reliability. Scheduled servicing is on a miles or time basis and, with your 6K miles Silverstone, should have been done annually.

A check through the FAQ's at the top of this section will show that the major issues members experience with the 4.0 litre are:

1. tensioners
2. cooling system
3. transmission

Regardless of low use, rubber components will deteriorate over time. Tyres should be discarded as the rubber dries and cracks start to appear. With our UK climate, this is typically around ten years but higher average temperatures reduce this considerably. Your two year old tyres will have quite a lot of life left in them.

Similarly cooling hoses are time limited. Much of the cooling system is plastic and Expansion Tanks are a regular fail (as is the level sensor in the base). This is probably the result of repeated heating and cooling cycles but may also prove to be a factor of time elapsed. Only time will tell!

The suspension has a lot of rubber bushes / metalastiks. These may not be worn but will almost certainly be hardening on your Silverstone by now.

If you are considering very long term ownership then trim items are usually the first to disappear from a manufacturer's inventory. Anything damaged or sub standard should be replaced before it becomes irreplaceable. This is even more relevant to a limited edition such as the Silverstone.

Graham
Thanks for the help. I am going to have my mechanic change the tensioners in the next week. I will also have him check all the plastic regarding the cooling system. Is there anything else i can do to prevent a failure? Also isn't the Mercedes trans supposed to be bullet proof?
Good point on getting things fixed now. Do you know if they carry the speaker grill covers for the tweeter by the door? Also the A pillars fabric is starting to sag.
Sorry for any typos, I'm sending this from my phone.
Thanks
Mike

Old 06-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Also look and see if your A-pillars and headliner have loose fabric and need recovering. I have yet to see an X100 where the original backing foam has not deteriorated.
That is funny. Yes my A pillar fabric is starting to come down. Not bad at all yet. Do you know where I can get a replacement?
Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

You can get the A-pillar cloth at any decent fabric store or from an auto upholstery shop. It's really not expensive and you don't need much.

Rev. Sam has a video on how to change it out yourself (pretty simple). Here's the link:

Last edited by Jag#4; 06-26-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added link