XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the ground clearance on a standard XK8/XKR

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 10:21 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Oh yes. Side view tells the story. Your XK looks like mine ( at 55,000 Miles) before I changed the upper spring mount. I did use the Welsh Poly insulators as described above and they did the trick. My XK rides evenly with improved handling. Good luck Rich

Old 04-11-2018, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

From that side pic I would bet that this is more likely the "lowered" springs and not just collapsed upper mounts. That is a lot of drop, way more than loss of the 1 inch rubber in the mount can cause.

Plus I would hope that when the springs were installed a new set of mounts were used for reassembly.

Either way the struts need to come out for a redo. And the Welsh mounts should be used then with proper springs.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:21 PM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rothwell
From that side pic I would bet that this is more likely the "lowered" springs and not just collapsed upper mounts. That is a lot of drop, way more than loss of the 1 inch rubber in the mount can cause.

Plus I would hope that when the springs were installed a new set of mounts were used for reassembly.

Either way the struts need to come out for a redo. And the Welsh mounts should be used then with proper springs.

Yes, both, 4 new (non-lowering) springs and new shock-mounts, maybe max. 4 cm lowering from the springs, the rest from the suffering mounts.
Car is tooooo low.
But absolute good-looking car, real rare nothelle-rims (made by BBS )

Last edited by toaster; 04-12-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:10 AM
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by reb1999
Oh yes. Side view tells the story. Your XK looks like mine ( at 55,000 Miles) before I changed the upper spring mount. I did use the Welsh Poly insulators as described above and they did the trick. My XK rides evenly with improved handling. Good luck Rich
Hopefully I can find the time to do the upper mounts ( and lower bushings ) in the weekend.
Going back to original springs are not really on my wish list as I find the looks of the lowered XKR much more desirable.
I shall report back when the work has been done

Old 04-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Replacing the upper mounts alone will get you a max of just under 1 inch improvement, assuming that they are completely collapsed now.

The earlier ride height numbers mentioned before were incorrect. Here's the spec for reference.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:48 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

She is a beauty!

Old 04-16-2018, 04:11 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Most cars I have looked at seem lower than the stock photos online. To be honest I think they look nice lower. As long as it's lowered and not lower because of worn out parts, is there a problem with lower cars?

Old 04-16-2018, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeagar
Most cars I have looked at seem lower than the stock photos online. To be honest I think they look nice lower. As long as it's lowered and not lower because of worn out parts, is there a problem with lower cars?
They definitely look better lowered, but there is no Camber adjustment up front and ride height sets the camber (the lower the car, the more negative camber)

Negative camber improves handling to a point so the only downside is faster tire wear.

Bilstein shocks (the factory shocks) are very popular for coil over conversions in the US and it shouldn't be very hard or expensive to make an adjustable setup (less than $350 US including new shocks). There aren't enough X100's in the US to make it commercially profitable, but people on Jaguarforums have done it. It just requires machining an additional snap ring groove, lower in the shock body.

The following users liked this post:
Jeagar (04-19-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 04:31 PM

Job done now. New upper mounts ( the old ones looked OK to me ) and new lower shock bushings ( the old ones where toast )
After a good test drive I found the front ground clearance to be 100mm against 90mm before this job was done

Old 04-17-2018, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Supersprint
Job done now. New upper mounts ( the old ones looked OK to me ) and new lower shock bushings ( the old ones where toast )
After a good test drive I found the front ground clearance to be 100mm against 90mm before this job was done

Sure, 10mm difference now and job was done?

Old 04-17-2018, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

I tried to convince you it was the springs. The math can't lie.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by rothwell
I tried to convince you it was the springs. The math can't lie.
You are so right about the math
If the upper mounts had been toast as well as the lower bushings I could probably have gained at total of 20mm extra front ground clearance, and that I think, could have helped sufficiently on my "nose problem"
New springs then ?? I would love the car to be more comfortable, but I don't like the look of the original car as much as the lowered one. That's a difficult decision to make and...

Old 04-18-2018, 09:32 AM

If the upper mounts had been toast as well as the lower bushings I could probably have gained at total of 20mm extra front ground clearance, and that I think, could have helped sufficiently on my "nose problem"
New springs then ?? I would love the car to be more comfortable, but I don't like the look of the original car as much as the lowered one. That's a difficult decision to make and...
Your problem is not lowered, but toooooo lowered.
New (less lowering) springs?

Old 04-18-2018, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Typically these cars look pretty good with just the rear lowered to level it out.

Do you know or can you find out exactly which springs are installed now?

Before replacing it would be good to make sure the replacements are not more of the same.

Last edited by rothwell; 04-18-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:24 AM

The fitted springs are coloured purple and are of the brand "Majestic". Probably fitted in Japan as I imported the car from there.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:25 AM

So are you suggesting original springs at the front, and lowered at the back. Any one that could post pics of a car with this set up please ?

Old 04-19-2018, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

So are you suggesting original springs at the front, and lowered at the back. Any one that could post pics of a car with this set up please ?
ccfulton

guzzi svt

Paul Pavlik

Old 04-19-2018, 02:51 PM

Very good looking cars.
The rear end of my car is lowered 20-30mm from standard ( wheel centre to wheel arch ) and I find that to be OK. The front end is lowered 65mm from standard ( wheel centre to wheel arch ), and yes, that too low.
So what kind of springs will give me a 20mm lowered front ?
All the best
Carsten

Old 04-19-2018, 03:09 PM

Very good looking cars.
The rear end of my car is lowered 20-30mm from standard ( wheel centre to wheel arch ) and I find that to be OK. The front end is lowered 65mm from standard ( wheel centre to wheel arch ), and yes, that too low.
So what kind of springs will give me a 20mm lowered front ?
All the best
Carsten
This:

https://www.adamesh.co.uk/uprated--l...-kit-792-p.asp

Arden Tieferlegungssatz

The following users liked this post:
Supersprint (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 03:36 AM

Great
I just gave adamesh a call and they have the 25mm lowered from springs for 160£. So that is what is going to happen next.

Quick Reply: What is the ground clearance on a standard XK8/XKR