XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the other end of the tweeter wires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 04:32 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Where is the other end of the tweeter wires?

Doing a stereo head unit swap and have a couple of questions.

I had the early '97 radio and bought the Nexxa kit to adapt the new Kenwood KDC-BT562U radio. (nice radio, great features, sits a bit far back in the opening but doesn't go far enough to lock the chassis in the mount, but...worthless during the day. It isn't bright enough to see display unless there is direct sunlight on the face.) Also had to splice the connector for the Kenwood to the harness instead of just plug & Play.

1) I have no tweeters/squawkers (speakers) mounted in the dash or window triangles. However, as I've read elsewhere, I have the connector and wires under the grill. The problem is I have no corresponding wires in the center console like I thought they would be or behind the radio. The only thing I see under the console is the cell phone connector (wonder if that can be used with modern cell phones?). Any idea where the wires from the dash terminate? Do the wires for the door triangle tweeters end there too?

2) Why did they have a braided ground wire big enough to handle starting the car attached to the back of the radio? My new radio has 2-1/2 times the output of the stock one, but only has a 14ga power and ground wire. Is the ground needed for something I'm not seeing? I just attached it to the metal support the center panel is attached to. All seems well.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:37 AM
Received 267 Likes on 199 Posts

All the stereo wires run to a connector in the centre console - you will have to remove it to find them. My XK8 had a non-premium stereo and I upgraded the whole lot (althought I retained the original head unit) and all the wiring runs to a single connector that sits roughly at the rear of the centre cubby-box.