XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will The X100 Body Style 96-06 XK8 / XKR Become A Classic Like E-Type In The Future

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 555 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Felipe Pr
What a beautiful car!!! I will say it looks even more "Jaguar" than ours X100's:icon_clapclap :
Felipe, the XJ41 and XJ42 (the convertible version) were indeed beautiful cars. They are the fraternal, if not nearly identical,twins of the XK8. I tried to post a link to the story of the XJ41, but the link does not work....on that article there are many fascinating pictures of Sir William Lyons himself making recomendations on the design of the car... my favorite photo is one with Sir William observing a prototype nearly identical to the XK8/X100 with his cane pointed at the roof of the car saying "it should be a little lower"--imagine how Ian Callum , the current blimp-maker..uhh, designer, would reply to such a comment.

I will try to link it again : The XJ41 and how it never happened

The following users liked this post:
Felipe Pr (10-27-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The XK8 looks gorgeous and I love it. But being a copy of the E-type which was a real classic breeded from a race car (D type), the XK8 will remain as such, a copy (and XJS based). BTW it's why I purchased one, such great looks with today's technology (yesterday now lol).
Now lets see the other copies we have on the streets today. Will the Mustang, Camaro, Tbird, VW bug, Mini, etc be classics? None of them will ever be other than contraptions inspired from classics to revive sales and/ or memories. Even the XJS is a pale copy of what the E-type was. At least it has the V12, the last jaguar engine fully devolopped at Coventry. The great AJ6 is half a V12. V8 is not Jaguar it's Ford. In 35 years, it's the first time I have to open a "Jaguar" engine to correct design flaws at 20,000km. Remember that a british V12 engine won WWII in the air and on the ground (Meteor). Is the XK8 a classic with a Lincoln or Tbird (copy) engine under the hood? IMHO the XK fares better chances with its new light alloy body. But still it's Ford territory. Remember the 10 or so aluminium bodied Taurus made in the early 90's. Of course there were the Chrysler Airflow, Edsel, Traban and Corvair lloll. I agree that Aston Martin and Ferrari are great cars but the 911 is the sole true classic production car manufactured today. I kept the cat but I went to a cold blooded Porsche for my new ride.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Well, it does not seem that the experts agree with the V8 being a Ford engine.
The Auto Channel--Jaguar XK8 engine

JAGUAR'S FIRST V8 ENGINE:
WORLD-CLASS PERFORMANCE, LUXURY-CLASS REFINEMENT
Extending Jaguar's tradition of introducing engine designs first in its sports car range, the 1997 XK8 debuts with an all-new V8 powertrain exclusive to the model. Designed entirely by Jaguar and manufactured in a dedicated facility in the United Kingdom, this 4.0-liter V8 was engineered to provide refined power.
Designated AJ-V8 inside the company, the engine achieves class leadership in both power output and refinement. At introduction, Jaguar claims best-in-class performance in a variety of measures, including specific power output, weight (441 pounds), power density (engine weight versus power), powertrain rigidity and friction levels. Variable cam phasing helps deliver a minimum of 80 percent of peak torque between 1400 and 6400 rpm, giving responsive performance across a wide range of speeds. A patented high-velocity cooling system helps achieve very fast warm-up, which in turn improves fuel economy.
"This clean-sheet engine design is destined to be ranked alongside the XK-series sixes as a benchmark for responsiveness and engineering brilliance," said Jaguar Cars North America President Michael H. Dale. "It continues a long tradition at Jaguar for designing engines that stir the soul at peak rpm and deliver the broad power range that makes driving an absolute joy."

The Jaguar AJ-V8 engine
Strengths and weaknesses
The Jaguar V8 has now been used in both supercharged and normally aspirated versions in the XK, XJ, and S type
ranges for some 8 years. Designed wholly by Jaguar, the 4.0 litre V8 was first introduced in 1997 using the now
infamous Nikasil lining for the bores. Now 8 years later with more conventional cast iron liners the Jaguar V8 has
a capacity of 4.2 litres developing up to 400bhp and there have been a number of technical changes incorporated
making the engine both stronger and more reliable.

I guess you could quibble that Ford had something to do with the production, but it was a Jaguar design and built in England, so I don't think that it could be accurately called a Ford Engine.

Other than that, you made some interesting observations.

I do agree the 911 is clearly a classic design, as time and performance have proven, and though the look has changed over time, it still pretty much maintains its basic identity, which is truly remarkable over several decades.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

I like the part that says: "For reliability, the camshafts are driven by zero-maintenance, single-row chains..."

Old 10-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

The answer is "yes".

And the 4.0 is the same as the engine used in the Lincoln LSC for 2 years. You can get parts for much less at the Lincoln dealerships.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

The V8 is all Jaguar. Jaguar simply loaned it to Ford who used a destroked version (the 3.9L AJ-35 V8) in the Lincoln LS and retro Ford Thunderbird. In fact, both the Lincoln LS and the Ford Thunderbird used the DEW98 platform which was shared with the Jaguar S-type. The current Jaguar XF still uses a modified version of this platform.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
AJ30/AJ35

The 3.9L (3934 cc) AJ30/AJ35 variant is a unique displacement used only by Ford and Lincoln and is built in Ford's Lima, OH engine plant. Bore is 86 mm (3.4 in) and stroke is 85 mm (3.3 in). The AJ35 version introduced for the 2003 model year added variable valve timing of the intake camshafts and electronic throttle control. While the block, crankshaft, pistons, and connecting rods are all unique to this displacement, many other parts are shared with the AJ-V8 engines produced in the UK by Jaguar.

Vehicles using this engine:
2000-2002 Lincoln LS, 252 hp (188 kW) 267 lb·ft (362 N·m)
2002 Ford Thunderbird, 252 hp (188 kW) 267 lb·ft (362 N·m)
2003-2006 Lincoln LS, 280 hp (209 kW) 286 lb·ft (388 N·m)
2003-2005 Ford Thunderbird, 280 hp (209 kW) 286 lb·ft (388 N·m)
Ford Forty-Nine concept

The last AJ35 was produced in March 2006 after only 3 years. Total run of AJ30/35 was nearly 250,000 units

Last edited by K.Westra; 10-27-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 555 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by cat888
The XK8 looks gorgeous and I love it. But being a copy of the E-type which was a real classic breeded from a race car (D type), the XK8 will remain as such, a copy (and XJS based). BTW it's why I purchased one, such great looks with today's technology (yesterday now lol).
Now lets see the other copies we have on the streets today. Will the Mustang, Camaro, Tbird, VW bug, Mini, etc be classics? None of them will ever be other than contraptions inspired from classics to revive sales and/ or memories. Even the XJS is a pale copy of what the E-type was. At least it has the V12, the last jaguar engine fully devolopped at Coventry. The great AJ6 is half a V12. V8 is not Jaguar it's Ford. In 35 years, it's the first time I have to open a "Jaguar" engine to correct design flaws at 20,000km. Remember that a british V12 engine won WWII in the air and on the ground (Meteor). Is the XK8 a classic with a Lincoln or Tbird (copy) engine under the hood? IMHO the XK fares better chances with its new light alloy body. But still it's Ford territory. Remember the 10 or so aluminium bodied Taurus made in the early 90's. Of course there were the Chrysler Airflow, Edsel, Traban and Corvair lloll. I agree that Aston Martin and Ferrari are great cars but the 911 is the sole true classic production car manufactured today. I kept the cat but I went to a cold blooded Porsche for my new ride.
I guess such things are a matter of perception. In my view the XK120-150, the E type, the XJS and the XK8 are totally different cars all bearing the same family resemblance. I would definately have to disagree that the XJS is a "pale" copy of the E type , it is so different (for better or worse, depending on your opinion), that people could not believe that such a car replaced the E. .....And as far as these "flawless" Jaguar engines before Ford took over.......my grandfather could not park his XK120 on hill without having all the oil come out..(in 1959)...his 79 XJS V12 set on fire on the 5th day after he bought it new..and his 88 XJ40 had a blown head gasket in 1989 one year after he bought it(and two generations later we are still Jaguar enthusiasts).....Sure once the engines where refined they were great, but by no means where the pre 1990 cars perfect.

I think that a lot of people wrongly assume that when Ford took over they "Fordurized" everything. This is completely untrue. The AJ16 engine, the XK8, the X300 (again, The XJ41 and how it never happened )
where all on the making when Ford took over. They might have thrown money at the company like crazy to improve qulity, but I do not think they just dropped Ford engines into the cars. I do know for a fact that Jaguar had been working on a V8 engine on the late 70's and 80's (I will try to link some info), now, what I do not know for a fact is if those engines evolved into the Jaguar AJ V8 or not.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

According to Nigel Thorley's book, the Jaguar V8 was fully developed in house as a Jaguar engine replacing the inline 6 and the V12, neither of which would have worked in the new car. Ford decided to use it (and water down the Jag brand) in the Lincoln. Although, lucky for us, it made some parts less expensive.

Last edited by mike66; 10-28-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:12 AM

I know the AJ26 was built at Coventry by Jaguar. When they acquired Daimler in the early 60's and that company had a good V8, they dropped it. It did not suit their image. Coincidence they came up with a V8 under Ford's ownership? Ford invested in it's development for their own use and there is nothing wrong with it. Much better marketting to have a Jaguar engine in a Lincoln than a Ford engine in a Jaguar. But they cut too many corners and it took 6 years to fix it.
I did all the maintenance on my car for the last 9 years. I saw those flimsy tensionners and plastic parts that crack or disintegrate (water pump). Evey time I start it, I fear it blows in my face and not because of the nikasil, gas is ok here. The XK8 is a based on the XJS and they modified it on purpose so the 6 or 12 could not be fitted. I read that almost 20 years ago. Like I wrote Ford is V8. I miss my 96 XJR 6.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Cat888
You really need to read the following books and you would find out that the Xk8 isn't just a copy of the E-type, or the engine is a Ford. 300 million went into the development of this car. XJ41 was scrapped by Ford when they took over and was told to start with a clean slate. They wanted to go back to the XK and XKE styling, many of the proposed ideas look similar to a XK 120-150 The original XKE's were developed from the race car but it turned into a grand tourer before it ceased production. The XJS was a beautiful grand tourer but lacked the looks of their previous sports cars.

The following books are very informative
Jaguar XK8 & XKR by John Blunsden
You and Your XK8 by Nigel Thorley
Jaguar XK8 by Philip Porter

Another good book to read to see what the experts thought after it was introduced is

Jaguar XK8 & XKR Performance Portfolio 1996-2005

Old 10-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

The 1996-2006 XK's are already a classic in my book. It's one of the few modern cars that have that classic appeal without having that much time passed.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

When I bought my 2002 XKR about 2 years ago, I did so because I already considered it a "classic." It had all of the "features" I consider classic for a sports car including stunning sensuality, high performance, a link to its heritage (XKE), absolute beauty, unique appearance (instantly recognizable), affordability and comfortable drivability. With the original body XK series, it appears to have been born as a classic having met all of the criteria. In the cars I have accumulated over the past couple of decades, I haven't really cared what others thought of as classic, it was my own definition that led me to my small collection. Each of them had caused a visceral reaction the first time I ever laid eyes upon them, and had an appeal that I felt would be timeless, even when I had bought them as new or nearly new cars. My '58 Corvette, '68 GTO, '72 De Tomaso Pantera, '78 Datsun 280Z, and, of course, my 2002 XKR, each have the traits that I considered classic. None of them, however, are as everyday driveable or as comfortable as the XKR which I have turned into a daily driver. I never would have believed that I could have purchased as beautiful and performance oriented, nearly mint conditioned instant classic for about $15,000 and then driven it everyday for the past 2 years. A truly remarkable classic!

Attached Thumbnails Will The X100 Body Style 96-06 XK8 / XKR Become A Classic Like E-Type In The Future-dscf0886-640x480-.jpg   Will The X100 Body Style 96-06 XK8 / XKR Become A Classic Like E-Type In The Future-vp__4040-640x427-.jpg   Will The X100 Body Style 96-06 XK8 / XKR Become A Classic Like E-Type In The Future-280z.jpg  
Old 10-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by cat888
I did all the maintenance on my car for the last 9 years. I saw those flimsy tensionners and plastic parts that crack or disintegrate (water pump). Evey time I start it, I fear it blows in my face and not because of the nikasil, gas is ok here. The XK8 is a based on the XJS and they modified it on purpose so the 6 or 12 could not be fitted. I read that almost 20 years ago. Like I wrote Ford is V8. I miss my 96 XJR 6.
FWIW, Aston Martin fit a v12 into the DB7. It's the same body and shares many of the same components as the 97-06 XK8/XKR.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Classic? Yes!

What do you mean, Will Be a classic! Already there....

Old 10-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,347 Likes on 1,060 Posts

The JEC class them as 'Neo Classics' - the things that could be taken from that are the bottom limits are found within the market place right now so buying is a good call.

Styling is a given, sold loads, instantly recognizable as a Jaguar, even to none car buffs. Performance is also a given.

The engine is 100% Jaguar design, some of Ford's assistance in R&D (with Cosworth involved in production processes, particularly on the cylinder heads by pressure casting from bottom to top in the moulds to force any air out of the castings, making them stiffer).
All engines where made at Ford's engine plant in Bridgend, but had a Jaguar production line within it.

Now Tata own Jaguar, they have to pay for each engine, to Ford, it explains why they've given the green light to new engine plants closer to the factory, instead of designing engines, having Ford make them, (and having new ideas handed over...) then paying for them isn't ideal.

I can see the V6 S/C becoming the latest in a great line of winning engines from Jaguar that takes us into the future, always greener.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:37 AM

It even sounds like a windsor when I crank it lol and not speaking of the duke. One can read a book but can he read between the lines? Sorry to throw bricks in the water puddle. History does tell stories. I will never sell it for sure. There are so few left here that some think it's a prototype, but what make?

Adios caballeros ah ah ah

Old 10-31-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by xenophobe
FWIW, Aston Martin fit a v12 into the DB7. It's the same body and shares many of the same components as the 97-06 XK8/XKR.

Just proves my point. Yes they were willing to do it. Any idea why jaguar did not? I say it again, it took jaguar 6 years to sort the mess and they lost a lot of ground in the process. BMW's, MB's and Porsche thrive now, not speaking of asian. Today early XK8's go for less than 10K$ and DB7's? There are many ways to skin a cat and from that point of view aren't we lucky?

Old 06-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I love the X100 body

Old 06-12-2013, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 148 Posts

I think in 30 years will be even more beautiful!
i love my XKR............................................... .................................................. .................

File:JAGUAR Xkr ALL BLACK.jpg - Wikipedia

Old 06-12-2013, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Xkr

I think in 30 years will be even more beautiful!
i love my XKR............................................... .................................................. .................

File:JAGUAR Xkr ALL BLACK.jpg - Wikipedia

Quick Reply: Will The X100 Body Style 96-06 XK8 / XKR Become A Classic Like E-Type In The Future