XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Adjustment, does this make sense?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 10:22 PM
Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Window Adjustment, does this make sense?

A couple of quick questions (I hope!)

I adjusted the window travel as I had let the car set for a bit more than a week and when cranked, apparently the voltage dropped enough that the windows started acting up by just lowering each time the door was opened and closed. Reset the windows using the hold up and down click method and they held the setting but it was in the wrong place and allowed too much travel causing small splits in the front triangle window gasket rubber on both sides and even overlapped the upper edge of the top bumping against it instead of sealing into it.
I suspect the hard stop adjustment had gotten out of spec due to rough driveway/roads but the electronic memory kept them going to the right position. When the voltage dropped I'm assuming the reset procedure set it to the incorrect position since the stop probably moved. Does that scenario make sense?

How common is it for the stops to "loosen" and need to be readjusted?

I also wondered, is it possible to reset the window positions by using something to block the travel, like a thick piece of cardboard at the top so that pulling the door panel and adjusting the "hard" stops isn't necessary?

Thanks for any input folks.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:41 AM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

It's a JAGUAR and you want to stick a piece of cardboard in the window! I should be arranging for other SC members to come round and take it away.

Losing the window travel limits is often the first sign of a failing battery. Charging/replacing the battery and then resetting the travel limits alone should be enough to put things back to normal without any other adjustment.

However, if the window is not going to the correct position at either the top or bottom extent of travel, the guides are likely to be out of adjustment.

You mention rough driveway/roads so continued vibration could have slackened the adjustment screws allowing the glass to rotate out of position or even the entire regulator assembly to move.

Here's the glass adjustment procedure from JTIS:

Door Window Glass Adjustment.pdf

Time to take the door card off to see exactly what is happening.

Graham

Old 01-31-2018, 07:01 AM

Now Graham. Don't call the Jag police on me just yet! I wasn't advocating leaving cardboard in the window!

I had thought that perhaps there is a short cut (quick, dirty and wrong) to adjust the window travel limit for the electronic memory position only, by putting a temporary spacer in place that would cause the window to stop and save the "forced" position. The "spacer" would then be removed. IF it was possible, or a known cheat, it might have already been used on the car by the dealer I got it from. ( The dealer was a Buick and GMC dealer that didn't know how to take off the parking brake when I showed up for a test drive! They had apparently sent it out for some repairs as well and tried some other BS.) That could explain why the windows seemed so far out of adjustment once the memory failed. Or it could just be loosing adjustment due to use and road conditions but that seemed like a lot of extra travel for the few months I've had it.

Thanks for the link to the window adjustments. I had referenced that a few weeks back when I pulled the interior door panel off and adjusted the drivers side window back in to the correct position. Still need to do the passenger side. Waiting to get some of the "fir trees" before I do that one.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:30 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by XK8 Rebel
Now Graham. Don't call the Jag police on me just yet! I wasn't advocating leaving cardboard in the window! .....
Jag Police stood down until further orders.

Obstruction detection (a.k.a. the anti-trap feature) is not available on this model year so the lift motor would continue to run. The motors exert some serious pressure and could do damage unless you reset the upper travel limit with the (I can't believe I'm actually going to write this) cardboard in place.

Graham

Old 01-31-2018, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Graham, Graham, Graham (I can't believe I'm actually going to write this). I can't believe you wrote it either.
One thing I have learned over the many years of owning Jaguars is do it right or the cat is going to come back hissing and coughing up hairballs.
The quick fix might be the cardboard spacer but in the long run you risk damaging the window mounts, breaking a window or burning up a window motor. Sure it worked for awhile but it isn't fixed.
Fix it right the first time and you never have to go back and fix it again. To often I have dealt with the last guys quick fix and had to go behind and do over. Most wanted to just fix it and sell it.

By the way Graham, just poking fun at you. You do a great job for the forum and I appreciate it.

Last edited by avern1; 01-31-2018 at 11:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GGG (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Just asking...did you have the door closed when you set the window travel limits?

Old 01-31-2018, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Jag Police stood down until further orders.

Obstruction detection (a.k.a. the anti-trap feature) is not available on this model year so the lift motor would continue to run. The motors exert some serious pressure and could do damage unless you reset the upper travel limit with the (I can't believe I'm actually going to write this) cardboard in place.

Graham
Ah ha! I think that clears it up Graham! Without the anti-trap feature, the "spacer" adjustment idea/theory wouldn't work! So that must mean that adjustment got that far out of spec from "normal" use. At least since the last adjustment or voltage drop. The battery indicates it is a 2016 but I don't know the usage it's been subject too, how long it sat, or how many times it may have died. The car seems to have been neglected a bit and I suspect, some quick fixes were done to sell it or trade it to the dealer. I had wondered if that type adjustment was possible as I thought that might explain the big change in position when it was reset but that doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks so much for the insight, I really appreciate it. And for the record, No I didn't put cardboard in the window!

Old 01-31-2018, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Just asking...did you have the door closed when you set the window travel limits?
If you mean using the window button to reset them, yes.

When I adjusted the stop, it was a door open, closed to test, open to adjust , closed to test, etc. etc. Using the final adjustment indicators listed in Jaguar Technical Bulletin 501-52.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

There's your problem, the door must be closed with you sitting in the car when you reset the Windows. If the door is open and you travel the window all the way up it is past the door open drop limit which makes the window drop about a quarter inch when the door opens to clear the rubber striping.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:45 PM

I think you misunderstand Jandreu. When I first reset the windows after they lost their setting, I was indeed sitting in the car with the doors closed. Held the window button down till it clicked and then up until it clicked as instructed from various folks on the site. But after the reset the travel was too far up and caused the window to still drag on the top even after dropping. I then had to open up the interior door panel and adjust the hard stop. That's when you have to repeatedly open and close the door to test the position of the hard stop setting. I hope that is a bit clearer.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:15 AM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

XK8 Rebel, if I read you right, could it be that - irrespective of travel limits - when you open the door, the window glass is not lowering that half inch or so which enables it to clear the rubber trim?
If so, that would point to a weak battery, which you already suspect. Suggest you give it a top up from a charger or, better still, measure resting voltage/have it load checked.
Best of luck.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:53 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by XK8 Rebel
..... No I didn't put cardboard in the window!
I'm so pleased we got over that idea.

Can I sell you some Jaguar fitted luggage?

Window Adjustment, does this make sense?-export-wood-6.jpg

Graham

Old 02-01-2018, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by JagNoir
XK8 Rebel, if I read you right, could it be that - irrespective of travel limits - when you open the door, the window glass is not lowering that half inch or so which enables it to clear the rubber trim?
If so, that would point to a weak battery, which you already suspect. Suggest you give it a top up from a charger or, better still, measure resting voltage/have it load checked.
Best of luck.
JagNoir, The windows lost setting but never stopped dropping and still dropped fine after they were reset. The travel limits were simply beyond the point the drop down would clear the top and gaskets without dragging. I did put it on a trickle charge for a while and haven't had any issues with it losing settings since. Will have to see how long that lasts. Still need to tweak the travel limits and stop on the passenger side but waiting to get some "fir tree" clips before I pull that door panel.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
I'm so pleased we got over that idea.

Can I sell you some Jaguar fitted luggage?

Attachment 209548

Graham

Well bless your pea picking little heart, Graham! And I bet you're willing to cut me a deal! Only $500, eh? I mean after all, it's Jaguar monogrammed! ;^)

The following users liked this post:
GGG (02-02-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member

I stand corrected, hope you get it fixed.