XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Winter

I'm not sure what my plan of attack for this Winter season is.

As it stands now, I will have the Camaro for the forseeable future. I'm not entirely sure which vehicle will be used during which weather. Do I use the Camaro as the daily driver through snow if it's equipped with winter tires? Do I use the XK8?

I was just thinking earlier that I'd keep the XK8 parked until the roads were bare and not worry about winter tires for it while I equipped the Camaro with winters. But now I've come across this link here which will effectively give the XK8 winter wheels and tires for the price of brand new tires. Now I'm considering keeping the Camaro parked and using the XK8 as the winter warrior.

The Camaro's summer tires are pretty worn, I will need a new set pretty soon. That means I'll buy winter tires and summer tires.
The XK8's P-Zeros are pretty new and shouldn't need to be replaced anytime soon. That means I just need winter tires and summer tires for the Camaro.

I'm thinking aloud again. Can any of you help me decipher this?

Old 09-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

I am not sure about your Z28 but I know your XK has ABS and Traction Control. Does it also have heated seats, heated windscreen and headlamp washers? If yes, then I think it would be a fairly easy decision for me. I could be wrong but I also think the Camaro is more prone to rust than the Jaguar; I have not heard of any rust issues with XKs but that could be because I have lived on the west coast for the last 30+ years - I have however, seen a few rusty Camaros when I travel to Michigan for business.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to choose between the two I's also probably choose the XK over a Z-28 for a winter driver. In addition to all the reasons mentioned above the XK also probably has a few more pounds on the Camaro and a little less torque on the low end, making it a little more mild mannered in the snow.

I got caught in about 6" of snow with my XK two years ago and even with the stock tires it did fine. If you're used to driving a Z-28 in the winter you should have no problems with the Jag. You'll find that the car actually does better with the traction control turned off as all the slipping really confuses the car and you loose any feedback or feeling of the road. What kind of insurance do you have on the Jag? I'd make sure I kept full coverage on whichever one I chose as a winter driver.