XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't Start After Winter Shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Won't Start After Winter Shutdown

I tried to start my 2000 XK8 today after it had been stored for 3 months (heated garage). It just turned over but would not start. It's as as if there was no spark or not getting any fuel. I tried to start it about 4 weeks ago but the battery was down (not completely dead). I charged the battery but didn't try to start it until today. When turning the ignition on the system check is ok and all the lights seen to work, it just won't start. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks, Chuckben

Old 03-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Well it could be many things but my guess is that it is cylinder washing. Trying to start the car without doing it and then latter a second attempt and failing will cause the problem. I would suggest that you read both my post prior to attempting to solve the problem. Many have chased the cylinder washing when they had a failed fuel pump or a shifter switch that is not working properly.

http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairNoStart.htm
http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairNikasilSulfur.htm

Please let us know what you find. You have many other causes and we can help you with that just let us know.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckben
I tried to start my 2000 XK8 today after it had been stored for 3 months (heated garage). It just turned over but would not start. It's as as if there was no spark or not getting any fuel. I tried to start it about 4 weeks ago but the battery was down (not completely dead). I charged the battery but didn't try to start it until today. When turning the ignition on the system check is ok and all the lights seen to work, it just won't start. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks, Chuckben
See if you have fuel pressure at the schrader valve,no pressure,then it could be your fuel pump.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Probably Fuel Pump. Both of my Pumps (XKR) were open circuit after winter storage. $1400 at a quality independent garage.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
Probably Fuel Pump. Both of my Pumps (XKR) were open circuit after winter storage. $1400 at a quality independent garage.
That Sucks!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gus
That Sucks!
True, Especially since both Pumps were working fine when car was stored (in dry garage).

2 Jaguar Fuel Pumps @ $245 ea.
2 Jaguar Fuel Pump Harnesses @ 139 ea.
R&R Tank and install Pumps, Sales Tax etc. etc. about $650

Old 03-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I remember reading about the dead fuel pumps after storage, symptoms and conditions seem very similar. That's where I'd lay my chips down if I were in vegas.

Sorry Chuck...fuel pressure check will tell the tale!

Old 03-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

If you read my no-start I do suggest to check for fuel and spark first. To bypass either or both is senseless and a good waste of time. Most every no start has been fuel, spark, shifter selector switch or washed cylinders. I recently had 3 cars that were washed cylinders this 2010 year after storage. Check for both spark and fuel if you have both chances are washed cylinders is the problem with few exceptions. I should mention 1997 – 2001 models.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:22 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
$1400 for two fuel pumps???

Old 03-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by GreenJewel
$1400 for two fuel pumps???
Can be,the fuel pump part # JLM20756 list for $414.00ea trade net $285.99ea.And a half day of Labor.I replaced mine and it is a time consuming job to remove the fuel lines and pull the tank to get at the pumps,I also have an XKR with two pumps,it takes the same amount of time to get to the opening.Plus the time getting fuel out of the tank.
I also had it happen after storage.I tested both pumps after I pulled them and both were dead as a door nail. I think someone on the forum had pump failures and took his pumps apart to see what happened.I don't recall what his finding were because I had replaced mine and the rest was water over the dam.
I would follow Gus suggestions and make sure that it not spark or fuel.The thing about the fuel pump failure is that you can't find it by an OBD code,you have to do it the old fashion ways.
If you use search the forum under fuel pumps you will see what Paul and I went through.

Last edited by eaglexkr; 03-16-2010 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eaglexkr
Can be,the fuel pump part # JLM20756 list for $414.00ea trade net $285.99ea.And a half day of Labor.I replaced mine and it is a time consuming job to remove the fuel lines and pull the tank to get at the pumps,I also have an XKR with two pumps,it takes the same amount of time to get to the opening.Plus the time getting fuel out of the tank.
I also had it happen after storage.I tested both pumps after I pulled them and both were dead as a door nail. I think someone on the forum had pump failures and took his pumps apart to see what happened.I don't recall what his finding were because I had replaced mine and the rest was water over the dam.
I would follow Gus suggestions and make sure that it not spark or fuel.The thing about the fuel pump failure is that you can't find it by an OBD code,you have to do it the old fashion ways.
If you use search the forum under fuel pumps you will see what Paul and I went through.
I recently had a friend that replaced his fuel pump and I wanted to help and get photos to make a procedure for everyone but he was in a rush and did not take photos. He also sees no reason to doing procedures. I totally disagree!!! With the amount of fuel pumps going bad I am willing to put together a PDF on the how to if someone is willing to work with me on it. I will give it to them to post as they wish. I do it because I like to do it and want nothing in return. And thanks for saying my procedure provides a little guidance.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Who forgot to ask Chuck if he heard the pumps come on?

Chuckben when you turn the key to position II can you hear the pumps come on or is it silent. Just because it does not start does'nt mean the pumps are bad. But if you can't hear them then they are bad. You will be listening for a hum from behind the rear seat. It may help if you have the trunk open.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...=won%27t+start

This is the problem I had this winter. Read through the post it may help if you do hear your pumps com on.

Last edited by daddyo007; 03-16-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Always check for fuel and spark!!!!!!

Old 03-16-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
I recently had a friend that replaced his fuel pump and I wanted to help and get photos to make a procedure for everyone but he was in a rush and did not take photos. He also sees no reason to doing procedures. I totally disagree!!! With the amount of fuel pumps going bad I am willing to put together a PDF on the how to if someone is willing to work with me on it. I will give it to them to post as they wish. I do it because I like to do it and want nothing in return. And thanks for saying my procedure provides a little guidance.
Gus,that would be awesome.I wish that would have been around when I went through it.
The hardest part was getting up to where the fuel line connect to the tank,you can't see them and to have to put the disconnect into the connection to pull out the lines.Thank again for all your help on the forum!!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I have not had the pleasure but I understand it is a real opportunity!!!!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gus
I have not had the pleasure but I understand it is a real opportunity!!!!
I think the key to this is not to put the car in storage for the winter. I thought you would like that!!!!!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

FWIW, The Shrader Valve for the Fuel Pressure Test is located on the Front of the Left Fuel Rail on the XKR and on the Rear of the Right Rail on the XK8.

XK8:
Name:  XK8_Reg.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  23.6 KB

Old 03-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked spark and it was ok. I tried to hear the fuel pumps when turning on the ignition, and I heard a fast clicking sound for 3 or 4 seconds. But it was coming from the engine compartment. So it might be bad fuel pumps. I want to check fuel pressure next but I need to get a gage to connect to the fitting on the fuel rail. Can this pressure gage be easily obtained from, say Harbor Freight or NAPA?

Chuckben

Old 03-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Chuckben
I checked spark and it was ok. I tried to hear the fuel pumps when turning on the ignition, and I heard a fast clicking sound for 3 or 4 seconds. But it was coming from the engine compartment. So it might be bad fuel pumps. I want to check fuel pressure next but I need to get a gage to connect to the fitting on the fuel rail. Can this pressure gage be easily obtained from, say Harbor Freight or NAPA?

Chuckben
You can normally rent them from Autozone or other car parts store.You really don't need the tester to see if you have fuel pressure,the schrader valve is like the valve on your tire,press on the valve and if you have pressure gas will come out.Put a rag around the area to trap the gas if it does come out.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Have someone in the car and turn the key while trying to start it. You will need to have the hood open for this. I believe the clicking will be from the starter or the throttlebody. Injectors usually will buzz not click. The starter is low in front of the passenger side firewall. The throttle body is at the end of the airbox on the top of the engine. When mine would not start this winter the electronics on the side of the throttlebody were clicking and trying to move the butterfly in the correct position to start. Is the engine trying to turn over? Just won't start?

But as the others have said fuel and spark first.

Just my cents worth to help.

Quick Reply: Won't Start After Winter Shutdown