XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wood dash trim problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Wood dash trim problem

I recently had the light bulb replaced on the tach on my '05 XK8 convertible. It was covered under the factory warrenty. They apparently had to remove the wood trim around the main guages and the left A/C duct to get at it. When they re-installed the trimpieces they did notfasten them correctly and the lower left corner of the guage trim protrudes about a quarter of an inch. If you push on the guage trim anywhere, it and the A/C trim flex quite a bit. Pushing on the other trim pieces appear quite solid.

The problem is that I have taken it back 3 times about this and each time they give it back to me the same and now they are telling me it is the best they can do.

Does anyone have any experieince with removing and replacing these trim pieces correctly. There must be a correct way of doing it since they get it right at the factory.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts
Default RE: Wood dash trim problem

The warranty repair, based on your description was woefully inadequately. You do not leave an instrument panel with that kind of repair. Tell them to fix it or others will be involved.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Mines a little off too from replacing the steering column. I just don't look at it.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:26 AM

It's not in my nature to ignore it. I see it every time I get in the car. I'm obsessed with getting it fixed.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:33 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Here's what I can contribute to the problem in general, although I have no specific knowledge on XK8 as new as '05 (or '03):

The veneer panel backing is an aluminum plate, fitted with horizontal mounting tabs. These blade-shaped tabs push into spring steel mouning clips in the facia. When you remove a panel, the clips come out of the facia: they bite pretty well into the mounting tabs.

To properly refit the panel, you have to remove the mounting clips from the tabs, and reinstall them in the facia cutouts first. Put a dab of vaseline on the end of each tab, and evenly press the panel back in place.

If you refit the panel with the clips still attached to the tabs, most often it won't be flush when you press it home.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the info. From your description it sounds like they are not resetting the clips as you described. Is it difficult to remove the panel? Do you need any special tools? I would like to try to correct this myself but I'm afraid I might damage the panel.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have a warranty for a reason, If you can't get anywhere with the service manager Than [/align]get with the General manager of the dealership. If he gives you no satisfaction, call Jaguar direct they are usually very good at dealing with these type of issues ( I have only had to go that far once in the 11 years I have owned Jags and they got the issue dealt with within 48 hours) Why should you have to fool with it yourself[/align]

Old 10-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my 06 from a dealership and the dash was loose. They told me that the clips were broken and they had to order the parts. That was the 8th of July. The car has been to 3 dealers, and the selling dealer twice now, and none of the dealers have been able to get the clips (supposedly backordered) to put the dash back together correctly.

One dealer tried using a glue adhesive...

The car goes back to the selling dealer this coming week, and supposedly they finally have the clips in stock.

Dave

Old 10-24-2008, 05:28 AM

ORIGINAL: o2manyfish

I bought my 06 from a dealership and the dash was loose. They told me that the clips were broken and they had to order the parts. That was the 8th of July. The car has been to 3 dealers, and the selling dealer twice now, and none of the dealers have been able to get the clips (supposedly backordered) to put the dash back together correctly.

One dealer tried using a glue adhesive...

The car goes back to the selling dealer this coming week, and supposedly they finally have the clips in stock.

Dave
Not very encouraging. I have been back 4 times and each time they tell me it's fixed but it is unchanged. They now are telling me that they have a relacment panel which they believe will "match". I suspect the real issue here is they damagedsome idden pieceand they don't want tio replace they entire dash. After all this I'm not sure I want them to touch anythng else.
Good luck with yours. I'll let you know how miine turns out.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

These types of interior detail things seem to be what confounds dealers the most. I believe the typical mechanics are used to dealing with the engines and mechanical components and, thus, are heavy handed when it comes to carefully dealing with things like interior trim. This happened to me with a BMW some years ago when they had to repair/replace one of the gauges and, when I got the car back, the instrument panel was very obviously crooked and misinstalled.

As I write, my car is back at the dealer after a repair to the convertible top hydraulics resulted in loss of function of the navigation screen (no clock, no map, just black). Obviously there is some plug somewhere that was not reconnected and they now have to again remove rear seats and other interior parts to track the connections.

Oh well.

Doug

Old 10-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Veteran member

Sorry about that Doug. Did you get a loaner car? My vert is going in today for the hydraulics as well. Let's hope all my electronics are working when she comes back...think i'll sit there and try everything before I leave the dealer.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: h20boy

Sorry about that Doug. Did you get a loaner car? My vert is going in today for the hydraulics as well. Let's hope all my electronics are working when she comes back...think i'll sit there and try everything before I leave the dealer.
No, they gave me a lift to work. I am not pushing things since the dealer was able to get the hydraulic hose replacement done under the SE warranty and it is not entirely clear that would have been the case if the adviser had not pushed a bit. Since this is my first servicing of the car at this dealer (or anywhere else for that matter), I feel it is reasonable to give them the benefit of the doubt this time. Are you getting the hydraulics done under warranty or will there be a charge?

Doug

Old 10-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Veteran member

Doug, my work is all warranty. Getting a loaner car also. The service guy is getting my 'rams' replaced as well...first time I have heard of that part, but he says they may be getting ready to go. Of course, he tells me 'the lines are blown already' so we get our stories straight. <wink wink>

Old 10-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: h20boy

Doug, my work is all warranty. Getting a loaner car also. The service guy is getting my 'rams' replaced as well...first time I have heard of that part, but he says they may be getting ready to go. Of course, he tells me 'the lines are blown already' so we get our stories straight. <wink wink>
That's great. I would have thought that a 2003 would be at or near the end of even the SE warranty. Was there any doubt in your case (my adviser made it sound like it was not exactly a slam-dunk to get the hoses covered). I have never heard of rams on a car unless you are talking about a Dodge Ram truck What are these in terms of the XKR?

Doug

Old 10-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Veteran member

Not sure, maybe the actual part that acts like a strut/piston that does all the work? My service guy told me that one of the two were leaking, and is getting both replaced. thankfully, i've got SE coverage until March 2009.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, the rams are the two "struts" that lower and raise the top.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Just thought I would update on my dash fix. So after the 4th time to the dealership for getting the upper dash properly mounted I got the car back and the dash was finally affixed. It was nice and snugly mounted. It's not 100% lined up to the other pieces of dash (the center console) but I think it was one of those things only I would notice.

So happy that this was finally fixed I left the dealership. The first time I stopped the car I go to toss my sunglasses in the sunglass box, and the whole left side of the lower dash is now broken or improperly installed. Since it looks proper until you push on it I am guessing that there must be some plastic alignment pin (or pins) that they broke.

Then the next day I went to fill up with gas and was disgusted to find out that when they finally refitted the dash they failed to reconnect the trip computer wires in the dash.

I contacted the service manager of the dealer ship after discovering both issues. This is the third time it's been to the dealership, with the dealership creating more problems out of trying to fix something simple. The dealership has no response.

I now havefour major issues with the selling dealership regarding their incompetence and negligence, and have had to get Jaguar of North America involved.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:17 PM

Update on my dash problem. Well I just left the dealership for the 7th time after they declared it was fixed. It is not. The original problem of the lower left corner being loose and sticking out has been corrected but now the upper right corner is sticking out and just as loose as the original problem. I'm really angry about this since I'm sure the tech knew it was loose and tried to pass it off as fixed. I told the dealer that this was unacceptable and asked what it would take to actually get it fixed. They apologized profusely but basicallyonly invited me to come back for the 8th time. I'm beginning to think this is an endurance test to see if I will just give up. They have the wrong guy. I will not stop until they either fix it or tell me to get lost.
This makes me wonder if I can trust them to do serious repairs.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

JESUS NO WONDER EPOPLE HATE DEALERSHIPS WITH CRAPPY ASSSED WORK LIKE THAT, I WOULD TOO. GUES THATS WHY I HAVE SO MANY REPEAT CUSTOMERS, I TALK TO THEM, AND MAKE SURE THAT WHAT THEY WANT DONE GETS DONE AND IF A TRIAL AND ERROR FIX LIKE WHEN I GO TO THE DOCTOR AT LEAST WE HAVE THAT UNDERSTANDING UPFRONT. AND NO MY EXPERIENCE IS ITS ABOUT INTEGRITY AND CHARECTOR FOR A PROPER WELL DONE REPAIR. WE'RE NO MIRACLE WORKERS BUT I TAKE BETTER CARE OF MY CUSTOMERS CARSMOST OF THEM DO.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: o2manyfish

I now havefour major issues with the selling dealership regarding their incompetence and negligence, and have had to get Jaguar of North America involved.
For the sake of warning others, would you mind disclosing what dealership you are wrestling with?

Doug

Quick Reply: Wood dash trim problem