XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xk8 1998 tensioner replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default xk8 1998 tensioner replacement

Hello all,My jaguar xk8 1998 has had timing chain rattle on start up for seven years,As soon as i rev it ,it goes away,is this ok,I have read alot of threads on replacing old tensioners,can they just be poped out without removing all the chains ,n just removing the cover,thanks all

Old 10-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by louismacrides
Hello all,My jaguar xk8 1998 has had timing chain rattle on start up for seven years,As soon as i rev it ,it goes away,is this ok,I have read alot of threads on replacing old tensioners,can they just be poped out without removing all the chains ,n just removing the cover,thanks all
In a word, Yes. The Secondary Tensioners can be replaced without removing the chains.

The factory method requires a Camshaft Clamp Tool.

Another method does not require the tool. It uses a Cable Tie to hold the Chain in position on the Sprocket while the Camshaft is un-bolted and re-positioned to enable access to the Tensioner. The Sprocket remains bolted to the Camshaft.

Last edited by Paul Pavlik; 10-08-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi
well if the chains have been rattling for seven years, youve been very lucky. even if they dont rattle they can simply give up with no warning.

Everyone will advise you to replace the tensioners as soon as possible. very simple to do, as long as you read up on the topic. the zip tie method is easy as long as timing is correct, if the timing is out then the proper timing tools will be required.

If you can use the zip tie method, removal of the camshaft can be much easier if the camshaft is rotated to the point when all the valves are closed at the same time. this removes all the stress on the camshaft and it simply lifts out easier.

Best Wishes
Steveeasy

Old 10-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

The following link will take you through the process of replacing the upper tensioners which are most critical. Doing this will defuse your grenade under the hood. If it goes off it will cost you between 8 and 10,000 dollars. The link covers my doing the work on my 2000 XK8. It also has solutions to get you through some of the hard spots. Use care and proper tools such as a good 1/4 inch socket set and a good torque wrench. Other than that no special tools are required since I use the zip tie method and lifted the exhaust cam to get clearance for tensioner removal.

I wouldn't even start your car until you complete this job. With the next start it could go boom.

How many miles do you have on this car? I did this with only 40,000 miles on the clock.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ics-how-52653/

Old 10-09-2012, 08:39 AM

Hello all really apreciate advice,,does front cover have to come off or just camshaft covers,if not,will i need to remove radiator and water pump,kind regards louis

Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

If you are just doing the upper secondary tensioners, only the cam covers need to be removed.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:29 AM

great news,ps the mileage is 65k,she runs lovely,ive never done over 100 in her,she is a convertable,think i need puller ,i have torque wrench,ive been watching you tube on how to do it,there all xjs but im guessing very similar job

Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 AM

Hello,can you tell me the torque and if there is a torque sequence for the cam caps please,kind regards louis

Old 10-10-2012, 12:56 PM

Hello all new twist the noise i thought was chains is the right side hydrolic tappets ,any advice please

Old 10-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

You do not have hydraulic tappets. The cams act directly. It may be you have excessive clearance on one or more valves, but that does not seem too likely. The VVT can also cause a similar sound. Removing the valve cover and checking the clearance of the valves is not difficult. You should probably be replacing the secondary tensioners, and you can check valve clearance then.
RJ____________
97 XK8 86K mi

Old 10-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

get yourself a 10mm swivel socket that is 1/4" drive. This will help you greatly when removing the bottom valve cover bolts next the wheel well at the fire wall.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:50 AM

Hello ,thankyou for replies,what is a vvt,thanks for the tip on that bolt,i have ordered upper tensioners,my gut tells me the noise might be coming from the right tensioner,when i remove cover bet i find something,how do u set valves on a xk8 ,how do i get to them,i will check forum now n try n find out,ps she runs lovely sometimes at speep water coolent low light comes on but them goes out,when i slow ,usually at 90 mph but water is ok

Old 10-11-2012, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

You need to take some time to download the factory repair manual JTIS21 using the sticky at the top of the forum page. Also go through the DIY sticky which includes tensioner replacement:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-data-29800/
Also check jagrepair.com for many helpful articles.
RJ______________
97 XK8 86K mi

Old 10-11-2012, 07:37 AM

hello thanyou yes i will do that,Latest is the upper tensioners came today so i decided i wud do the ziptie method ,removed CAM cover and i think theses are the second generation type ,after very close inspection there are no cracks and cam looks good ,my big decision is do i swap them or do i leave them,i will decide after lunch ,

Old 10-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

If they are second generation change them, no question.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by louismacrides
hello thanyou yes i will do that,Latest is the upper tensioners came today so i decided i wud do the ziptie method ,removed CAM cover and i think theses are the second generation type ,after very close inspection there are no cracks and cam looks good ,my big decision is do i swap them or do i leave them,i will decide after lunch ,
If you reviewed my thread that I gave you in my earlier posting you will see that the tensioners looked fine when installed. After removal you can see the cracks starting in both just above the notch in the side. If you have them put them in being sure you have the correct length bolts as the old ones are too long. Be sure to use correct torque values. There was an XK8 that came into the shop near where I live with 74,000 miles with tensioner failure. It cost him #8,500 to fix it. The biggest load on the tensioners is not at high speed but at start up. That is when most fail.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

If you are in there I'd be doing the Water Pump, Serpentine belt tensioners/Pullies, T-stat metal housing upgrade.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi,
The best tip to give you is to read the guidance in threads several times. If you do this then you will understand the key points.

to highlight some of them.

removing fuel relay before starting project.

checking the timing is correct by checking the cam flats.

checking chains for stretch

rotating the cam till all valves are closed (this makes the camshafts easier to remove if useing zip tie method).

only torque the cam covers to recommended settings or the covers will leak.

priming new tensioners before starting engine

all the above are helpful points to consider when reading methods to replace tensioners. very easy job, but not to be rushed. Get it wrong and it will be expensive.

Best wishes

Stephen

Old 10-11-2012, 12:07 PM

thankyou everyone for replies,or grat advice,In the end after very close inspection i decided to put that side back together as is,tomorow i will take apart other side{left side}and look for any damage or ware,after carefully listening to my noise ive realised its not chain noise as originally thought,main thing on my mind is making surs there is no obvious damage to upper tensioners and no ware on cam or chain,i understand that when tensioners are in place they can hide damage,i no there are risks in no replacing the tensioners with metal ones asap,you have all given me the best advice on how to do upper and lower tensioners so i understand how to do riptie method very clearly,i will decide tomorow on weather i want to risk unbolting exhaust cams and lifting them a bit,if there is any damage to the other tensioner i will do both upper one tomorow,i thouroughly enjoyed taking one side apart today and gave everything a good clean n check whilst i was there and cleaned air filter n checked spark plugs and cleaned throttle body whilst i was there,doing other side i will learn lots as well,thanks all

Old 10-11-2012, 12:11 PM

ps what is torque wrench setting for cam caps and how go i prime tensioner,ware exactly is fuel relay,thanks

Quick Reply: xk8 1998 tensioner replacement