Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 Convertible (2000) rear quarter window regulator

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 06:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK8 Convertible (2000) rear quarter window regulator

Hello from Germany,

I am happy to be an active member of jaguarforums.com now, after I already found some very good and helpful information in this forum. Finally I failed to find some remedy for my current challenge with my XK8 Convertible. By the way, my user name 'Katzenfieber' means 'cat fever' or 'cat temperature' in case someone wonders about the strange user name.

The wires and drive wheel of both rear quarter window regulators have been broken and I managed to repair it on both sides using new wires and new drive wheels. The plastic (or rubber) part underneath the drive wheel was also almost evaporated and I placed a big metal washer in the right outer diameter and the right outer and inner diameter. This is doingfine. After repair both wires had a perfect tension (not too tight, not too slack) due to the springs in the clip. I tested the repaired regulator outside the car body, connecting the regulator with the proper power line, and it did well going up and down when opening and closing the roof, carriage stopping at the respective stop collar on top and bottom of the regulator.

But what I realized is that the power of the Motor at the end of the movement (up or down) is so strong, that the cable is squeezing the spring and thus gives the approximately 20 to 25 mm clearance to the other cable which is thus getting a bit too slack and thus may too easily come off the white divert pulleys on top or bottom of the regulator. Would one of you have an idea how I could resolve this challenge?

Thanks alot for your help and support.
Katzenfieber

KatzenfieberView Public ProfileFind all posts by KatzenfieberAdd Katzenfieber to Your Contacts
Today, 12:01 PM

Old 05-12-2017, 03:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick additional information: The Problem does not occur when the carriage is travelling, only when it arrives at the upper or lower stop collar. Then the spring is compressed and stays compressed even after the motor switched off. As both wires are connected to the same drive wheel, the other wire is getting slack.

Hope this clarifies my challange a bit. Thanks.

Katzenfieber