XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 Convertible Top Hydraulic Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Stephen,

Lots written on this subject. Here is the installation writeup...

http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairJ...esRelValve.htm

Jack

Old 01-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

This is the pictorial you are probably referring to for the full lines replacement.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...&postcount=213

Old 01-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalerro
I read last week a extreemly detailed process of how to fix the wonderful leaking hydraulic fluid issue. It had pictures and the works. Can someone refer me to his link. Proud owner that is not happy with Jaguar customer service department in this area. Not very mechanically inclined but I think I can follow the directions.

Thanks for the help.

Stephen
Stephen,

The link from Test Point is a good pictorial on how to replace the roof hose. If you need additional information relating to the hose failure, cause of the failure, manual operation, relief valve you can go to my page www.jagrepair.com/ it is a bit busy but will have all the information you need related to the roof operation.

Last edited by Gus; 06-26-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey Gus. Great job and great documentation. I have an 05 XKR . I live in seattle. wa(southern tip of Alaska). I think I would like to find the pressure relief kit that you installed. Unless... since it's so cold here, I don't need one. What do you think?
Thanks in advance

Old 01-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Do you need the pressure relief valve? A very good question and I will try to answer it as best I can. Many say that the hose fails in areas of warm temperatures others say it is a combination of use and temperature and I say temperature is a contributing factor and use is also a factor to the shorter life of the hose but the main cause is the excessive pressure of the pump and the incompatibility of the remaining equipment “hoses, roof latch and lift (ram) seals”. The 1600 psi output of the pump is in my opinion excessive. My limited skills in hydraulics required me to teamed up with an expert Walt who design and develop the pressure relief system. I must say it became more obvious when we began seeing seals on the latch and rams leaking and being pushed out from the pressure. Walt designed the relief to take the pressure down to 1000 psi +/- a few that so far has shown to be a fix. I hope that answers your question. One thing you must keep in mind is that the pressure relief valve will not prevent an already stressed system from failing it may however, extend the life of what you have. All in all a good investment.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:23 AM

Gus: That is exactly what I thought you would say. Do you have a link for the Kit?

Old 01-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I will send you a link for the valve but you can go to my page and find all of my research on the roof operating system from the Pressure relief valve, replacement hose, hose evaluation and roof system operating procedures along with Hyd fluid replacement. Should you have additional questions please let me know. And yes I know it is hard to find things, I hope to correct it soon.
http://http://jagrepair.com/HydPressureReliefValve.htm

Last edited by Gus; 06-26-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:20 AM

Thanks again Gus . If you have a direct link for the PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE KIT, my e-mail is cohibarandy@hotmail.com.
Regards

Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cohibarandy
If you have a direct link for the PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE KIT

http://www.lsi-controls.com/JagKit.htm

Old 07-25-2011, 06:24 AM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

I know this thread may be old *6 months since the last post) but I wasn't sure where to put this. I have been avidly reading this forum for the last few months, starting just before I purchased my 2004 XK8 convertible. The forum has been invaluable! I am sure I don't need to say this, but will: There is so much GREAT information, this truly is a great community!

My post though is to offer my experience with my top latch hoses. When I purchased my car, I checked with the local dealer, who told me they had replaced the top latch hoses on this car before, so I thought I was in the clear. As it turns out, they installed the short hose kit, which as you know was ultimately discontinued by Jaguar due to leaking fitting on the original hoses where they install the compression fittings. This it turns out was where my leak was, as the original hoses deteriorated and these fittling were leaking. I tried contacting Chic at Colliflower as mentioned on Gus's great website to purchase the upgraded hoses kit, but received no response. I then purchased from the dealer a Jaguar hose kit. It is no doubt "better" quality than the orgininal, hopefully, it will last. I proceeded to replace the hoses following Gus's procedure on his site, which was a HUGE help. The entire job took me 5 1/2 hours. I lost about 1/2 hour trying to figure out which 2 hoses were the correct ones on the pump, and then found a post from Gus somewhere that said that when in the trunk and you pull off the covering over the pump assy. and look at the mounted pump, you are looking at the 2 hoses that go to the roof. I wish I knew that before starting. Also, as I mentioned, the dealership had previously installed the short hose kit that ends near the fuse panel on the drivers side above the kick panel. I had checked the condition of these hoses at the latch (previously) and they were perfect, so, I chose to loop together all of the excess new hose and hide it behind the kick panel, and connect the new hose ends to the dealer installed repair kit ends (which are the factory ends, not the compression fitting ends). This way, if I ever need to, I can pull the short repair kit, and run the new hoses all the way to the latch. Again, THANK YOU to EVERYONE who posts, your information is invaluable!!!

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (03-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2011, 06:35 AM

oh, sorry, I forgot a couple of things. First, my top was up during the installation process, and I suppose it would have been easier if it were down so that I could move around a bit easier insue the car, however, I chose not to try to lower the roof as did Gus (he explained on his site how he used tie down straps), and I was able to eliminate the need to pull the driver side speaker trim panel, and speaker, saving a little time at least. And I did have the hoses at the pump reversed, which resulted in the latch being up durring the rasing of the roof operation, but just before the roof gets to the latch, the claw would lower just enough to not allow it to mesh with the roof. This confused me, as I expected that if the hoses were reversed, then the claw would have operated in "opposite" manner from normal, but that was not the case.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Good to know that you were successful in replacing the hoses. I am not sure what the problem was in getting the hoses from Chic other than he prefers e-mail contact.

Kudos to you!

Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 AM

Uodate: Chic did reply to me today regarding the updated hoses. He was on vacation last week. I wouldn't want to steer anyone away from the updated hoses, I would have purchased them if I was able to wait.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveJacks
Uodate: Chic did reply to me today regarding the updated hoses. He was on vacation last week. I wouldn't want to steer anyone away from the updated hoses, I would have purchased them if I was able to wait.
I am in the UK and not used to posting
I have had the same problem after sorting out chain adjusters - not related except it happened the same day - I am having a few local firms quote for making up the line - its coming in at around £120 all in - but what I really need is a parts list - is there any body that can help
And yes the fluid emptied on the centre console!
Also the rear quarter lights are down - i understand that this may be a switching problem - and that it may be possible to remove the 4 small black relays behind the battery in the boot (Trunk) and tyhen power them up by bypassing the relay - on pin 3? - Steve good instructions with pictures!

Old 06-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Depends on what information n you need. This link to my page should help Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource As for the rear windows they will not go up until the roof rams are fully extended and the roof is locked in. You can close the windows by jumping the relay but your roof is not locked closed and with the windows up the roof with simple road vibration could cause damage to all 4 windows and regulators.

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (03-25-2017)
Old 06-26-2012, 04:38 PM

Gus,

I used the link to LSI and their page for the hydraulic upgrade kit says this item is no longer available. It's to late for me to call them today. Had you heard that they were discontinuing the kit?

Do you know them well enough that they might give us the specifications or manufacturer for the hydraulic valve they were using so we can source it elsewhere?

Any info you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
JimGXKR

Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts
Old 06-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Walt and I worked together many times and had a great deal of dialogue over the hoses and valve. Yes Walt (LSI) will not be distributing it but I am looking to take it over. I will give an update when I can work this out.

Originally Posted by JimGXKR
Gus,

I used the link to LSI and their page for the hydraulic upgrade kit says this item is no longer available. It's to late for me to call them today. Had you heard that they were discontinuing the kit?

Do you know them well enough that they might give us the specifications or manufacturer for the hydraulic valve they were using so we can source it elsewhere?

Any info you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
JimGXKR

Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 PM

Thanks Gus.
I did a search and did not come up with the shopping list thread.

I look forward to you putting together a kit as this is something I want to do ASAP.

JimG

Quick Reply: XK8 Convertible Top Hydraulic Issue