Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xk8 front suspension shims

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,296 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Ungn
Not too many people in the US are driving their X100's on crowned country 2 lanes.
Jeff's in NZ, but I expect the same applies. That's a motorway here

Old 03-11-2020, 03:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by White Bear
Choir,
I did the same thing and dropped all my caster shims when I replaced my top bushings, and not knowing any better divided up the shims equally and reinstalled them with the new bushings.

When test driving after completing the re bushing of the front suspension the car tracked poorly, was not stable on the straight ahead, would follow any deviation in the road and in short felt very unstable. I realized the caster angle was the problem and a little research uncovered the diagram shown above by GGG.

To all intents and purposes there is no real down side to a high caster angle in vehicle with power steering, all it will do make it more stable in the straight ahead position. I decided to maximize the caster angle, I disassembled the top arm, and rearranged the shims placing them so I had the maximum caster angle. Now when I test drove it the car was very stable, tracked straight ahead, and did not follow any deviations in the road, and as time went on I found it was more relaxing to drive over long distances because it was so stable.

Never the less I had the whole front end realigned because of all the work I'd done in that area. When I reviewed the results I was surprised to find the caster angle was still not at the maximum allowable.

All the above is by way of an explanation because I don't think using the shims alone, you can exceed the allowable caster angle.
Regards,
White Bear.
Not to revive an old post but.. do you remember the way you placed your shims? I’d like to maximize my camber adjustment as much as possible (with just using the shims).

thanks
mav

Old 03-11-2020, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,253 Likes on 688 Posts
Old 03-11-2020, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ghlight=Washer

See White Bears post #10. Includes shim placement from factory. As well as shim sizes (allows you to use other washers in a jam)

John

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (03-13-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Johnken
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ghlight=Washer

See White Bears post #10. Includes shim placement from factory. As well as shim sizes (allows you to use other washers in a jam)

John
i think ill try it his way. I just want a smooth ride. I didnt think that the placement of each washer was so important. But if you can notice a pretty big change, its worth a try.

thabks
mav

Old 03-18-2020, 11:26 PM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

hey mav,

how did it turn out/ influence the steering ?

mny thx,

max

Old 04-13-2023, 08:43 AM
Default shim thickness

Hello.
I have a 2004 xk8 bought used
. I have disassembled the front suspension to change the supports of the springs (rubber in poor condition). On my xk8, there are two thick and two thin washers on the fulcrum of the upper wishbone.
The distribution that came was symmetrical (thin and thick front and back on both sides).
But looking at the manual (R.O.W.) of 2011, in the left front part it puts two thick washers and in the rear part one thick and one thin.
Can someone tell me if it is an error in the manual and on the front left it should say thick and thin. Or in my xk8 they have come "customized".
I have also thought of placing them as in the U.K, but changing the right side for the left.
Consulted the alignment service, they have told me that the machine asks them to enter if the car has specifications of N. America, U.K. or Rest of the World. I mention it, because there must be some difference. In addition, the technician was very surprised that the washers were not symmetrical.

Old 04-13-2023, 08:48 AM

Sorry, I have not pasted the text in English

I have a 2004 xk8 bought second hand. I have disassembled the front suspension to change the supports of the springs (rubber in poor condition). On my xk8, there are two thick and two thin washers on the fulcrum of the upper wishbone
The distribution that came was symmetrical (thin and thick front and back on both sides).
But looking at the manual (R.O.W.) of 2011, in the left front part it puts two thick washers and in the rear part one thick and one thin.
Can someone tell me if it is an error in the manual and on the front left it should say thick and thin. Or in my xk8 they have come "customized".
I have also thought of placing them as in the U.K, but changing the right side for the left.
Consulted the alignment service, they have told me that the machine asks them to enter if the car has specifications of N. America, U.K. or Rest of the World. I mention it, because there must be some difference. In addition, the technician was very surprised that the washers were not symmetrical.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by MaxTorq
hey mav,

how did it turn out/ influence the steering ?

mny thx,

max
honestly I can’t really tell. I think it stiffen it up a bit. I don’t drive it much. Think I’ve only put 1-3k miles on it since I’ve done it

Old 04-13-2023, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by jhuertas
Sorry, I have not pasted the text in English

I have a 2004 xk8 bought second hand. I have disassembled the front suspension to change the supports of the springs (rubber in poor condition). On my xk8, there are two thick and two thin washers on the fulcrum of the upper wishbone
I’d just do it the way you found it. If it road fine then it’s fine. I don’t understand why they have differences based on where you live unless they changed the angles of the suspension based on what part of the world you bought the jag. Best thing is go off the manual and go get it aligned. They can tell you pretty quick if it’s in line or outta wack

Old 04-13-2023, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Maverick Schroeder
I’d just do it the way you found it. If it road fine then it’s fine. I don’t understand why they have differences based on where you live unless they changed the angles of the suspension based on what part of the world you bought the jag. Best thing is go off the manual and go get it aligned. They can tell you pretty quick if it’s in line or outta wack
Thank you.
That's what I thought. Since I think this is an error in the manual (it seems logical that all vehicles come with four washers on each side, two thick and two thin), I'm going to mount them as I found them (which would match the manual if there was a typo in R.O.W.)

Old 04-13-2023, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,128 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by jhuertas
Thank you.
That's what I thought. Since I think this is an error in the manual (it seems logical that all vehicles come with four washers on each side, two thick and two thin), I'm going to mount them as I found them (which would match the manual if there was a typo in R.O.W.)
I think you are good to go, definitely a typo.

Old 04-14-2023, 05:47 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Just another data point, my shims were symmetrical. US spec car and I don’t think the suspension had been touched. I reassembled the same.

Old 04-15-2023, 02:11 AM
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

These shims only control the caster angle, and even then, not by much. It is good advice to get an alignment after any suspending work.