XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XK8 fuel pump replacement

I need to replace the fuel pump on a 2000 Xk8 convertible. The tank doesn't have straps. How do you get the fuel pump/tank out?

Last edited by GGG; 04-23-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts
Default RE: Xk8 fuel pump replacement

AT A SHOP, SERIOUSLY THE HARDESS APRT IS GETTING THE FUEL LINES DISCONNECTED FROM THE TANK UNDER THE CAR ABOVE THE DIFFERENTIAL, AND ON THE ONES WITHOUT STRAPS YOU REMOVE THE METAL PANEL THAT HOLDS IT IN PLACE AND MOVE OUT INTO THE TRUNK TO ALLOW ACCESS TO THE TOP EVAP LOSS CAP AND OPENING. AND YOU DID RUN THE TANK DOWN TO EMPTY BELOW YOU LET THE PUMP GO BAD DIDNT YOU ?

Old 10-04-2008, 12:14 PM

it has a little ove 1/4 tank. Is the panel that has to be removed under the car, or under the convertible top?

The following users liked this post:
Repoman1 (01-15-2012)
Old 10-04-2008, 12:17 PM

ITS THE FORWARD PART OF THE TRUNK, PULL OUT ALL 3 TRUNK LINERS,LEFT, RIGHT AND CENTER, ITS THE CENTER ON THAT COVERS THE TANK, AND PANEL

Old 10-04-2008, 12:25 PM

I've pulled all the trunk panels and I'm looking at the tank. The repair manual pictures straps holding the tank in, but I think that is for the coupe only (mine is a convertible). I've found a reference to removing a panel on the convertible model, but I don't see where it is... Is it behind the rear seats?

Old 10-04-2008, 12:57 PM

all panels are off, no straps on this tank.....

Old 10-04-2008, 01:08 PM

IT IS A LARGE METAL PANEL THAT IS HELD IN WITH 5 10MM BOLTS, 3 AT THE TOP AND 2 AT EACH CORNER OF THE BOTTOM ON SMALL BRACKETS. TAKE ALL 5 BOLTS OUT TO REMOVE PANEL, I JUST DID ONE YESTURDAY SO ITS FRESH IN MY MIND. ITS A LARGE METAL PANEL THE SIZE OF THE FUEL TANK WITH THE ELECTRICAL SENDER WIRES THROUGH THE HOLE IN THE MIDDLE, REMOVE THESE BEFORE YOU UNBOLT THE PANEL, BUT ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS? THE FIRSAT THING TO DO IS GET THE LINES OUT OF THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK WITH DISCONNECT TOOLS FROM AUTO PARTS STORE. LISLE MAKES A SET AND YOU SHOULD USE THE SMALLEST ONE, THEYRE USUALLY WHITE ON A BLACK PLASTIC PEG HOLDER. IF YOU CANT GET THE LINES UNDONE, FORGET THE REST AND HAVE IT DONE AT A SHOP. IF YOU GET THEM THE REST IS EASY

Old 10-04-2008, 01:49 PM

I've had the 5 bolt plate off the whole time, but there are no straps or any fasteners visible (from the trunk/boot) on the tank holding it in. I have the CD rom repair manual and it says straps are for the coupe only. I verified that I had a good ground and 12V at the white connector on the tank going to the pump (when the fuel pump relay closes) so either the pump is bad or it came unplugged in the tank.Was the one you did yesterday a convertible? Are the tanks different for a 2000 or just convertibles? I didn't want to pull the rear seat to look for bolts until I got some info. I have tools for the banjo fittings, disconnecting the lines and filler tube are no problem, I just can't see whatholds the tank in...

Old 10-04-2008, 03:53 PM

AT THIS POINT WHAT IS HOLDING THE TANK IN IS.............NOTHING, ITS READY TO COME OUT IF YOU HAVE ALL LINES, CONNECTOR AND HOSES DISCONNECTED AND HAVE PULL THE TANK FILL FROM THE BOOT IN THE FENDER. JUST WIGGLE AND PULL DROPPING THE TANK OUT AT AN ANGLE TO THE LEFT ONLY ENOUGH TO ACCESS THE FLANGE WHICH YOU ROTATE BY HITTING THE TAB ON THE INSIDE RING COUNTER CLOCKWISE, LIFT OUT THE EVEP LOSS CAP WHICH IS THE PLASTIC THING ON TOP AND BE CAREFULE NOT TO BREAK OFF ANY OFF THE PLASTIC LINES, ITS $300. THEN UNCLIP THE ECTR CONN FROM IT INSIDE MOVE OUT OF THE WAY, UNDO THE 7MM BOLT THAT HOLDS THE PUMP ASSM IN LIFT IT UP AND REMOVE THE HOSE CLAMP AND HOSE FROM PUMP W/6MM THEN BEND OPEN THE PUMP HOLDER SLIDE OUT THE OLD AND IN WITH NEW AND INSTALL THE NEW PUMP SOCK OR FILTEWR FIRST, THEN BEND THE HOLDER BACK AROUND THE RUBBER THAT HOLDS IT WITH EITHER A VISE OR BIG PLIERS. INSTALLATION IS REVERSE OF REMOVAL, OH AND BEFORE YOU REMOVED THE TANK DISC THE BATTERY AND REMOVE IT, YOU DONT WANT THE METAL TANK TO BECOME A BIG AMP DRAW ON THE POSTS, AND REPLACE THE LINK LEAD IN THE TANK FOR THE PUMP AND INSPECT THE EVAP LOSS CAP FOR ANY BURNING AS THE PUMPS TEND TO PULL TO MANY AMPS WHEN GOING OUT AND MELT OR BURN THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS ANY OTHER QUESTIONS WILL HAVE TO WAIT SINCE IM GOING OUT TO OUR PROPERTY IN THE COUNTRY FOR THE WEEKEND... NO INTERNET...THANK GOD

Old 10-12-2008, 09:12 AM

Got the tank out. Changed the pump and fuel sock (pump filter). Found the connector socket burned on the brown wire. I can replace the socket and repair the harness, but what is the black thing located in the middle of the harness?

Old 10-12-2008, 05:30 PM

Spliced a new wire and socket terminal in, she's up and running. The wire gauge and pin size seems under rated for a 20 amp circuit. Has there been much discussion of this in the Jag tech community? are the new models using the same design?

Hate to see melted connectors sitting in a tank of gas with 20 amps of current.... Seems risky....

But the tank is also held in the convertible only by the filler neck, so there are other design questions that beg for an answer.

Do you techs ever talk about these types of issues with the design folks?

Old 10-14-2008, 03:24 PM

^^i worked to get alignment specs changed on the 03 up stype and the 04 up xj needs to be changed too. But we aint no engineers, we just have to clean up after them
and its not that it underated, its more from the pump pulling more amps when going out and one of the main reasons I always replace the link lead if Im going in

Old 04-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Posted on your other entry under "Techs".

Old 08-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 xj8 fuel tank removel

2003 xj8 fuel tank removel I have it loose but.......I cant see or get to the quick disconnects ...what is the trick to it....and how can I remove the fuel from the tank also.....?thanks in advance...Bill

Old 08-13-2010, 07:24 PM

2003 xj8 fuel tank removel does it have to be on a lift to get to quick diconnects on fuel line....bill

Old 08-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bigenginebuilder
2003 xj8 fuel tank removel does it have to be on a lift to get to quick diconnects on fuel line....bill
Sure does help!

Old 08-14-2010, 06:30 AM

take the 8 bolts out drop the rear end im told

Old 08-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I have small arms and hands. I don't drop anything. I reach up and use the release tool.

Quick Reply: XK8 fuel pump replacement