XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 Spray Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK8 Spray Diagram

Does anybody know if there is a diagram showing where to inject rust prevention wax into the cavities on an XK8?

Old 02-20-2019, 05:39 PM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

i do not have a diagram but have done the job myself. in a few days i will list the access points. this car is actually not that difficult and there are some creative solutions.

there are two schools of thought regarding rust proofing, the permanent and the regularly applied. i am in the latter as the protection is renewed. good for two reasons, the product is renewed and the critical areas are being observed more often. there is also concern that a semi solid or sticky product can seal drain holes and create its own problems.

list of suggestions to follow shortly.

best protection is to never use the car on salted roads. however, driving around beach areas and near the coasts or worse where there is salt in the air such as Scotland, areas of the California coast, Long Island NY beaches, etc. is probably just as bad if not worse. do not let the warmer temperatures fool you. it is in the air getting into every nook and cranny. the salt crystallizes on my windshield when driving home on a summer night as the setting sun brings in the sea mist.

because of the above i purposely take the car out for a drive in rainstorms or at least park it outside when i know it is going to rain. many garage queens that are driven to beach only when it is nice just to get put away develop pitting and rust as they never get wet enough to wash off the salts present in the air. the owners just lightly wash them. nothing beats higher speed with clean rain washing the underside.

Last edited by CorStevens; 02-20-2019 at 05:45 PM. Reason: additions
The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,565 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteHat
".......... i purposely take the car out for a drive in rainstorms or at least park it outside when i know it is going to rain. many garage queens that are driven to beach only when it is nice just to get put away develop pitting and rust as they never get wet enough to wash off the salts present in the air. the owners just lightly wash them. nothing beats higher speed with clean rain washing the underside.
^^^^^^^^^^^ +1

Along those same lines, from a recent post:

In the mid 1970's I lived in South Padre Island, Texas for about two years. My house was less than a block from the surf .

I would take my classic to a special car wash twice a week. It had a drive thru wash that would spray water all over the underside of the car to wash off the salt residue. Forty years later that car still has the original body panels and floor pan. It's amazing how a little preventative maintenance will stop big problems from ever happening.

that special car wash was manly for the convenience of the tourists, but the locals who used it twice a week all had cars with nrust or minimal rust. Those who didn't take advantage of the undercarriage wash soon had rot everywhere.

Z.

Last edited by zray; 02-21-2019 at 05:26 AM.
CorStevens (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 09:18 AM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

I also subscribe the regularly reapplied school of rust proofing. My XK8 gets stored for winter but my other vehicles do not. In Nfld from November to late April we are driving in a briny slush. You car tell which cars have been treated yearly with Rust Check, Rust Block , Krown, Corrosion Free or similar products because they are over 5 years old and have no holes in them

CorStevens (02-21-2019)