XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry XK8 will not start

Hello fellow Jag owners. My car was hit on the front passenger side, and shortly after the repairs were done, the "engine coolant low" warning appeared and before I had a chance to fill it, one day running errands, the car suddenly just wouldn't start. No steam, just wouldn't turn over. I was watching the gauge and it did not read hot. So AAA looked at it and the radiator hose had blown off (splattered coolant was everywhere) and also the c-clamp on the vacuum hose was loose. The AAA guy said "Wow, whoever fixed your car didn't know how to put it back together."
After trying lots of water, the car still wouldn't start, so I had it towed to the original repair shop. They are now telling me that this has nothing to do with the accident. How can this be? Is it just a coincidence?
They say that it may be the thermostat housing, or it may have a crack, or something like that. I am a girly girl and know nothing about cars. I'm educated, just not about engines. The guy also tried to tell me that he noticed leaking coolant when the car was first brought in, and that he told me to get that looked at. What???? No, he didn't.
He also said they never even touched the radiator or the hose. I find this hard to believe, since there was soooo much damage to the front of my vehicle.
They want to move it to a different auto mechanic shop and do a compression test.
So my first question is, why was the vacuum hose not clamped? Can it just come loose? Secondly, could this just be a coincidence? Then, does anyone have any ideas about what is going on with my Jag? It's a beautiful 2001 with only 50k miles.
Thanks!

Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there Jetzmom, welcome aboard Jaguarforums, great to have you with us .........

Be sure to check out the regional area for like minded members in your area / techs / meets etc

So sorry to hear about your issues with your car. I'm moving this post into the XK8 section soyou can get better responses to your urgent enquiry.....I'm sure the guys will give you some good advice........Good luck

There really are some amazing and friendly guys here....you're in really good company to discuss anything Jag related or have a few laughs!

A really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun
I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features

Jump on in and enjoy

Old 01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Jetzmom, I've seen the same thing happen to my wife. Mechanics and sales people etc. will give her the run-a-round. I show up and everything changes. Don't confront these people alone. Bring a male friend or relative with you, the bigger the better. It would help if you can find a forum member in your area for support. Jack

The following users liked this post:
JetzMom (01-12-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome Aboard- Sorry to hear about the mishap with the car,,, Obviously many things can happen to a vehicle in a crash and not everything is visible...

I would have a few questions though:

1. What day did you pick it up after the repairs and HOW LONG till you had the issue? Thought being that if it was a day or two then call the Insurance company and explain that there is more damage to the vehicle then they first thought,,, They should help you. and be FIRM...

2. Would be do you have any pictures of the damage including the engine compartment just after the accident...

3. Do you have a regular maintenance guy or dealer that can vouch for recent service,,, stating that it was all perfect and not loose ,old, or broken before the accident.

4. Finally go to another body shop explain the damage and ask if in repairing it would HIS SHOP loosen any cooling lines or remove the radiator to make the repairs...

Let us know how it goes and post the pics so maybe we can see something useful...

Old 01-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Normally there is an itemized estimate that details the damage by the insurance adjuster after an accident. It might have been done by the insurance company or the shop, but it should exist and you should be able to get a copy of it. It likely will be easier to get it from the insurance company if you are already at odds with the shop.

This should give you the facts to work with.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Wink

Admin

Amazing what fluttering eyelashes can do!

Cheers Al

Last edited by Alag; 01-11-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Since I don't know the extent of your cars front damage I cannot say if the hoses were (or needed to be ) removed or not. One thing I can say is that as an independent Jag tech I have seen several lower radiator hoses blow off the thermostat housing. The reason is the housing is plastic and disintigrates over time, and the lip that keeps the hose from sliding off disappears.