Is an XK8 or XKR an Exotic

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the older bmw 840/850 was a exotic in my opinion

Also awesome car to drive.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

In my neck of the woods, if you were a young man in his early twenties just starting a new career, you go out and by yourself a late model 3 series. To people that says "hey look at me, I'm young, I'm hip, I have a little bit of money" and in a couple years they either upgrade to a 5, 6 or 7 series and/or throw on a "M" upgrade. I consider them entry-level exotics because they aren't timeless. Rarely will they meet my definition of "classic" and as such are only entry-level exotic.

To me a classic car is one that is timeless. Cars that hold their value or even go up in value are classics once they reach a certain age threshold. Some cars meet it on age, but look like old fashioned pieces of junk (Lincoln Mk III/IV) rather than magnificent pieces of art (Jaguar E-Type)

A true exotic will become a class classic, an entry-level exotic will stay "hip" for a couple of years before going out of style.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So new question, same topic

will the Jaguar XK8/R become a classic? will it go up in value? what years would you say might classify if so? A 65 mustang is a classic, an 80 mustang, not so much, heh how long will it take before people really call it a classic? the standard is usually 25 years, but again, as in the case of the 80 mustang or similar, that doesn't apply, does it?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

the exact same car....if it was higher priced with much lower production numbers, it would be an exotic. the lower price and high production means I got the chance to experience it. I'm happy with that tradeoff

Old 06-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hardmat
the exact same car....if it was higher priced with much lower production numbers, it would be an exotic. the lower price and high production means I got the chance to experience it. I'm happy with that tradeoff
If you look at the production numbers of the 1996 to 2005 Coupes there were 92,000 produced.

My insurance company could not find more than 3 coupes in a 250 mile area which includes Portland Oregon and Seattle Washington and the surrounding areas of each city.

If you go to any car show, count the number of Jaguars that you see. In Washington, there is a place called XXX Root beer. They have informal car shows every weekend. You can't find a Jaguar there either.

The price of a Jaguar, when new, is in the $76,000 and up range. $96,000 to $101,000 for a Vert Jag.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Don't know about all ya'll's (contraction of use guy's) cars but deep in the woods of the Georgia mountains I can assure you that mine is an exotic. Two in the county and the other is a garage queen.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenJewel
If you look at the production numbers of the 1996 to 2005 Coupes there were 92,000 produced.

My insurance company could not find more than 3 coupes in a 250 mile area which includes Portland Oregon and Seattle Washington and the surrounding areas of each city.

If you go to any car show, count the number of Jaguars that you see. In Washington, there is a place called XXX Root beer. They have informal car shows every weekend. You can't find a Jaguar there either.

The price of a Jaguar, when new, is in the $76,000 and up range. $96,000 to $101,000 for a Vert Jag.
This is quite true. Following the initial couple of years where production reached a high of about 12,000, the production dropped way down to less than 5,000 for the last few years. Moreover, in southern California, there was and still is a much greater chance of seeing Mercedes SL and Porsche of any type versus an XK8/XKR. Since the new aluminum series XK have come out I have started seeing more of these (still no rival for the amount of Mercedes or Porsche) but seeing an XK8/XKR is still uncommon. That does not necessarily make it exotic but they are certainly rare.

Doug

Old 07-01-2010, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,260 Likes on 564 Posts

I saw a video on youtube the other day where someone saw one of the newer XK8's driving down the street. They thought it was interesting enough to make a movie of it on their camera phone and post it to youtube. I doubt you'll find anyone making movies of random BMW 3's and posting them to youtube.

By the way... I the one month since I bought my XK8 I've seen a total of three others, and none of them was a coupe.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member

I found the video again. Here it is. Turn up the volume and listen to the comment at the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75E8e...eature=related

Old 07-01-2010, 02:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default coupes seem to be much rarer

I live outside of Fresno (500,000 pop. 5th largest city in CA) and I would say I've seen at least 6 different convertibles in addition to my own in the last year since I became an owner. In fact I met a guy through this forum who has the exact same color convertible as mine, we both had it at the same shop at the same time, just by chance, me fixing a leak, him getting his timing chain upgraded, both of us wondering if buying a jag was a smart move.
Anyhow the point being, some places you'll see plenty of these, others, maybe none for 300 miles, and hard tops even rarer to come by.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I just got back from a trip to Lincoln to visit some friends I went to college with there. Even in a city of roughly 250,000 I didn't see another one while I was there and the response my car drew was incredible. I'd have people drooling at stoplights, thumbs up, "nice car", "wow a jaguar", etc. So, while I still don't consider it an exotic, its fairly close.

Even though it really doesn't have much to do with this topic, here is a quick picture I took on the trip. It's on the East Campus of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. I wanted to take some pictures on City Campus, especially by the stadium, etc, since that is where I spent all my time when I was in school, but it was simply too busy.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have to ask.. it is not. Its a jag, theyre nice cars on the same token as a bmw or benz, but far from an exotic. Exotics have exotic price tags, and universally accepted as so.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:02 PM

There is no arguing that Jaguar XKs are exotics, they have their own category on wreckedexotics.com. As far as I'm concerned, that's as good as "facebook official".

Old 07-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Nissan has its own category their, too. I guess a Nissan 300Z is an exotic, too. Who'd of thunk it?

Old 07-02-2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Nissan has its own category their, too. I guess a Nissan 300Z is an exotic, too. Who'd of thunk it?
I guess so. They couldn't be wrong could they?

Old 07-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

An XKR is an exotic. Theres more Porsches, Ferrari's, Lambo, Bentley Maserati's in my area. Best of all the XKR is better than all those cars too.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Clarkson
If you have to ask.. it is not. Its a jag, theyre nice cars on the same token as a bmw or benz, but far from an exotic. Exotics have exotic price tags, and universally accepted as so.
I guess the Corvette ZR1, at $124,000, made in America, fits the bill along with the Ford's out of production Super Car. F40 look alike.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:54 PM

I guess the Corvette ZR1, at $124,000, made in America, fits the bill along with the Ford's out of production Super Car. F40 look alike.
I think that's fair. Though I'm sure there's some sarcasm in there. The manufacturer shouldn't play too much into it. Obviously names like Porsche and Ferrari immediately get one thinking "exotic" but don't forget Honda, the creater of the Civic and Fit created the NSX. Nissan, creator of the Sentra and Cube, produces the beautiful GTR. Dodge, oh god... well they made the Viper.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

The Corvette is just another Corvette. It's a souped up, fancy Corvette, but 99% of the people who see it on the street are just going to think it's another Corvette.

The Ford GT, on the other hand, is truly an exotic. There were only 4000 built, it's base price was $150K, and the dealers who sold them sold them at a $50K premium over the base price.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fedoraja1
There is no arguing that Jaguar XKs are exotics, they have their own category on wreckedexotics.com. As far as I'm concerned, that's as good as "facebook official".
delusional.

Quick Reply: Is an XK8 or XKR an Exotic