Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR ride height low front end

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:32 AM
RJK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR ride height low front end

So I've read that the XKR has a lower ride height than the standard XK8. Also I've read the threads that talk about the shock mounts being replaced and the front end raises back up but I'm not sure how to determine if mine are bad? Also has anyone changed these themselves and are there any tricks or need to know's when doing this? I don't really have any noise or noticeable slop coming from the front end. I can say though that it appears I have a significant negative camber. I'm ordering the lower control arm eccentric bolts from Jagbits prior to going in for the alignment to take care of this potential issue. My ride height measurements are as follows ( these are approximate as i've taken these with a tape measure from the center of the wheel to the fender):
FL= 14.5
FR= 14.8
RR= 16
RS= 15.9
Thanks for your input.
RJK

Old 08-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

will have to check my JTIS about the R vs 8 ride heights, but you are probably correct. I changed my upper mounts, they were sagging visually (you can see this from the bonnet view). Mine were a little 'offcenter' as well, so they were due.

other than these and what youre doing with the eccentric bolts, only new coils/springs will totally get those camber numbers back into spec. maybe shocks, but not sure about that. If you can handle the slight inner tire wear, don't spend thousands on all the suspension.

Last edited by H20boy; 08-24-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: coils=springs
Old 08-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

JTIS lists the same ride height for the XK8 and XKR; 15.74 inches.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by test point
JTIS lists the same ride height for the XK8 and XKR; 15.74 inches.
is that front testee?

Old 08-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Great new nickname, that one. I thought I talked you out of the "required" front coil spring change, your ride height was OK after mounts, and the correct camber numbers you have now prove that the springs are still just fine?

Old 08-24-2009, 03:33 PM
RJK

Thanks for the advice; a little inner tire wear certainly isn't too bothersome to me at this point. How difficult is it changing out the shock mounts and the bolts (I assume I need only one bolt per side?)

Old 08-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Veteran member

JTO, you did succeed in the talking to. Ride height was still a little low IIRC. Not bad enough for me to spend the bling for the new curlee-ques. you keep lecturing me, I promise to pretend to listen.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Veteran member

RJK, not sure about the eccentric bolts, though I do recall something has to be taken out of the way...'dropping' the steering rack perhaps comes to mind??

Old 08-24-2009, 04:10 PM

Correct about dropping the rack, but it's really not dramatic. Either is the amount of adjustment for camber that the offset bolts will provide.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Veteran member

What are we talking, 0.1 degree perhaps w/ it installed?

Old 08-24-2009, 04:36 PM

I can't answer that, I have not had occasion to install them. The shoulder on the stock bolt is not much larger than the major bolt diameter, so I don't think much offset could be gained. But I'm shooting from the hip, I can't say specifically.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Veteran member

RJK, your assignment, should you accept, is to document the before camber, and post-install camber so we can effectively see what degree (literally) it changes your specs. thank you in advance.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:51 PM

Does that mean the origional bolts will spontaneously combust after his report is complete?

Old 08-24-2009, 04:57 PM
RJK

I will definitely do that and hopefully those stock bolts are off the car before they destruct!

Old 08-24-2009, 05:06 PM

Either way, the Administrator will disavow any knowledge of your action.

Matt, to quote Homer Simpson: "Damn your sparkling wordplay!"

Old 09-12-2009, 05:00 PM
RJK

Update:
So after a few days in an independent shop here's what was done. Both upper shock mounts replaced, both lower shock bushings replaced, sway bar end links front an rear. Where the spring seats on the lower shock there were 3 packers and one insulator per side which I assume was per the mfg. After all I read in this forum about shock mounts I really thought I would have gained some of the ride height back on the vehicle but to my amazement the measurements are almost exactly the same and I gained NOTHING; and yes I know for a fact the parts were installed!

FL-14.5
FR-14.9
RR-16
RL-15.9

I've spoken with two different dealerships here in Houston, Coventry West & Motorcars Ltd and all commented that replacing the front springs is almost unheard of and nobody seems to think shocks could be the cause of this much of a sag.

At this point I'm considering a .75 - 1 inch coil spring insulator but not sure if this will work or not. I have finally found some new factory road springs for this car at skjagtech.co.uk for about $220 USD but with my luck I'll buy them and they will have no absolutely no effect.

Any ideas?

Old 09-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

RJK,

1) Does the XKR have any active suspension elements that could be receiveing wrong signal or malfunctioning? It seems similar to problems Lincoln had with similar vintage cars equipped with active suspension system.

2) Was this something that was this way since car was purchased or did it happen over time?

Regards,
Steven (1avguy)

Old 09-13-2009, 07:57 AM
RJK

Steven,

On your first question: I don't think so. I believe the adaptive suspension is passive in nature. It senses pitch, roll & yaw and attempts to counter act that by controlling the orifice size in the dampener to restrict fluid movement from one chamber to the other. Essentially controlling the rate at which the shaft moves up and down. This system has no leveling characteristics or function so the ride height is set by the road springs as I understand it.

I purchased the car used and it has been this way since then.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 09-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Rob,

I have not finalized access to JTIS data. On alfas there is a measured uncompressed spring length and loaded spring length where you can check it out of the car as an independent item.

I had a second hand BMW where the previous owner or mechanic decided to toss the cups that the springs seat in top at top and bottom on front and stacked a spacer in back to "look better". On those, suspension geometry was not impacted so much as wheels did not change camber so much.

HAve you had a chance to "inventory" against manual to see if everything is there or to hook up with someone to do a side by side check of where distances are off?

Easiest on a two lifts, side by side. Which I don't have, however, if it would help, happy to crawl under mine and shoot some photos or measure a point to point or two to help narrow it down. Mine is an 03 XK8 coupe so I don't have certainty on direct correlation.

Sympathy,
Steven (1avguy)

Old 09-13-2009, 12:15 PM
RJK

So what I failed to mention earlier is that prior to taking the car into the shop I replaced the drivers side upper shock mount. The reason I finally took it in to a shop was the lower shock bushings are an extreme pain to press out and press in the new one; I just didn't have the proper tools.

So from an inventory standpoint I know that all the parts that are there were there when I started this. By the pictures (I hope they uploaded, if not I've posted them in my online user garage) you can see there are 3 each packers ( .125" thick black spacer) and 1 each spring seat insulator (white piece) right against the spring. Now whether or not these are all the correct pieces I'm not certain and the dealership wasn't too cooperative with the question.

I looked through my JTIS ( Best $6 ever spent by the way) and in this case I couldn't find and actual count on the packers that are suppose to be installed. It does state that they vary based on the available options of the different models.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone hear locally that I could perform the side by side comparison with but pictures I've seen don't really seem all that dissimilar. But again its only about 1-1.25 inch depending on which side. It really wouldn't be that bad if the rear was an inch lower as well. I don't care for the jacked up rear end look.
Thanks,
Rob

Attached Thumbnails XKR ride height low front end-spings-001x.jpg   XKR ride height low front end-springs-003x.jpg  

Quick Reply: XKR ride height low front end