Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR starts, runs for about 3 seconds then stops

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR starts, runs for about 3 seconds then stops

Please help if you can

I have an XKR, vintage 1998-9 and I love it.

She would not start last week, I thought it was because she was low on petrol and I had parked her on a steep slope (long story) and that the fuel was not reaching the feed.
I put a gallon in but to no avail.

I called the AA who towed me to a flat piece of ground but she still would not go.
The AA diagnosed a faulty fuel pump and towed me to the local garage (not a Jag dealer).

The garage fitted a new fuel pump (twin pump variety).

The car now fires up runs for two or three seconds and stops, almost as if an immobiliser is cutting in.

The garage got the local Jag expert out who said that his diagnostic computer could not speak to the CPU in the XKR.
The Jag expert suggested putting it on a low loader and taking it to a Jag dealer so that they can replace all of the CPU units, one at a time, until they diagnose why the reader cannot speak to the CPU. This is at an estimated cost of £1200 per unit (plus towing!).

Has anybody had this problem or know of a possible cure. I love my car and am trying to run a supercar on a budget and can ill afford the fees implicated.

I have trawled the web and found two suggestions.
Firstly to connect the negative battery lead to the positive terminal to do a CPU "reboot".
Secondly to check the wiring on the fuel pump is not backwards so that the high pressure pump is working instead of the low pressure pump.

Any advise or suggestions would be so gratefully received.

Many thanks

Mike

Old 05-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

It sounds to me like the chip in your key is bad, or the car lost the code for the key. Do you have a spare key you can try?

Old 05-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
It sounds to me like the chip in your key is bad, or the car lost the code for the key. Do you have a spare key you can try?
Do the 1998 – 99 cars have a chip in the key?

Old 05-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

See my reply to your other post in the General tech section.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:49 AM
Default RE:Key

Its a very good point - I do not have a spare key and the fob has never worked either.
I have to unlock the door with the key and then start the engine within about ten seconds to stop the alarm from going off.
This system seems to still work.
Inserting the key and turning to position 2 disables the alarm, so perhaps the chip in the key (if there is one) is ok?
Many thanks
Mike

Old 05-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

sounds like one of the two fuel pumps still isn't working...one starts the xkr, the other runs it. If the wrong one was replaced, it won't do both duties, however, the other one can (start and run)...for a limited timespan (months, maybe years)

The following users liked this post:
mikeyevs (05-14-2011)
Old 05-07-2011, 10:32 AM

Thank you for your replies.
Car still not sorted. One fuel pump changed and no result. Jaguar dealer said that there is only one fuel pump in the tank so got an independant dealer to check and they confirmed there are two!
I am being to ld that he second pump is part of the tank and will cost £1200.00 for a new tank and pump!!
There must be a solution to this. I am very reluctant to spend another £1200.00 plus vat plus labour to possibly end up with the same problem.
If anybody has any ideas then please help, my car is worthless sitting in a garage and I am reluctant to scrap her.
Mike.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

If the Jaguar Dealership says one fuel pump in an XKR you are taking your car to the wrong shop. As far as I know all XK(R) have 2 fuel pumps. As for the replacement I have a procedure but it is for an XK8 that only has 1 pump. Fuel Pump Replacement & http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto...FilterPump.pdf I hope this helps!

mikeyevs (05-14-2011)
Old 05-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

I had this recently and Jagtec nailed it. The in tank link leads for the fuel pumps are often a fail point. Not saying that is it, but check pressure at the rail to see what happens on start up. It may be something else, but this is one thing it may be.

What I did to nail it to being the link lead or fuel pump for the primary pump was simple(after testing all the fuses and relays, testing for spark, checking for vacuum leaks, then testing for pressure at the rail when priming and running):

I took off the short harness that goes to the fuel pump access panel on the top of the tank, tested it, then I ended up switching the priming pump's wires with the primary pumps ones. I put the connectors back together, plugged it in and the car fired right up and ran like a champ. Then I ordered the link leads, two new fuel pumps and strainers (I hate shotgunning parts, especially since I knew exactly what was bad, but I'm NOT going back in there). After I installed the parts, I put the wiring back to stock and the car runs great.

Gus's procedure is identical for my XKR right until you get inside the tank itself. Even then, it's just two pumps that T into one hose to exit the tank instead of just one. It's really simple. The hardest part by far is getting the lines disconnected.

For my 2000 XKR there is nothing about the pumps that makes you need a new tank. They are both held on with a simple screw or two. They both came out quick and easy once the tank was pulled. They are two identical pumps that T into the same line. Unless your tank is physically damaged so that it is deformed or leaking, the tank is good. Also, if the wiring was reversed for the priming and primary pumps, as long as the wires and pumps were good, it wouldn't matter that they were reversed.

mikeyevs (05-14-2011)
Old 05-07-2011, 11:15 PM

Sounds like that dealer doesn't have a clue. If and when they go in to replace the other pump, please make sure that the link lead is replaced also. And make sure they check the connector on the pump that they just replaced....there is a chance that if it was burnt before, that it may have taken out the new pump also. I once had a guy that did NOT want the link lead replaced, even after I explained that it may well fail and take out the new pumps. He would not pay the extra $150 or so. Guess what happened. Guess who had to pay ALL the labor AGAIN. Just sayin'.

mikeyevs (05-14-2011)
Old 05-14-2011, 09:41 AM

Dear All
I can't thank you enough.
Jag mended and running better than ever.
It would seem that one fuel pump (the one which is tough to get at) failed a while ago and the other pump managed to work for a while before it gave out too.
Once both pumps and harness had been replaced (with genuine parts - thank you tech4jag) it ran beautifully.
The main dealer quoted me £1200 for a replacement tank which was unnecessary. Thank you for your advice Jagtec1.
In short, this forum guided the car repair place brilliantly, got my car going and saved me a fortune in the meantime.
A great success story and as you can probably tell I am delighted
Regards
Mike

Old 05-14-2011, 01:24 PM

Glad you are back on the road!

Old 05-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

I'm just blown away that an actual Jag dealership didn't know that your car had two pumps, and they wanted to unnecessarily replace the fuel tank. WTF???

In post number 7 you said that one pump was changed but that didn't fix the problem. Did this dealer change that pump? If so, did the tech not see the second ****ing pump in the tank while he was in there? How could he miss it? And if he saw it, why didn't he think to test it to make sure it was working? I'm blown away that a Jag dealer, or even an independent shop would do that. Most members of this forum who have spent any time reading these threads would know that your car has two pumps.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:59 PM

I have a 2002 XKR w/fuel pumps issues. I can't see where the fuel line and return line enter the tank from under the car. Am I missing something?

Old 05-17-2011, 02:08 PM

I have one of the pumps out of the tank but because I can't , don't know how, to completly remove tank from the car I can't get to the second one. I have checked all fuses, don't know how to check the relays ore the in tank leades to the pumps. Amy help??
Thanks Chuck

Old 05-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Ipboater
I have a 2002 XKR w/fuel pumps issues. I can't see where the fuel line and return line enter the tank from under the car. Am I missing something?
http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto...eplacement.pdf

JagXK82001 (05-17-2011)
Old 11-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Default XK8 Stalls after 5 secs

Originally Posted by Jagtec1
Glad you are back on the road!
Jagtec1, I have a similar problem, but my fuel pump works fine. All relays & fuses are good. It starts, runs smooth the shuts down with no codes. Only 1 fuel pump as far as I know and when the relay is jumped out the pump runs with plenty of pressure. Any idea why my car shuts down after 5 secs or so.

masterblaster
1999 XK8 convertible, K&N filter

Last edited by masterblaster; 11-04-2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: forgot to sign
Old 11-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

If your car is an XK8 then yes you have only one fuel pump. I would suggest taking a pressure test on the fuel line it should produce around 40PSI. I would also check your fuel filter.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Default XK8 stall no code

Originally Posted by Gus
If your car is an XK8 then yes you have only one fuel pump. I would suggest taking a pressure test on the fuel line it should produce around 40PSI. I would also check your fuel filter.
Gus;614299, Thank you for your reply. The fuel filter has been checked as has the fuel pressure. I jumped out the fuel pump relay so that it would stay on and checked the fuel pressure at the manifold and it is stable at 45 psi. By removing the fuel relay, it created a code, so I know that that relay is good. I also removed every relay and individually tested each one and they were all good.

Thank you,
masterblaster
1999 XK8 convertible, K&N filter

Old 11-05-2012, 07:56 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

You have 2 fuses that feed power to the fuel pump. Read this check procedure and see if it helps.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The way to check fuses is to take them out and test continuity across the blades, as for the relay swap with another relay and if the problem moves to another location replace the bad relay.

Quick Reply: XKR starts, runs for about 3 seconds then stops