XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xm/sirius radio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Default xm/sirius radio?

Have any of you added XM radio externally?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sirius radio

I have added a Sirius radio with the adapter using the antenna socket to the stock 1998 radio. Works well and is all I use now. You do lose the AM bands but FM works as does the cassette and cd player. I connected the power thru the fuse box and tucked the antenna on the passenger side of the dash. If I change the rear speakers again I will put the antenna on the underside of the boot. Steering wheel controls work normally. No signal issues and lots of choices.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey59
Steering wheel controls work normally. No signal issues and lots of choices.
Does the stock head unit display the Sat Radio station number/name and/or song? Can you change Sat radio stations using the steering wheel radio controls?

Mark

Old 01-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The connection just routes the signal through the radio. The radio just displays the FM station the Sirius radio uses to connect to the stick radio. I used none permanent mounting putty and mounted the satellite radio on the dash and hid the wires in the creases in the leather dash connection areas. The 10 preset buttons give me enough choices normally but can search all the channels if I want to using tHe satellite radio controls.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:23 PM

I just sent for a portable sirius/xm radio unit that is supposed to work just by plugging into the "power outlet" (aka cigarette lighter). I have the built-in package in my Suburban, and I find that as much as hate the idea of paying a monthly fee to listen to music/other I really like not having to carry CDs or tapes anymore, and putting up with fading radio stations.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has used one of these portable units (it does both car and home)....and again, the question of whether or not we can still use our steering wheel controls for volume or channel selection. I'm guessing not channel selection, but at least the volume would be nice.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I expect the cigarette ones just have an FM modulator built into them. i.e. you tune your FM radio to an unused FM channel and the unit "broadcasts" a signal to it. I have an old Brix in my Dodge that does this. It is OK. It works, but expect static and hiss... nice thing is it is small and portable. I fixed the one in my Dodge by adding a $20 adapter that direct connects the unit from the headphone jack to the antenna. It is WAYYYY better! I am getting ready to put a Starmate8 in my new 2004 XK8 when I get delivery of the car. I will be glad to post pics when I am done. MC

Old 02-09-2012, 04:33 PM

And the answer to your question is the volume will work, but the channel selection will be on the Sirius box....

Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Italianguy63
I expect the cigarette ones just have an FM modulator built into them. i.e. you tune your FM radio to an unused FM channel and the unit "broadcasts" a signal to it. I have an old Brix in my Dodge that does this. It is OK. It works, but expect static and hiss... nice thing is it is small and portable. I fixed the one in my Dodge by adding a $20 adapter that direct connects the unit from the headphone jack to the antenna. It is WAYYYY better! I am getting ready to put a Starmate8 in my new 2004 XK8 when I get delivery of the car. I will be glad to post pics when I am done. MC
+1

If you live far from an urban area, you might get away with a wireless modulator. If you are near an urban area, a wired modulaor will be MUCH better.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased a sirius xm Onyx for my 03 jag xkr, and it mounted perfectly in about 30 minutes, using the mount for the a/c vent. The antenna is magnetic and I hid the wires under the rubber edges. You can control the volume from the controls but not the stations...you must tune the radio to some unused fm station. I also wanted the same unit for my 01 jag, so I went to Best Buy to buy an additional mounting kit..($59 and then I discovered that the whole radio w kit was only $79). So I bought the complete radio, did not activate it, and used the mounts. Now I have a spare radio in case of damage or theft.....I also bought the xm home mount speaker system for $139, and I can use the radio at the beach, home, or anywhere I want.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Italianguy63
I'd definitely like to know about the adapter that uses the antenna and where to get one.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:08 AM
Old 02-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

See my earlier post on this subject:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...install-60716/

I am still very happy with this unit. It has an audio-out jack that will work with a cassette adapter for uninterrupted signal when traveling, but around town the FM modulator works fine.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gator8
See my earlier post on this subject:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...install-60716/

I am still very happy with this unit. It has an audio-out jack that will work with a cassette adapter for uninterrupted signal when traveling, but around town the FM modulator works fine.
Yes, I read through that thread. Where does the cassette adaptor fit into the components? Is it one of those cassette-size units that inserts and has an antenna wire to give FM through a system with no FM radio?

Last edited by oldjaglover; 02-12-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

The cassette adapter is essentially a cassette (less the tape) with a wire coming out of it that plugs into the XM receiver. It goes into the cassette deck and makes contact with the playback head. It does not use the FM receiver at all.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:24 PM

I bought the fm module adapter today, and installed it this afternoon. The radio now works great, with no fm noise. However, I noticed that the radio now will not turn off with the key switch. It does power down with the volume knob, but will stay on if I take the key out. What did I forget to reinstall?? I am thinking that it may be a chassis ground wire to the radio, and it might have slipped off when I pulled the radio out. Anyone ever run into this problem? I really hate to take it all apart all over again, but I will be investigating what could have been missed....I would appreciate any suggestions.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by frankslawn
I bought the fm module adapter today, and installed it this afternoon. The radio now works great, with no fm noise. However, I noticed that the radio now will not turn off with the key switch. It does power down with the volume knob, but will stay on if I take the key out. What did I forget to reinstall?? I am thinking that it may be a chassis ground wire to the radio, and it might have slipped off when I pulled the radio out. Anyone ever run into this problem? I really hate to take it all apart all over again, but I will be investigating what could have been missed....I would appreciate any suggestions.
Which wires did you connect the FM adapter to for power?

Old 02-14-2012, 03:17 AM

The FM adapter has nothing to do with power. It only connects to the headphone out and antenna itself (it is self powered). You have to have something else wrong. i.e. you have wired the radio into 12V+ power, and not a (keyed) "Accessory" 12V+ line. MC

Old 02-14-2012, 06:19 AM

You are correct. The FM modulator plugs directly into the antenna and is self powered.,.I have the xm radiio wired with the cigarette adapter plug. I did not disconnect any wires, and it worked fine until I added the fm modulator. I did have to pull the radio out to get to the antenna, but other than that, I did not touch any wiring..The xm radio is powered by the cigarette lighter outlet, and that is switched with the ignition. However, the radio is no longer switched. It worked fine until I added the modulator. My guess is that the radio must have either loosened a connection, or some wire became detached. It makes no sense, since I did not disturb any wiring.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:55 AM

One word-- CRAZY. Should not be.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:57 AM

When it is in this impossible condition (On with the key off), unplug the little headphone jack-- does it go off?

Quick Reply: xm/sirius radio?