XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another first...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Yet another first...

Continuing on the week of new experiences...

Yesterday I had noticed my car pulling to the left after start up. Didn't think much of it. Started it up again later on and it still pulled to the left until the car warmed up or until I get to my destination, whichever came first.

I had no reason to drive it early on today when it was brighter and warmer out. But once the sun went down, I had to go pick up a buddy and then drive to my ex's to drop off the daughter for the week to a bitch who doesn't deserve a daughter. Anyways, I started it up, let it run for a couple of minutes then back out of my driveway, it felt sluggish. Again I attributed that to being cold. I started driving down the street, still sluggish. Weird. Whatever.

I took my hands of the wheel because it felt unusually heavy while doing 20kmh and it immediately turned 90 degress counter clockwise. "HOLY MOLY!" I was nearly wetting myself, not only was my car sluggish, it was out of alignment.

So I drove to my friend's house with the heavy wheel. We drive maybe 6km and I'm really beginning to fret, the wheel just keeps getting heavier and heavier. That's when... the sound... came. And then the vibration. You know the flap flap flap flap sound like a flag waving in a strong wind while that same wind is pulling on the steering wheel? Yeah I had a flat.

So I pulled into a local school's parking lot. Sure enough, it was flat, almost totally. I didn't have time to change it or my drop off would be late so I decided to risk it. I drove the rest of the way relieved that the alignment wasn't shot and there didn't seem to be any other issues.

After I dropped her off, on time, I pulled the car down a different street and parked it under a street light. Glad I did. I couldn't have gone much further without shredding the tire. Not like it mattered. During the change I found the culprit; a nice nail had stuck itself into the tire and caused a slow deflation. The tire is shot anyways. Thank Jaguar I had a full size one stored in the back.

So there you have it. My first time having a flat tire. My first time having a problem with the Jaguar. My first time changing a flat in slightly above freezing temperatures, with no light to see much more than the chrome caps. My first time dropping my daughter off with someone else for the night in 3 years.

A week of firsts indeed. The car now handles just like it did when I first got it. No longer sluggish, no longer any pulls.