XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are your windows tinted on your XK?

Old 06-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are your windows tinted on your XK?

So I want to tint the windows on my 98 XK8 due to the Florida heat. However I am not soo sure I want to only because I am afraid the car would look old.

I was thinking of doing the Suntek HP 50 Blue...... it would give it an OEM Benz look to the windows.

HOWEVER, would that even block the sun? And would it look odd?

I would love some insight as to what the rest of you owners have decided to do with your windows.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:57 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi guys,
I am right up the coast from you on Merritt Island, so I know what you mean about the hot Florida sun! I had my XKR fitted with tinted 3M film. I don't remember what they called it, but it was as dark as the law would allow. The rear windows are slightly darker than the fronts (by law), but realistically, you rarely notice the difference. I am very happy with the tinting results and would do it again with no hesitation. It looks great, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect. As I ALWAYS use a front sunshade and since am able to garage the car at when not in use, my interior is in perfect shape................and I want to keep it that way.

Let me know when you drive up this way.
Regards,
Brian

Old 06-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife drives a 4 dr Lexus ES350 Sedan, white in color and that has 27% tint on it. It contrasts well with the color and isnt real dark like a limo block out. As Brian mentioned, you can pretty much get away with doing the rear window in all cars a lil darker w/o any problems from the law.

Personally, I don't have tint on my dark grey (titanium MC) XK8 because I don't like the look of tinted windows on a convertible. It looks cool when the top is up but I think most cv's look odd with tinted windows when the top is down.

The Fla heat can be tough so do what you want as it comes down to personal tastes. Otherwise we would all be driving the same make of car with the same color. Kinda like chrome wheels on a Jag...some like it, some don't but it comes down to what makes you happy imo.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

I know what you mean, i've always had tinted windows in all of my previous cars and SUVs, but the vert is a different story. You're right Brian, verts don't look very good top-down and tinted. Thankfully, the windows are so small anyway, not alot of sunlight makes it in. The windows also have a slight polarization to it that helps (you can see it with polarized sunglesses on), perhaps that helps block out some of the light also, w/o resorting to tint. It is warm, but managable comared to other sedans or sports cars i've been in w/o tint.