Diesel variants - All models Visit here for discussions on diesel powerplants and the impressive torque / mpg figures achievable....

Need some advice on ECU change 04 Diesel X type

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some advice on ECU change 04 Diesel X type

Sorry for the repost, I realised I posted in the petrol X type forum.

Hi all, I wonder if I could get some advice. I have a 04 X Type 2.0 Diesel with 72,300 miles and I have what sounds like a ECU faulty. Problems go back 5 weeks ago, was driving it and the car cut-out and would not restart. I did have a flashing glow plug light. So towed it home, and read the code and it was P0251. So checked hoses for splits, changed fuel filter and the car started, but with loads of black crap on the floor under the exhaust.

Took for test drive, drove fine, so took it to my friend's garage to diagnose the fault further as I was going away, so left it with him. He changed a pressure sensor on the fuel rail, as it looked like that was the fault. So he changed it, took it for a drive and it broke down again, same as before, so he towed it back and to try and get it to start, he tried apparently many times to jump start it, with boosters, off cars etc. But now it wouldn't turn, just dead like immobilised.

On the dash it was showing security failed, so tried a battery no different. ran power to the back of the starter from battery, and it turned over but wont start. So towed it to a independent jag garage, he plugged in with a machine, and could only test 70% of the ECU before it failed. so got a program to flash to it, and it got to 80% and failed again. So thinks it ECU have died from the jumping of the car so much.

Now my question is, if I get a second ECU, Ignition transponder unit and chip for the key, if I swap all that from my dead car will I need to get anything coded? as I was told by a Autolec that if I do that, it will work and car will start. But I thought the injectors were coded like a ford, and I also thought the pump was coded, but apparently the ECU will find those setting itself. Anyone offer advice on what needed for ECU change, I be grateful as I was quoted £720 for a new ECU. Thanks.

Anthony