E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

65 Jaguar Gas tank cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 65 Jaguar Gas tank cleaning

Hello,
I found a 65 OTS, original, unrestored, 49K miles a few years ago. When I first found it, the pickup and gas tank were covered with tar. Still had some gas. It was cleaned out. Now the car has been gone through mechanically and is driving well.I love driving it and want to get it going good again.
I had a Series 2 paper filter in addition to the gauze. A few days ago the car came to a stop. I removed the paper as it was clogged and got the car started to get back to my shop. Put in some Seafoam and some fresh 93 non ethanol gas. Cleaned the bowl and gauze. Now everytime I clean out and open the fuel bowl, it has black particles coming through from the tank.
Anyone have any experience cleaning the tank out in car with evaporust? Since most of the trash is likely on the bottom of the tank, I thought I would try this first with 3-5 gallons of it.
Thanks,
Ted Warren

Old 07-29-2016, 11:26 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Chelates are great. Based on my experience with Evap-o-Rust and Espirit, I would go with Espirit for your application. Evapo-o-rust leaves behind a sticky, gummy residue (my theory is it is refined molasses) which is fine if you're soaking a part in a five gallon bucket and can take the de-rusted part to the sink for a thorough rinsing. That thorough of a rinse may be more difficult with a gas tank in situ.

I used both to cascade wash surface rust from the interior sheet metal and the Espirit worked faster and unlike the EvapoRust didnt cause more rust in splash zones and didnt leave a sticky residue.

Evaporust is available in 5g buckets via AmazonPrime (2 day) for around $90. In my experience it does not tolerate dilution very well so you may need 3 or 4 of those to fill your tank as the material has to be in constant contact with the metal for hours or days. If you took it out you could rotate it to get the different surfaces. Probably why they always use motorcycle tanks for demo!

The Espirit is available online in concentrate so does end up being slightly more expensive than Evapo because you'll need four gallons of distilled water. But in my experience will give you a better result.

No vendor connection, blah blah blah. I have two 5g buckets of Evaporust that I use for derusting parts that can be soaked in those buckets.

If you're curious, I've youtube my chelation adventures. Here is one showing the Espirit cascading down the back of the cockpit.

and this one shows the disappointment from using Evaporust on large areas.

Hope some of that is useful.

Jim

Old 07-29-2016, 11:43 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by dittle
Put in some Seafoam
Please, no. There's nothing in 'Seafoam' that will help with this kind of problem.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:27 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

dittle, have been down this road.....bite the bullet and get a new tank, new fuel pump and change all the rubber line.
1. New tank with coating for ethanol gas protection, they all are today.
2. New fuel pump as crap is trapped in the pump.
3. sump screen and all replace
4. Change ALL rubber lines to FUEL INJECTION quality .
Not doing the above will only create more SCALING in the tank to get to the jets and floats.....sooner or later, you will crap out the carbs......
Good luck!
GTJOEY1314