F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 week of ownership, and first problem. creaking Front Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 10:36 PM
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 1 week of ownership, and first problem. creaking Front Suspension

I have noticed since the day I received the car (2015 CPO F-Type R with 800 miles) that the car made a "creak" or "knock" at times in the front suspension. It happened when I would stop the car, and then as soon as I went to go again it would make a "knock" or "click" sound in the front suspension area. I then noticed after a long drive that when I park and turned the wheel it started "creaking". I'm guessing the sounds are related and that its either a bad ball joint or bad tie rod. I tried searching for this problem on the forums and I couldnt find anything on this.

Anyone else have a front suspension knock or creaking sound? Seems so strange for a ball joint to go bad so soon. My CLS63 had a ball joint go bad at 40,000 miles and it made a similar sound so thats what I'm guessing its this. I have an appointment to drop the car off at the dealer next Monday, will report the findings.

I took this video which I'm sure you'll all enjoy

Old 09-15-2015, 01:31 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Shiver me timbers...Sounds like an old boat!

Did you have the brakes applied when you did the steering movement?

FWIW - The only known technical issue with front end on the was an incorrect torque on the tie-rod lock nuts, and not heard of this on any other car so far.

Can you get someone else to do the same with the steering whilst you have a listen under the front of the car, may help to isolate the component.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JagBrian

I took this video which I'm sure you'll all enjoy
ENJOY?! This is heart breaking Have you scheduled an appt with your dealer yet?

Old 09-15-2015, 09:23 AM
Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

I can make similar noises if my car is sitting on the driveway. It seems to come from the tires rubbing against the pavement. Maybe I missed something?

Orkney

Old 09-15-2015, 10:34 AM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

I wouldn't waste anymore time trying to pinpoint it on your own. You're pretty well protected. Not only is the car still under factory warranty, you have CPO warranty as well.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tel
Shiver me timbers...Sounds like an old boat!

Did you have the brakes applied when you did the steering movement?

FWIW - The only known technical issue with front end on the was an incorrect torque on the tie-rod lock nuts, and not heard of this on any other car so far.

Can you get someone else to do the same with the steering whilst you have a listen under the front of the car, may help to isolate the component.
My wife is always with our 6 month old baby so I didnt want to ask her to come out. I just figured I'll take it in, no sense trying to figure it out. Its definitely NOT normal though.

Originally Posted by FrozenMango
ENJOY?! This is heart breaking Have you scheduled an appt with your dealer yet?
Yep taking it in Monday, they have a loaner car for my this Thursday but I cant make it then.

Originally Posted by Orkney
I can make similar noises if my car is sitting on the driveway. It seems to come from the tires rubbing against the pavement. Maybe I missed something?

Orkney
I dont think your speakers are loud enough
Definitely not tire rubbing sounds. I've been working on cars since I was handed my first keys and I'm pretty sure a ball joint is bad. If you crank your speakers you will hear a "creaking" which is much different than the sound of your tires rubbing against the pavement.

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
I wouldn't waste anymore time trying to pinpoint it on your own. You're pretty well protected. Not only is the car still under factory warranty, you have CPO warranty as well.
Thats how I felt too, just take it in and not worry. The CPO is good until end of March 2021 so I'm covered pretty well

Old 09-21-2015, 04:30 PM

I dropped my car at West Chester Jaguar this morning. The head tech Mike came out and listened to this creaking sound as well as the "knock" sound that I'm having when I hit the gas around turns. He acknowledged hearing it and we went over a few other tid bits like the green sticker on the "R" badge peeling off. Mike was a great tech and carefully went around the car also acknowledging that there wasnt a single ding or scratch on the body or wheels since the car was so new. I asked for him to please be careful with it.

They gave me an Evoque loaner which is nice.

The service guy called me just now and said that Mike found that front control arm mounting bolt in the front suspension was loose. So the control arm was moving around thus the "knock" I would hear... They said it was probably never tightened at the factory and its not something that would work its way loose.

Not sure what to think about it but I'm glad its fixed.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:03 PM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

You were bloody lucky if it was the mounting bolt - that you noticed it when you did!

The field action that I mentioned above was affecting the tie-rod lock nuts only.

Originally Posted by Tel

Old 09-21-2015, 07:17 PM

Thank you for your post and picture, I forgot to mention that to them today. I will ask them to make sure that its tight tomorrow. The control arm thing is a bit strange. I cant wait to get back in the car and check it out to make sure its not making any funny sounds. I will torture test it leaving the dealership of course lol