F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type SVR Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 12:17 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The ship carrying the blue SVR I ordered is in port as of today, which means the vehicle should be at my dealer within a week or so. It's an Ultra Blue convertible with black wheels and black brake calipers, a black top, and the original F-Type non-SVR spoiler. Should have great lines and awesome color feel.

Even though I bought a Lamborghini Huracan in the interim, I am still looking forward to evaluating the SVR when it comes and there's a small but non-zero chance I might end up acquiring it.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:50 PM
Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts
Default A Better Photo of Caldera Red

Originally Posted by DJS
It's not that orange in real life, at least as shown on my iPad.
DJS is correct, my photos of the SVR didn't accurately depict the true Caldera Red that I saw on the SVR. The photos came out with an orange tint. While this is not an SVR, I believe that these two photos below more accurately convey the true Caldera Red color that was on the SVR...

Attached Thumbnails F-Type SVR Discussion Thread-caldera-red-f-type.jpg   F-Type SVR Discussion Thread-caldera-red-f-type-2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Jagged Wire (07-26-2017)
Old 08-06-2016, 11:28 AM

Does any SVR owner who's previously owned an R or V8S have any comments about how the SVR compares in terms of comfort, sound, power, ...?

Old 08-11-2016, 01:04 AM

It arrived at the dealer today. I didn't get to drive it yet but I checked out the interior. I guess I could call it a step up from the V8S. There's an oddly inconsistent combination of leather and suede covering the dashboard I don't care for, the lack of a flat bottom steering wheel is a shame, and the carbon fiber center console cover is somehow not as impressive as I thought it would be. But the quilted pattern seats and door insets are nice, and make the seat more comfortable.

The black wheels and calipers with the blue body and black convertible roof are stunning.

If I had it to do over again I'd order it with SVR-style spoiler, exterior carbon fiber package, and possibly carbon ceramic brakes... In Firesand, not Ultra Blue. I might also get a coupe.

In any case I'm almost certainly not going to buy it... So there's an unclaimed SVR 'vert at the awesome JLR dealer in Bellevue, WA.

Last edited by tai4de2; 08-11-2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:03 PM

I inspected the SVR more closely today and drove it.

The exhaust note is subtly different. It's softer than in the V8S except under heavy throttle. It's also a little deeper and more raspy. The snap crackle pop isn't as aggressive.

The handling and power seem very similar to an R.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:05 PM

Interior pics. The blue micro-piping is nice.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:02 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Sits to high and the wheels dont fill the arches but apart from that it looks ok lol

Old 08-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

i have a set of SVR CF bonnet louvres for sale if anyone is interested

Old 08-13-2016, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

agree about the flat bottomed steering wheel - was that an option you forgot to select, or is it really not available in the SVR? If the latter, that's silly. Otherwise I love the interior. Dislike the all black wheels. Not enough contrast.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:43 AM

Flat bottom steering wheel is not an option in the SVR.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:26 AM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default SVR with Racechip

Hello chaps,

Just back from a spot of testing some tunes.

Compared Velocity AP's Stage 2 tune (505rwhp claimed) and the SVR tune with Racechip in my V8S (uploaded by me using Velocity's Alientech mini-tuning device).

The Velocity tune is a corker - just marginally more powerful than my previous fave - the V8R tune with Racechip which made 505rwhp on my dyno. It's progressive, smooth, exploitable, and just about maxxes out the available grip, balance, and braking there is to be had. It's what the F Type should have been all along.

I found I just wanted to go faster and faster on the twisties and never once did I fear the car would bite me.

The SVR with Racechip on the other hand was a total animal (the Racechip added 45rwhp to the V8R tune so proportionally would add 47rwhp to the SVR tune upping it to 528rwhp - or 630hp+ at the crank). All this from a stock V8S AJ133 V8 engine.

It's so fast it's shocking.

It adds AMG-style torque delivery - so much so you live in constant fear the rear will let go should you feed in throttle even a fraction with the wheel anything other than straight ahead.

My pace ended up being far slower than the less powerful Velocity tune - it requires a recalibration of one's mind to cope with how quickly the next corner arrives. I've never been in anything so fast in all my life!

I have a pair of Velocity AP downpipes with sport cats sitting about and will be fitting them soon and look forward to seeing what they add. Stuart reckons about another 20hp.

That's getting to some pretty amazing numbers that any V8 owner reading this thread can achieve (all our engines are identical internally) with less than $5k and a bit of effort - no pulley mods required:
https://www.racechip.eu/
http://www.velocityap.com/

Enjoy!

Aus V8S
Sydney Australia

Old 08-16-2016, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Aus V8S
The SVR with Racechip on the other hand was a total animal (the Racechip added 45rwhp to the V8R tune so proportionally would add 47rwhp to the SVR tune upping it to 528rwhp - or 630hp+ at the crank). All this from a stock V8S AJ133 V8 engine.
Nope nope nope... That's not how this works. You can't just assume because the racechip piggy back made 45hp over the 550 tune that it will automatically gain that much over the 575 tune. Engine tuning isn't addition; you can't just add two tunes together and get the net results of both. Don't claim numbers as facts when you have no idea.

Everything in this post is subjective. You say it's faster, but you went slower. If there's one thing I've learned, its that the butt dyno is completely unreliable. Personally I'm very scheptical about this "racechip" tune since I've only ever heard you talk about them. These guys have some impossible claims... 78hp increase over the SVR tune with the "Racechip Ultimate"... That's over 650bhp; no other tuner has come even close to that! I don't believe it for a second.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:51 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Personally I'm very scheptical about this "racechip" tune since I've only ever heard you talk about them. These guys have some impossible claims... 78hp increase over the SVR tune with the "Racechip Ultimate"... That's over 650bhp; no other tuner has come even close to that! I don't believe it for a second.
I'm extremely skeptical as well. However, coming from a bit of a German car background where piggybacks are all the rage (and reputable ones often work as claimed, or close enough to it), I'm wondering if anyone else here has tried Racechip's piggyback? A quick forum search doesn't seem to yield anything.

Last edited by Inspector-G; 08-16-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

I finally got mine today! So far so good, no rattles squeaks or anything to complain about.

After a heavily modded XKR it feels lighter, has more low end but less on the top(pulley and tune). The dampers low speed bump feels faster but the rebound is only slightly slower and better controlled than the Stock XKR stock but not with the Spires coilovers. I can definitely feel a higher Center of Gravity so coilovers to lower/corner balance it and a proper alignment are next. Of course I may just need to get used to it.

I'll have to get out to the track in the next week or two too really tell, then I can compare the telemetry to my XKR.

So far I'm really happy with it

The following 3 users liked this post by MaximA:
DGL (08-31-2016), jleuz1 (09-02-2016), Mbourne (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 09:03 AM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Nope nope nope... That's not how this works. You can't just assume because the racechip piggy back made 45hp over the 550 tune that it will automatically gain that much over the 575 tune. Engine tuning isn't addition; you can't just add two tunes together and get the net results of both. Don't claim numbers as facts when you have no idea.

Everything in this post is subjective. You say it's faster, but you went slower. If there's one thing I've learned, its that the butt dyno is completely unreliable. Personally I'm very scheptical about this "racechip" tune since I've only ever heard you talk about them. These guys have some impossible claims... 78hp increase over the SVR tune with the "Racechip Ultimate"... That's over 650bhp; no other tuner has come even close to that! I don't believe it for a second.
It's quite amazing - I get flamed for posting dyno'd numbers and told I'm only presenting 'subjective info' and 'have no idea'.

I'm not terribly interested in the actual Racechip company's claims - nor whether any individual happens to find references to its use anywhere else on this or any other boards - I'm telling you my experience.

If you don't agree keep it to yourself unless you have a fact you'd like to present to counter what I have to say. Just not wanting to believe something says more about you than it does about my wanting toshare my insights freely.

My dyno pegged the stock R tune at 460rwhp and the same tune with the Racechip at 505rwhp. The runs were done back to back.

That's a fact. Whether you choose to believe it or not.

This thing adds serious horsepower and it costs very little. Why others haven't used it may have more to do with the fact the company is German based and these boards cover a British car owned largely by people in the US/Canada and the U.K.

Honestly - I couldn't care less why anyone else hasn't used one before. I use one and absolutely love it.

I intend to dyno the tunes I spoke about above and will be presenting all the dyno runs with all the tunes I've tried in my car for all to see. With and without the Racechip.

I've got news for you - you're in for a surprise.

Aus V8S

Panthro (09-18-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 10:08 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
I finally got mine today! So far so good, no rattles squeaks or anything to complain about.

After a heavily modded XKR it feels lighter, has more low end but less on the top(pulley and tune). The dampers low speed bump feels faster but the rebound is only slightly slower and better controlled than the Stock XKR stock but not with the Spires coilovers. I can definitely feel a higher Center of Gravity so coilovers to lower/corner balance it and a proper alignment are next. Of course I may just need to get used to it.

I'll have to get out to the track in the next week or two too really tell, then I can compare the telemetry to my XKR.

So far I'm really happy with it

Great pic to show the color in shade. I don't track cars, but I am very pleasantly surprised at how planted and stable this car feels. Drove in a brisk rain in the rain/ice mode and felt glued to the road. I thought I would be regretting my decision to stray from the 911 lineup, but this car is just pretty darn good so far. Will be anxious to get out of break-in and play with it a little.

MaximA (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

It's quite amazing - I get flamed for posting dyno'd numbers and told I'm only presenting 'subjective info' and 'have no idea'
I don't think you follow me... You're getting flamed for this statement:

the Racechip added 45rwhp to the V8R tune so proportionally would add 47rwhp to the SVR tune upping it to 528rwhp - or 630hp+ at the crank
I do not dispute your 45whp gain over the stock 550 hp tune. That sounds reasonable and similar to what other tuners have seen. I am calling you out on your claim that after flashing the SVR 575 hp tune the Racechip will still add over 45whp. Engine tunes don't work proportionally... You can't just add two together and get the combined gains of what they would do independently. And as you mentioned, you havent dynoed this yet so you are posting subjective info and have no idea. I fully expect you will not see the additional 27 horsepower you expect from this combination.

Last edited by Stohlen; 08-17-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Panthro (09-18-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Pardon if this has been posted.... but the SVR comes out favorably...

Aston Martin Vantage GT8 vs Jaguar F-type SVR twin test review (2016) by CAR Magazine

Vantage gt8 v SVR

The following 3 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
Arne (08-25-2016), enderle (08-24-2016), MaximA (08-25-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 02:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So I just passed 1000 miles and I have been pushing the car a little now. Actually its more like I am pushing myself because the car is unfazed. The extra weight compared to my prior 911's is noticeable but I cannot get over how quick, planted and stable this car feels. I got caught in yet another brisk rain and never had the slightest slip.
This is such an easy car to drive fast and feel very confident.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:04 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,090 Likes on 1,392 Posts

It's also an easy car to make you look good doing it.

Quick Reply: F-Type SVR Discussion Thread