General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

I have trying to find one that will read the stored codes in all the Jaguar modules, also recode them and also will do the keys and the remotes.

Here is a weblink to my post in the code reader thread (XJ X308 section) I found 3 devices that implies that they will work on the all of the Jaguar modules for XJ (X300 and X308):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0/#post1128586

I also mention the JLR Mongoose (source says it does not work with XJ X308); information I found on one of the other websites selling the JLR Mongoose SDD:
"1999 and up model years range for Jaguars. ie: models X100, X150, X202, X250, X350, X351, X400; 1999 & Up Jaguar and 2005 & up Land Rover"
Notice that the X308 is not listed.

Also researched 2 other ones for X300 & X308 -- DA-VINA 2534 JLR VCI and iCarsoft i930 Jaguar / Land Rover Diagnostic Scan Tool.

Looking forward to others formed opinions after they review my early findings.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 12-28-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Mongoose clone is cheap enough to buy & try it. It may well work, even if not in every detail with every module.

Their reluctance to say may well just be that they have no car to try it on and no knowledge how to investigate even if they had the car. I believe they sell the device, maybe even make them though I doubt it. I expect they don't use them.

Otherwise I think you're looking only for an older OE thing - WDS maybe? Nothing else will have the full coverage you want. You may even need more than one OE tool.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts
Default mongoose and x308

The chart released by JLR listed four approved devices.

Only two of those are supported for the X308 and other vehicles using the AJ26/AJ27.

There is also an accompanying footnote #2 that says programming of modules is
not supported even using the two supported devices.

All quite clear in the official JLR release document.

The document can be found on the web, or in the mongoose superthread.

A VCM is the only supported method of programming those affected models.

On the other hand, official support for the VCM has ended.

Last edited by plums; 12-29-2014 at 04:15 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 bluetooth scanners tested

hi

i just tested a
Andoer Mini V2.1 OBD2 Bluetooth Interface Auto Car Scanner Diagnostic Tool for Android from andoer on amazon. did not work on xtype but did on wifes mazda. torque picked up ecu communication error against compliant j1850pwm protocol

purchased this instead which worked on samsung tab 3 and an lg g2 using android 4.4 with torque pro -£15 amazon,

Supper Mini Bluetooth Car Code Reader Compatible with Android / Droid / Torque Support OBD2 OBD II ELM327 Power 2 - Blue

torque looks great on the tab as you see the interface centred in the middle of screen. works ok on mobile but the main interface is to the right of screen and obd11 settings require a bit of scrolling which took me a bit of trial and error to find
xtype is a 2009 2.0d

Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

My AutoXRay EZScan 5000 seems to work fine for my OBD2 Engine and Transmission codes for my 2000 XKR and 1998 XJR. It does work to do active monitoring but it is limited in what it monitors; it will monitor open/closed loop, readiness, o2 sensors, coolant temp, and quite a few other things.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:58 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I just purchased an Autel MD802 and it has successfully linked with my 2011 XF, run a scan, diagnosed/identified an intermittent DPF pressure sensor issue (P2452-95), reset my service interval (after a full B service). I will be trying the EPB service mode in the near future.

It comes with software for most brands, all the Euro, Asian and American major manufacturers.

I will be trying it on the Merc and Subaru latter this weekend.

Has anyone else tried an Autel?

The following users liked this post:
Thermite (07-10-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread and all the recommendations have my head swimming. I definitely need some assistance narrowing my choices down.

I have a 2001 XJR. I would like something that can read codes as well as clear them out if necessary. I have an Android phone but also have laptops available.

I thought I read something about certain readers being able to program FOBs? That might come in handy someday as my car did not come with any but I plan to get some.

I was eyeballing the BAFX but don't want to miss something better. Recommendations?

Old 05-13-2015, 06:28 PM

Is there any app for iPhone except DashCommand i have used DashCommand it has never connected the car! (X-Tyğe diesel)

Or shall i buy ELM327 bluetooth for torque pro?

Old 06-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

I have an icarsoft i930 which seems to do all the systems on my 2004 XJ6, most of the systems on my 2001 XK8 and one or two on my Wife's 1998 P38 Range Rover. It is manufacturer specific ie Jaguar Landrover and cost about £100. When setting up it lists all JLR vehicles which are OBD11 friendly and I wouldn't swear to it but I think it works as a general OBD11 scanner for any vehicle but maybe only for powertrain.

Thermite (07-10-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 09:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2003 S-Type R and picked up a CReader 6+ on amazon for $55. It reads/erases codes and records the fuel trims (a biggie for me). It even graphs and records live data

Thermite (07-10-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 09:12 AM
Received 133 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by PDMiller
I have an icarsoft i930 which seems to do all the systems on my 2004 XJ6, most of the systems on my 2001 XK8 and one or two on my Wife's 1998 P38 Range Rover. It is manufacturer specific ie Jaguar Landrover and cost about £100. When setting up it lists all JLR vehicles which are OBD11 friendly and I wouldn't swear to it but I think it works as a general OBD11 scanner for any vehicle but maybe only for powertrain.
Thank you for that, Pete

The i930 has been 'out there' for a while among German marque's and even advertised - at least in the UK - as either/both Jaguar & Land-Rover specific. Seems it is a product that has to have firmware loaded for a narrow range of vehicles, rather than the whole world (see VGate, below).

One vendor I've contacted sez that within model-year range, the LR model of the i930 also does Jag & the reverse. Which would make sense, given their common parentage and component vendor upstreams.

That said, I just re-read this thread from Big-Bang to now and AFAICS, yours is the first mention on here of the i930.

As cheaper/larger RAM/NVRAM, CPU, and displays have spilled-over from the *massive* handheld coms device market, the need for a laptop, iPhone, WinWOES, Android, or such has now (most thankfully!) finally vanished.

A VGate VS 890 I just bought has it all built-in - from 'many' protocols [1] to most of the world's vehicle brands and even lengthy (sometimes 'nested'), maker-specific code explanations.

Neat to watch all the 'happenings' with the motor in real-time, but....

It dasn't do ABS/DSC, SRS, transmission, tire/suspension, locks and coachwork features atall.

I'm now weighing between:

- i930 (newly mentioned herein...)

- Autel MaxiDiag Elite MD802 (previous mentions...)

- Launch X431 Creader VIII (also previously mentioned..)

Anyone else have further updates or present-day pro or con on any of those three - or their 'successors' within marque?

Thanks,

[1] If the VGate's comms diagnostics are not lying, it seems the 2005 XJ8-L supports SEVERAL of the many attach-point I/O coms protocols, BTW.

Those aren't the same critters as how it communicates on its own internal network, but still.. makes scan device connectivity easier than it mought otherwise be. Some folk with other marque's are less well-served.

Last edited by Thermite; 07-10-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:15 PM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts

So far, I am liking the Android Torque app combined with the Supper Mini Bluetooth Car Code Reader OBD II.

The app is very configurable and has a lot of add-ons available. The bluetooth dongle is listed here (USA):
Amazon.com: Supper Mini Bluetooth Car Code Reader Compatible with Android / Droid / Torque Support OBD2 OBD II: MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: Supper Mini Bluetooth Car Code Reader Compatible with Android / Droid / Torque Support OBD2 OBD II: MP3 Players & Accessories

Old 07-13-2015, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Thermite
Seems it is a product that has to have firmware loaded for a narrow range of vehicles, rather than the whole world (see VGate, below).

One vendor I've contacted sez that within model-year range, the LR model of the i930 also does Jag & the reverse. Which would make sense, given their common parentage and component vendor upstreams.
UPDATE: Several more back-and-forth with the vendor, and I'm advised the i930 he is selling really are all the same at a given firmware rev for all marque's. The listing by vehicle brand is just meant to make it easier for folks to find when searching goods for 'their' car.

We'll soon see. He had a sale on @ 137.95, free shipping,

Land Rover Diagnostic Scanner Tool ABS SRS Engine Code Reader Icarsoft i930 OBD2 | eBay

.. so one is bought and inbound arredy.

Now .. man can't ever have 'too many' tools, so ...about the Autel?

Mayhap it is just my personal Old Age and Bitchery, but the maker's own website seems to create more confusion than answers as to trying to choose between and among:

- MD802 ALL systems

- MD802 4 systems ( or 4 system +DS)

- MaxiCheck Pro

... so Autel gets pushed back to a later budget-period.

I haven't done a deep-dive on the Creader line yet.

More as it transpires...

Old 07-15-2015, 06:35 PM

Another UPDATE:

The iCarsoft i930 arrived two days earlier than expected, was attached to the XJ8-L 'at once' and I headed for a road with copious bad patches of pavement known to predictably trigger a fault - as it did.

The i930 correctly and immediately pinpointed the intermittent ABS/DSC fault to the right front wheel sensor having gone offline (known fault - cable or connector).

And cleared it.

Seems to communicate with the REST of what was in use as-at 2005 - such as 'cycling' the tuner/cd

- but I am NOT going to try to simulate faults all over the vehicle just to vet 'all possible' coverage. Rather, I shall wait and see...

That said, I am 'happy for now' to have bought it.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question ???

"UPDATE: Several more back-and-forth with the vendor, and I'm advised the i930 he is selling really are all the same at a given firmware rev for all marque's. The listing by vehicle brand is just meant to make it easier for folks to find when searching goods for 'their' car."

Does this mean the i930 reader will work on other brand cars and not just the specified brand,,,

I need the Jag abs stuff, but would like to use it on my other cars as well.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by williamd72
"UPDATE: Several more back-and-forth with the vendor, and I'm advised the i930 he is selling really are all the same at a given firmware rev for all marque's. The listing by vehicle brand is just meant to make it easier for folks to find when searching goods for 'their' car."

Does this mean the i930 reader will work on other brand cars and not just the specified brand,,,

I need the Jag abs stuff, but would like to use it on my other cars as well.
Seems very much so if the menu can be trusted, though I don't have a lot to test with - 2 of my other vehicles being pre-OBDC.

The vendor had included a slip of paper that all the units he shipped would have been uploaded to the most-current iCarsoft revision as-at ship date. It comes with a USB cable to uplink for that.

When first plugged-in, it showed only Jaguar and Land Rover. That was apparently also a pre-select by the vendor, as I had been in contact with him about that very issue, as previously noted here.

After messing around with it, connecting and disconnecting from the XJ8-L, at one point I found myself back into the top-level menu with a loooong list of marques and had to select the Jaguar, then which year-range and type.

On another note, the display is colour, very crisp, bright, and fairly easy to read even in rather adverse lighting conditions but..

.. parts of it use a seriously TINY font. With my bionic cataract lenses, I can read that OK. Others might want to stow a pair of drug-store magnifier reading glasses in the spacious case it comes with.

So far, I am pleased enough that I have taken the Autel (about $100 to $150 more costly, depending on how purchased) and the Creader (about $50 -$75 more costly) OFF my shopping list - at least until after rotating-out some of my other vehicles for new(er) ones.

YMMV, but at the price, most of the recent generations of these gadgets can save-back their cost in just one go, so I'm putting an 'appropriate' one in glovebox or boot of each vehicle right along with the emergency kit and basic tools. The old Dodge Caravan got the simpler thutty-dollah Innova 3030 as a hand-me-down, for example.

The VGate I'll keep with my shop tools. With a detachable cable, common DB-25 at the device end, it's a bit handier to extend for underhood engine-centric work.

Last edited by Thermite; 07-16-2015 at 12:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thermite:
JimMLiny (10-15-2015), williamd72 (07-17-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 07:58 PM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

any of these will work except the BMW GT1

WE HAVE JAGUAR IDS,SDD,LAUNCH SCAN

PAD 101,AUTEL MAXYSIS IN FRONT,I USED RWS ON FAR RIGHT FOR P38 CHASSIS ROVERS,AND A SMALLER LAUNCH CREADER 8 UP TOP IN BMW,SO DONT WORRY ABOUT IT...ITS OVER 6000.00 IN THIS SCREEN,BUT SDD IS THE WAY TO GO...

diagnostic equipment

Old 08-07-2015, 05:08 PM

looking for a scanner tested on 1999 xj8

regards,

Ray Robinson

Old 08-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I expect an elm327 works.... With Torque if you have Android.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

I'm looking for a good handheld unit to be used on a 2000 XJ8.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...canner-152290/

Quick Reply: OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved **