General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Something for everyone to read!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 11:21 AM
Photobucket
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts
Default Something for everyone to read!

I have known about this idea for quite some time, but I have never seen it covered so well top to bottom.

This is the car companies getting in bed with Government.

Speak out every chance you get.

GM, Ford, And Others Want to Make Working on Your Own Car Illegal - Boldride.com

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/20/a...s-car-repairs/

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 04-23-2015 at 11:39 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by xjrguy:
andrew lowe (04-24-2015), Doug (04-24-2015), Grant Francis (04-23-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I agree that this is disturbing. I'm against it.

However, I think some clarification might be in order. I've read a number of articles and I think there a bit of sensational journalism afoot.

It appears that all this relates to ECUs/programmable/electronics firmware type stuff. I think it pertains to custom tuning, ECU repair, and the like. I can't see anything where manufacturers think they can summarily make all forms of DIY auto repair "illegal" as many articles imply.

Next, this is often being represented/misunderstood as a government action. I don't believe that's the case. The *manufacturers* have initiated this and are trying to use the 1998 DMCA patent law to restrict DIY repairs. The US Patent Office is necessarily involved but it appears this has a lot more to do with big business ($$$) than it does big government.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-24-2015, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

DMCA is administered by the US Copyright Office, not the USPTO.

The automakers are not trying to use the DMCA as it exists, but rather are trying to
get it changed to disallow the current exemption on firmware.

How serious is it? You could possibly see an end to third party diagnostic equipment:

Law360, Los Angeles (September 29, 2014, 9:45 PM ET) -- Ford Motor Co. sued vehicle diagnostic equipment company Autel US Inc. and an affiliate on Monday in Michigan federal court, alleging Autel had hacked into one of Ford's software programs and copied information for use in its diagnostic tools.

In a 19-page complaint, Ford claimed Huntington, New York-based Autel had crafted a program to unlawfully gain access to and copy its trade secrets and used Ford's signature "Oval" trademark without its authorization or a license.

"By wrongfully acquiring Ford’s trade secrets, by misappropriating them for Autel’s own...
You would henceforth be forced to buy diagnostic equipment from the manufacturers,
on terms they dictate, at prices they dictate ... if you qualify as an acceptable buyer
at all.

Exemptions are a hotly contested area rife with vested self interest.

Automobile manufacturers form 2 of the more than 25 classes of copyright
exemption being contested:

Section 1201: Second Round of Comments | U.S. Copyright Office

In my view, if I am using a piece of software, while I might not be allowed to
alter the software, I ought to be able to look at it, and plug in the
data values of my choice.

Otherwise, it would be similar to buying a license to use Microsoft Excel
under the express prohibition of ever looking at the software or plugging
any data values into the cells. That would be clearly unacceptable.

And finally:

Comments from equipment manufacturer John Deere took a more condescending tone toward independent and amateur mechanics, noting that circumventing protected technology should be "against public policy because individual vehicle owners do not have the technological resources to provide safe, reliable and lawful software for repair, diagnosis or some dubious 'aftermarket personalization, modification or other improvement' that is not directed toward repair or diagnosis of the vehicle."
Sure ... this is after the manufacturer has outsourced all of the development to
a company that has low-bid the contract and has subsequently staffed the
project with the most junior, cheapest programmers they can find.

Been there, done that ... fixed their crap in all kinds of industries.

++

Last edited by plums; 04-24-2015 at 02:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Doug (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
I have known about this idea for quite some time, but I have never seen it covered so well top to bottom.

This is the car companies getting in bed with Government.

Speak out every chance you get.

GM, Ford, And Others Want to Make Working on Your Own Car Illegal - Boldride.com

Automakers to gearheads: Stop repairing cars

Cheers,
I am surprised that the American manufacturers would even think that the public would would ever let that happen.

The Hot Rod/ Speed Shop industry/ hobby must be worth $Billions to the American economy, let alone the the collector car/ restoration sector.

If this was allowed to happen, how many people will be made redundant?

Old 04-24-2015, 10:23 AM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
I am surprised that the American manufacturers would even think that the public would would ever let that happen.
The American public is pretty much neutered and unaware of anything outside of their facebook postings, their favorite boob tube characters, and taking selfies.

In dealing with the public, if you have low expectations, you will never be disappointed.

Good example: look at the mouthbreathers we elect to office.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:06 AM
Photobucket
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew lowe

The Hot Rod/ Speed Shop industry/ hobby must be worth $Billions to the American economy, let alone the the collector car/ restoration sector.

If this was allowed to happen, how many people will be made redundant?
BD said it best, neutered public.

I should have said, 'This is the car companies getting in bed with Government and Government Regulation'.

Forty years ago, new regulations were fought tooth and nail by car companies. Today regs are so pervasive that they adapt. Instead of fighting them, they are resigned to them and instead do what they can to profit from them. That's what a business does to benefit the shareholders. Now, Gov't is a partner of sorts. Remember 'Cash for Clunkers'? Remember Gov't imposed dealer shutdowns at GM and Chrysler when it was a stakeholder. Made leaner, more profitable companies, no matter who got hurt.

I could go on, but I don't want to get overly political. The point is, the American public does not get the same consideration it once did. Everyone reacts, and votes, by what the effect is on their pocketbook.

Can you say, Iowa farmers.......... ethanol???

Cheers,