Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking transmission oil cooler line

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking transmission oil cooler line - help

I have a 2004 S-Type with a 4.2...

I just heard from the shop (Stevinson Jag in Denver...seem to be good people) that my oil leak is actually transmission oil leaking from the trans oil cooler hose near fitting at the top of the radiator. The quote was $1050.00. I realize alot of this is for fluid, etc, too.

The transmission has been throwing fault codes (and sticking gears), and I was told this is because the fluid is low.

Is this something I should leave to the experts?

I just don't have the extra funds at the moment. It may be time to take it home and park it.

Brice

Last edited by bcave; 11-16-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: add help to topic
Old 11-17-2010, 05:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Yikes, Brice...

With the codes and performance, yes, park it. How long and how much has it been leaking? One of my lines is "wet" at the rubber to metal joint but never even leaves a drip on the under-tray.

I'm sure the lines are similar from the 3.0 to the 4.2. They are single piece lines that run under/over many other mounts and components. I would tackle it myself if I had a lift. You will also need to be able to support various components like steering an such since the front cross-member may have to come down. I haven't really looked that close. With the proper tools and lift it does look pretty straight forward.

If it was mine, since I don't have a lift, I would find a local shop that would be willing to work with me. Purchase your own parts and work with the garage on the labor. I don't know how much the lines cost, but Nalley Jaguar is a sponsor at this site and has some of the best prices. For another 3 bills I would get the ZF service kit that has been talked about on here (http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=p...d=186&parent=8) along with some extra fluid and the often talked about "sleeve". I would then do a complete service and change the lines.

Hope that helps and more importantly I really hope that no damage was done to the trans.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:28 AM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default check threads for my earlier post..

Had the same problem on my 2006 4.2. If you can't find my previous post,let me know and I'll elaborate. Essentially, the Jag dealer in the PacificNorthwest charged about $670, parts, labor, and fluid. Because the line was weaping, rather than leaking, only one litre of fluid was required andI suspect most of that was lost when the line was changed. There are actually two lines; however they are replaced as one unit (part). It's laborintensive since the mechanic has to drop the subframe to remove the lines.After you have it done, ensure that the steering wheel is aligned properlybefore leaving the dealership...mine wasn't...off about 10 to 12 degrees...andI had to return the car to get this fixed. If you're going to keep the car fora few more years, you might want to change the pan and fluid at the same time.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

I have been throwing codes very rarely off and on for a few months. This could have indicated a slow, undetectable leak. I saw a puddle of fluid a month ago and couldn't figure out where it came from. I thought it ws my truck or a delivery vehicle (we have had septic and propane guys out).

Just last week I took it to the dealership to get an oil change. I started it up and let it sit to warm up on Sunday night and when I moved it there was a puddle (little less than dinner plate size). I can see drips from the subframe where the oil is leaking down the line and hitting the support.

Since this only happens when the system is pressurized, it could have been leaking while we were driving, and we just didn't notice (it is my wife's car).

I don't have a lift so I think I might leave it up to someone else. The local Jag Owners Group has some references for local shops. I will call around.

Thanks for the refs and links on the parts. I will talk with the shop I select about paying for parts myself.

Anyone else have any shop references in the Denver area?

Brice

Old 11-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

You have a local Jag owners group??
That's pretty cool!!